12/08/08 Charlie Chat Will be Deal Breaker !

Not going anywhere. I didn't watch enough Voom to warrant missing it when it got yanked. And between National Geographic channel, Smithsonian, Discovery and all the premiums in HD, I have more than enough to warrant continuing. I MAY however, see my presence here limited if all the Voom whining continues. :rolleyes:

:up :up :up

Yes lets keep the Voom commenting in the VOOM GOES BOOM thread. On going VOOM talk outside that specific VOOM thread will be deleted.

Is programming the only thing Charlie chats aobut? In my opinion, the sound dropouts are a much more severe problem. I agree that Dish has superior hardware but I'm seriously considering the switch to DirecTV if this sound problem does not get fixrd soon or at least addressed by Dish. I'm beginning to think that it's either an unfixable problem that will be aroung forever or sonething that Dish does not see as an important issue.

Last edited:
For me, Dish has until Feb. For one, as a Dish HD Absolute customer, I don't really know for sure what is happening to my package then. But, the price will probably go up. So that will make me start looking at my options. But unless DirecTV can match the price of the top Dish HD only pack, I don't know if I can justify leaving.

Plus, by Feb, we should know a lot more about the 922. That one might just be an HD game-changer.

I'm sticking with Dish for a while longer. I've been a customer for a very long time, and don't want to jump ship just because they've been leapfrogged for the moment by DirecTV and to a lesser extent by AT&T.

We'll see what things look like in late 2009 after they've had plenty of time to work out the technical issues getting Viacom up in HD and the legal issues with regards to News Corp.

People will take from each chat what they want (most likely, what makes them feel good).

If you are unhappy with Dish's HD offerings and are thinking of switching then the Chat will most likely confirm your predisposition. If you like Dish then a failure on the part of Charlie to announce new national HD won't make much of a difference.

After all, most likely the emphasis will be on "in 2009", which gives Charlie a lot of time to wiggle around and dangle the national HD carrot in front of current and prospective subscribers.

I think that they will add more National HD.. But for me I think getting the Ciel 2 up will be just as important on how things will look for the future. Lets all hope things go well this Wednesday..

I think that they will add more National HD.. But for me I think getting the Ciel 2 up will be just as important on how things will look for the future. Lets all hope things go well this Wednesday..

No joke... I've been worried about this ever since the last spectacular failure. :)

For the most part I'm satisfied with E*, especially given the cost differential between E* and D* to get the same setup I have now. However, my locals just were added in HD to D*, so that right there has me leaning towards switching to D* once my contract expires in May.

The 7 or 8 channels possible right now would be great, but I'd have to agree; the cacophony of "Still nothing new" will grow very loud next year if Ceil 2 runs into failure...

As for the chat, instead of getting worked up about it... make it into a drinking game. Every time they say "Soon" take a shot. Good times to be had by all :D

Don't expect new programming announcements because the only one that will be announced is the Golf/VS split. Charlie doesn't announce programming till AFTER it launches (u never know when a last minute price fight might occur)

Last Spring was the exception. He showed hd channel logos of what MAY be coming to Dish.

I've got a different wish list than the rest of you. My wish is probably unrealistic and unobtainable. It's fueled by our country being in a recession and perhaps on the brink of a depression.

Maybe it's because it was officially announced today that the state of Michigan, where I live, has been in a recession since 2000. While the rest of the country recovered in 2002, we did not pull out of it. The only thing on the horizon for us is more misery.

Yes, I'd like a price cut!

I'll duck for cover now. :eek:

I've got a different wish list than the rest of you. My wish is probably unrealistic and unobtainable. It's fueled by our country being in a recession and perhaps on the brink of a depression.

Maybe it's because it was officially announced today that the state of Michigan, where I live, has been in a recession since 2000. While the rest of the country recovered in 2002, we did not pull out of it. The only thing on the horizon for us is more misery.

Yes, I'd like a price cut!

I'll duck for cover now. :eek:

Do you get tired of people saying, "just move"? I live in Arkansas. Though our economy has been growing well ever since 2000, that wasn't always the case. I got tired of people saying, "just move away... move to California or Florida where all the jobs are!" This is my home. My family is here. My business contacts are here. I'd rather be middle class here than upper class in California. Nothing against California... it just isn't home.

Nowadays I know exactly how folks in the rust belt and the Great Lakes region feel... they're going through the same thing we went through in the South several years ago.

Hope things pick up for you guys soon, I really do. Hang in there! :up

Do you get tired of people saying, "just move"? I live in Arkansas. Though our economy has been growing well ever since 2000, that wasn't always the case. I got tired of people saying, "just move away... move to California or Florida where all the jobs are!" This is my home. My family is here. My business contacts are here. I'd rather be middle class here than upper class in California. Nothing against California... it just isn't home.

Nowadays I know exactly how folks in the rust belt and the Great Lakes region feel... they're going through the same thing we went through in the South several years ago.

Hope things pick up for you guys soon, I really do. Hang in there! :up
Well, I don't want to turn this into a politically oriented thread, but besides the sentiments you just spoke of, you can't hardly sell a house here at all. The neighbor next door has had his place up for sale for over 5 years. There are for sale signs everywhere and many of those are in foreclosure.

If you're a renter, well yeah it's easy to get out. If you're a homeowner, you're between a rock and a hard place.

Statements like just move away are just plain unrealistic.

IIRC, the Charlie Chat in March was a few days before AMC14 launch...where I believe Charlie announced all sorts of upcoming HD...and now we have a CChat tonight and Ciel 2 launch on Wednesday...what are the odds.........?

The reason is I really don't see how they can have new HD until Ciel 2 is running. That will be in early 09.

They just added a bunch of HD PPVs, and there are 7 more Temp HDs that were just uplinked. Plus the slot being vacated by Gold/VS.

And people who know better than me will probably tell you that there's even more room available.