12 Foot Vs 10 Foot Dishes...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Pictures I posted were 100% legit and I stand by them. They were my own personal pics. If another member owns a Tek2000 dish, post your pics of your dish to confirm that my pics are indeed real.

It seems like pwrsurge has serious psychological problems and is obsessed with anyone selling C-band dishes.

I never claimed that what you posted are not legitimate pictures of a Tek2000 dish. What I am claiming is that your pictures were taken at your Tek2000 headquarters in Toronto, Canada.

If your "personal" pictures were actually taken at your home then why is your dish installed on a flat roof building located in a commercial district? :what

3dB RF gain s/n would significantly decrease the Bit Error Rate, thus the major increase in Q. Remember the increase in reflector area from a 10' to a 12' is much larger than the mini-bud antenna (4') some are able to get C-band signals on itself... Can't go wrong with a bigger reflector; as long as you have the real-estate, providing cost is not a factor.
Cable company in the nearest town has a small head-end with one 12' dish and one (maybe 15") dish both with multiple feedhorns. They were recently bought out by a major cable provider... I am watching VERY carefully to find out what they are going to do with these dishes... they are commercial Andrews units and would look REALLY nice in my back yard. I have a meeting planned with one of their engineers later in June when they plan on starting the switchover to their own feed from up north. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

For what its worth, anything posted by pwrsurge should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems that he has his own agenda and most of the time he is plugging his own product, and Rooneysat seems to be following in his footsteps (hmm plugging Canadian/Chinese products could they be the same person).

You are correct about pwrsurge. He owns an FTA store, whereas I sell nothing.

The only reason pwrsurge attacks anyone selling C-Band dishes, or anyone mentioning a vendor that sells C-Band dishes or mocking anyone who starts a thread about demand for C-Band dishes, is because he has a vested interest in selling you Ku-Band dishes and receivers for such signals. He clearly doesn't want people to be aware that a C-Band dish will bring in hundreds of additional high-quality, high-bandwidth HD channels, in addition to all the KU stuff. You guys understand now?

He also has a special relationship with Shaw Satellite in Canada (probably an installer), so he doesn't want the "sheep" testing C-Band or even considering doing so.

So just ignore him. If you are in the market for FTA and thinking about cutting cable or DBS subscription, and you have the room, go with an 8ft or 10ft C-Band dish.

You are correct about pwrsurge. He owns an FTA store, whereas I sell nothing.

The only reason pwrsurge attacks anyone selling C-Band dishes, or anyone mentioning a vendor that sells C-Band dishes or mocking anyone who starts a thread about demand for C-Band dishes, is because he has a vested interest in selling you Ku-Band dishes and receivers for such signals. He clearly doesn't want people to be aware that a C-Band dish will bring in hundreds of additional high-quality, high-bandwidth HD channels, in addition to all the KU stuff. You guys understand now?

He also has a special relationship with Shaw Satellite in Canada (probably an installer), so he doesn't want the "sheep" testing C-Band or even considering doing so.

So just ignore him. If you are in the market for FTA and thinking about cutting cable or DBS subscription, and you have the room, go with an 8ft or 10ft C-Band dish.

I have multiple 10-foot dishes up already. I live in Ontario, and have shopped in pwrsurge AKA "Dr Sat's" store. What you are stating has not been my experience at all.

It appears that you are ticked off because he (and others) are skeptical about the tek2000 dishes, and because they are wanting more information about a dish that you said you've bought. Why are you upset about that?? Just post some up to date pics and no one would be skeptical anymore. Sheesh. You've done more to eliminate sales of c-band dishes from a potential c-band dish provider in North America than anyone else. That's obvious to anyone who's read the threads. Post some pictures and info and maybe people will get interested in large c-band dishes from tek2000. Or don't, and people will continue to be skeptical of you and tek2000 and not buy a c-band dish.
:deadhorse

Pwrsurge (aka "Dr Sat") helped me get into c-band. I subbed 4DTV through him in the past (yes, that's right - C-Band 4DTV). I've bought various c-band related items from him including actuators, LNBFs, etc. He's given me useful tips for things like modding a feedhorn to attach a second c-band LNBF for circular signals on the eastern satellites. His website has a useful listing of channels, transponders, etc for c-band signals that I've used to help align my dishes. Et cetera, et cetera.

He also sells Shaw satellite. So what? That's his business, he needs to make money, and surprise surprise, FTA doesn't pay all the bills (duh!). FTA is great for a hobby, but clearly it doesn't allow people to get all the channels they want. Nor can many/most potential customers put up a large c-band dish.

I'm happy that his store exists and promotes FTA. Even if he also sells a subscription service, in my direct experience he's also supported c-band and FTA with me.

Now my disclaimer: I'm not saying that I agree with everything pwrsurge has said on this board or others. I am saying that he clearly promotes FTA including c-band. Re-read this again and let it sink in.

I started this thread to ask about direct experience between a 10-foot and 12-foot dish, and if it's worth it to try to find a 12-footer. I appreciate all the commentary related to answering that question from all the posters, including your comments rooneysat. But it's not right to lash out at someone with false accusations, and your statements about pwrsurge regarding promoting c-band are false, in my direct experience.

Thank you to everyone who has posted - tdti1, cham, mmewrench, xizer, primestar31, titanium, 77ta, FaT Air. It's helped me decide that I want to find a good 12 foot dish. I won't consider a tek2000 dish at this point, even if I could come up with the $900 (taxes and conversion from USD to CDN dollars).

sgs

Last edited:
If you live on the west coast; a 12 footer will be better for all "extra" channels too (it's way south and west of Hawaii). Let alone the greatness of C Band; you are not the only dbs guy to try to say no residential services. But some people really do put them into homes, apartments; and of course "the condo's". Not only that, any dbs guy isn't even worth the words they say about what they do not do. Your soul is too self-centered, you might need not fix your clients a "better dish"; but you are not any good at (nor competent) to say anything else.

The dependence on where you live will determine every beam pattern. In the mid-west, most are much stronger than in the past (and NA); and "rollin 8's" get's most monkeys off the signals back there. But you move any direction away from middle earth; and there are really good reasons to go that way. 2 degree spacing is very rigid though, and 10's are the norm. "the wind" is a big dishes most problematic aspect; and then you need 1) greatness of rigid materials 2) solid pole; arc right on; 3) good motor skills; to receive the satellite signals Commercially or Residentially; because in today's digital world; they have narrow width of bandwidth for each channel; causing the required channel to need it's "absolute best signal" it (the 8-12 foot dish) can get! The problem then becomes what channels can I afford. What extra channels can i get. What can i save in monthly costs. What channels am i going to get?

And a C Band dish also can receive ALL SATELLITE SIGNALS, and alll dbs, no matter what provider's say (what dish they use)@! In fact, the signal received from dbs is SO STRONG using a C Band dish; it is way, far and away better than the little mini dish they give you !!! And every provider that does broadcast even in most countries; is also (if you live there or far away spot beams). So you see; what works "better" then? One dish that can get it "all"; or if you just want espn3; that you will have to move to another country Even if you do not want to use the Big Ugly dish; IT STILL WILL EVEN GENERATE ELECTRICITY SO YOU CAN GO OFF-GRID and is also used as a telescope to see "galaxies, moons, stars, spy's, and saving of lives"!

Last edited:
In addendum: Bigger is better (even if it is a pile of metal). I apologize for going on and on, but I am older now and I do get cranky every once upon a time! And more than one bud will do more than one thing!

Personally; i can take a 10 foot satellite dish; lay it flat on the ground; facing straight up; and receive any channel I want (but i have to tie the dish to the ground so it will not move!

And if I put 2 motors on it; I can barbecue my steak on it (or boil my egg's just right)!

And, if I want; I will do about anything it can do!

Last edited:
Currently have 4 10 footers in the system and no 12 footer in use to do any comparison...However a good friend of mine just gave me a 12 foot Cosmos and am itching to get it going..Will need to do some fab and machining work to set it up with my AJAK 180...Very well built dish BTW.!..If all goes well within a few weeks I can chime in on the yard tinkering and gain difference between the current 10 footers and the new Cosmos.

Decision on my mind now is to pull 1 of the 4 down or just add a 5th pole..lol..

Can someone perhaps enlighten us as to how many more channels and which ones a 12 footer would get over a 10 footer?

I have an 8 footer, and it get almost everything. If I upgraded to 10 ft, I would probably just get a lot more signal gain and perhaps lock a couple more channels, but realistically, how much more would you get out of a 12 footer.

Well... if there is a couple of TPs you can't quite lock with a 10 footer...

Also the 16 and 32psk modes are more likely possible with the bigger dish.

I have found quite a difference between and 8' and 10' reflector, I do have both. Lots of marginal signals on the 8 footer that are rock solid on the 10. Network feeds etc...

Reactions: The Rage
Rooneysat. This bs with you and pwrsurge needs to stop now. (And the same thing for him as well)

There was very valid concern over the Tek dishes the came out of no where for and unheard of price with no real pictures or descriptions except for the one pic that looked like it was taken in 1999 and a website that was created in 1999 from a company no one had ever heard of. And no one else was able to find new mesh dishes in North America. And no one ever heard of a Canadian made dish. (These dishes may be boxed in Canada but they are not made in Canada.)

Another thing that made me nervous about them was I contacted them twice and never got a reply back. Which I find odd since I run north Americas largest satellite site. A lot of people trust me and my opinion and if I told them to avoid tek2000 because of my reasons above many of them would.

The way you come here and keep mention this dish and company had me suspecting that you are Tek2000 just like Pwrsurge is Dr Sat.

If your going to come here to try porting your dish please go away and spam someplace else.

However if you are here to support the product then welcome as helping one another is what we are all about.

The reason we got rid of sponsors here is because many members thought they couldn't get support for a product they did not buy from our sponsors. Doing this was not an invitation for any company to come here and spam their their stuff here.

We do have other ways to talk about products including our Satellite Nation radio show. I would love to hear someone besides joe talking about his products. :)

Again what I said above goes for both you and Serge. Enough of the fighting and fake names. And on to helping our members get the most from these products. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Currently have 4 10 footers in the system and no 12 footer in use to do any comparison...However a good friend of mine just gave me a 12 foot Cosmos and am itching to get it going..Will need to do some fab and machining work to set it up with my AJAK 180...Very well built dish BTW.!..If all goes well within a few weeks I can chime in on the yard tinkering and gain difference between the current 10 footers and the new Cosmos.

Decision on my mind now is to pull 1 of the 4 down or just add a 5th pole..lol..

That is a good friend, indeed. I wish I had a friend giving a me a 12 foot dish!

I'm looking forward to your feedback, Hockeynut. And, I'd go for a 5th big dish if you have room. Much easier to monkey around with, when you have +1 more dishes up!

sgs

ps - got any pics? I'd like to see the dish farm :)

Reactions: norman881
Rooneysat. This bs with you and pwrsurge needs to stop now. (And the same thing for him as well)

There was very valid concern over the Tek dishes the came out of no where for and unheard of price with no real pictures or descriptions except for the one pic that looked like it was taken in 1999 and a website that was created in 1999 from a company no one had ever heard of. And no one else was able to find new mesh dishes in North America. And no one ever heard of a Canadian made dish. (These dishes may be boxed in Canada but they are not made in Canada.)

Another thing that made me nervous about them was I contacted them twice and never got a reply back. Which I find odd since I run north Americas largest satellite site. A lot of people trust me and my opinion and if I told them to avoid tek2000 because of my reasons above many of them would.

The way you come here and keep mention this dish and company had me suspecting that you are Tek2000 just like Pwrsurge is Dr Sat.

If your going to come here to try porting your dish please go away and spam someplace else.

However if you are here to support the product then welcome as helping one another is what we are all about.

The reason we got rid of sponsors here is because many members thought they couldn't get support for a product they did not buy from our sponsors. Doing this was not an invitation for any company to come here and spam their their stuff here.

We do have other ways to talk about products including our Satellite Nation radio show. I would love to hear someone besides joe talking about his products. :)

Again what I said above goes for both you and Serge. Enough of the fighting and fake names. And on to helping our members get the most from these products. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As it's fairly difficult to make enough money to survive in a market as niche as FTA satellite hobbyists in North America, I can't see why someone would pretend to be a customer instead of answering questions and offering direct support to members of this forum. Unfortunately, there is very little money to be made in the residential FTA satellite market in North America unless you are involved in satellite piracy and even then, that market is also challenged with the increasing amount of people who are abandoning satellite and using internet streaming instead in order to pirate their TV content. Most of the current distributors of legitimate FTA equipment in the North American market are not looking to make lots of money but rather to support their love of the FTA hobby in North America.

Also, I can't see why some people have issues with certain distributors also being involved in other businesses. T134 operates Fridge FTA and also Amiko Americas, Titanium operates Titanium Satellite and is involved with SatelliteAV and yes, I PwrSurge operate AzBox Canada/US and am involved with Dr. Sat as well. We should be grateful and appreciate the time, effort and investment that all distributors of FTA satellite equipment make in order to supply quality products in this niche market.

Thank you for your understanding,

Reactions: sgs
That is a good friend, indeed. I wish I had a friend giving a me a 12 foot dish!

I'm looking forward to your feedback, Hockeynut. And, I'd go for a 5th big dish if you have room. Much easier to monkey around with, when you have +1 more dishes up!

sgs

ps - got any pics? I'd like to see the dish farm :)

Here ya go right here in this thread sgs.Post # 571

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/pics-of-the-dish-farm-post-yours-too.131140/page-29

I think I will go with a 5th pole instead of taking 1 of the 10 footers down...Will post pics of the project as it progresses and give feedback on the 12 footer...

SGS... Regarding a 10 vs 12 footer. One thing to keep in mind is the mathematic reality that a larger dish has a narrower bandwidth. What this means in practical terms is a 12 footer will need to track the arc more accurately than a 10 footer. If you want to use the bigger dish for Ku also expect to have to spend even more time getting that 12 footer balls-on accurate.

I moved from a 8 foot fairly crappy Sadoun dish to a commercial DH spun aluminum 10 footer. The difference was huge. Channels on 87w I could not lock at all are maxed out now. I do not have any receivers that process 32PSK so that is not even an issue for me.

===
Bill

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
I had an old junky 12' once before, falling apart when I put it up, and mostly fell apart on its own by the next summer. It was fun to play with, and I could tell a huge difference in signals with it, over my 10' SAMI even before I got serious about the digital side. The mesh in this one had holes so big I think you could run an entire pencil through-not just the lead point, lol so I never even tried to put a ku feed on it. It might've worked somewhat anyway just because of its size. I enjoyed just moving it with the remote while I was outdoors. Kind of like watching one of those radio telescope dishes! Hard to work on it though, had to run it over to 137 before I could reach the feedhorn.

SGS... Regarding a 10 vs 12 footer. One thing to keep in mind is the mathematic reality that a larger dish has a narrower bandwidth. What this means in practical terms is a 12 footer will need to track the arc more accurately than a 10 footer. If you want to use the bigger dish for Ku also expect to have to spend even more time getting that 12 footer balls-on accurate.

I moved from a 8 foot fairly crappy Sadoun dish to a commercial DH spun aluminum 10 footer. The difference was huge. Channels on 87w I could not lock at all are maxed out now. I do not have any receivers that process 32PSK so that is not even an issue for me.

===
Bill

I will second that. My 12 footer took a lot longer to dial in then the 10 footer did, but the return was well worth the extra work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts