But then you would have to move them to WA as well. Thats a lot of transponder space.

True; I meant just moving the channels, not moving the satellite. What's 77 being used for? I still have the 1000.4 EA dish.

Reactions: pattykay
Considering how dishworld has a lot of foreign Services now, I would think that instead of investing in another satellite and spending more money for leasing a slot, dish will simply move all the Internationals to the dish World Service where people can stream the channels. they can also enhance the dishworld service for a DVR like they do sling TV today perhaps. and as Charlie said in one past quarterly earnings call, "If I were building Dish Network today, I would not be investing in satellites."

It just makes so much sense to provide the Internationals exclusively to the streaming service. The cost savings would be tremendous, and that particular audience demographic isn't expecting picture in picture and Hopper 3 sort of magic. IMHO, in the long run, near the end of life of Anik3 at 118.7 dish Internationals are going to Dish World. Also, I think the Canadian government mandate that 118.7 must return to use for Canadian services and Canadian people at Anik3 the end of life or end of Dish leasing is still in effect. That was the condition the Canadian government required in allowing the Canadian company to lease Canadian slot and satellite to Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Considering how dishworld has a lot of foreign Services now, I would think that instead of investing in another satellite and spending more money for leasing a slot, dish will simply move all the Internationals to the dish World Service where people can stream the channels. they can also enhance the dishworld service for a DVR like they do sling TV today perhaps. and as Charlie said in one past quarterly earnings call, "If I were building Dish Network today, I would not be investing in satellites."

It just makes so much sense to provide the Internationals exclusively to the streaming service. The cost savings would be tremendous, and that particular audience demographic isn't expecting picture in picture and Hopper 3 sort of magic. IMHO, in the long run, near the end of life of Anik3 at 118.7 dish Internationals are going to Dish World. Also, I think the Canadian government mandate that 118.7 must return to use for Canadian services and Canadian people at Anik3 the end of life or end of Dish leasing.
Do you know when end of DISH leasing?

I believe it was based on the full 15-year life of the satellite. By the expected end of life for anik F3 the world would have changed even more. all the channels I watch are filled with sling TV ads and maybe only a dish add here and there. it's clear Charlie's betting on sling TV (the streaming model) and his very secretive wireless service, while dish continues to serve its purposes.

as as Nelson 61 said anak F3 is 10 years old. So at the very least five years however these satellites can sometimes last a few years beyond its expected end of life. it all depends on how the satellite was configured such as power consumed, sufficient fuel necessary for the the most recent mandate that satellites must be put much further out from orbit in their graveyard, and a fair degree of luck that all the parts keep on working past the end of life expectancy or of course it could die before expected end of life. who knows? they keep their fingers crossed.

I think and I stress I think the Canadian mandate might be a whichever comes first be it Anik3 end of life or dishes end of lease. However this isn't to say that the Canadian government might agree to a very short extension or what have you for good cause, but at some point , near that Day of Reckoning, the Canadian government wants that slot back for the use of Canadian services or for the Canadian people as per written agreement.

as as Nelson 61 said anak F3 is 10 years old. So at the very least five years however these satellites can sometimes last a few years beyond its expected end of life. it all depends on how the satellite was configured such as power consumed, sufficient fuel necessary for the the most recent mandate that satellites must be put much further out from orbit in their graveyard, and a fair degree of luck that all the parts keep on working past the end of life expectancy or of course it could die before expected end of life. who knows? they keep their fingers crossed.

I think and I stress I think the Canadian mandate might be a whichever comes first be it Anik3 end of life or dishes end of lease. However this isn't to say that the Canadian government might agree to a very short extension or what have you for good cause, but at some point , near that Day of Reckoning, the Canadian government wants that slot back for the use of Canadian services or for the Canadian people as per written agreement.
Thanks, good info.

I really don’t think Canada is chomping at the bit to get that satellite capability back. They don’t seem to be short.

Give it another 5 years, nearly everyone will be getting on the bandwagon to stream. The number of Roku channels has skyrocket in 2017. Even some OTA sub channels stream for free like the Comet, Re'vn, Tuff TV, KOOL TV, and others. It is just a matter of time. Charge! streams but not on the Roku as yet. There is a lot of International fare on the Roku for free, plus a lot of International News channels in English.

Give it another 5 years, nearly everyone will be getting on the bandwagon to stream.

What do you mean by "nearly everyone"? How many Americans currently lack the bandwidth to stream? And what will get that to them affordably within 5 years?

I really don’t think Canada is chomping at the bit to get that satellite capability back. They don’t seem to be short.
you have to you have to factor in the how Canadian politicians have something of a hatred of the United States. it's pretty shocking. They didn't even cooperate with us and trying to keep out known terrorists when coming through Canada into our country, and Canadian politicians seem to have an attitude like the United States isn't going to tell them nothing. this is what the Canadian politicians imposed not necessarily the Canadian people. to the Canadian politicians it's a moral cause, a crusade. It just burns them that their Canadian slot that's supposed to be for Canadian programming etcetera is being used by the USA. of course the lease to dish was good for Canadian business, so the government had to go along, but only with the stipulation of getting the slot back to Canada what is Canada's. this is the rant like attitude of the Canadian politicians not necessarily the Canadian people. to summarize the Canadian politicians just don't like the USA nor the people of the USA, and they think the US contaminates Canadian culture. this doesn't necessarily reflect the view of the Canadian people.

Most people do have access to one form or another of high speed. Affordability may be keeping some away. Add in Cel tower or satellite internet, most people do have some form of access. Here, we do not have DSL, but cable runs in here giving me about 60. But 60 is not needed to stream even HD. Add to that, some TV stations with ATSC 3.0 that is coming may offer internet service too. I had a friend who lived out in the sticks in So Cal with no access to DSL or Cable. He went with satellite at about $50 a month giving him 12-20. Our cel service here offers internet too.

Sat tv customers are "sticky" or lazy. They tend to stay with what they have for years or until they die.

So, the providers don't like to rock the boat or ask the customer to change anything, because then the customer may instead look for greener grass.

I doubt dish will do anything to rock the 118.7 boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts