12 footer found!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good find! Nice condition for the age. I wouldn't worry about modifying the design. It looks well built for areas out of the path of a hurricane. Clean it up and enjoy C-band. Agree, the buttonhook design will sure simplify FD setting!

Mesh overlap will not be an issue at 3.7-4.2Ghz and was very common in many dish models during the early 80's. Take a few pairs of gloves. The mesh edges will eat gloves like bonbons! Hope you are up to date on your tetanus shot! :eeek

The design of the dish is a series of semi flat panels and not forming a true parabola. The design will be less efficient than a formed / shaped surface, exhibit a higher noise level with slightly increased sidelobes. I am sure that C-band performance will be fine, but KU will likely not be very good. The dish was probably distributed long before KU reception was common.

I was out looking at the dish panels yesterday and discovered something that I hadn't noticed before. The cross braces between the ribs are curved.Since the mesh pop-rivets to the braces as well as the ribs...it bows the mesh into a more parabolic shape.So the panels are not flat after all. :)

The old mesh needs a good deal of tightening up before it gets mounted. I might re-mesh it with some KU capable mesh instead...if I can find something cost effective.

If not the whole dish, then as much of the center as possible....keeping the original (Large hole) mesh on the outside.

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
The 12 footer will probably have to wait until next spring/summer. Getting too cold to get around to it this year. I'm not feeling a rush to mount it since the 10 ft mesh is performing so well.

The second 10 footer (Perf) will probably go up within the next week or so. :) Pole is installed and 720 lbs of concrete has been curing since Tuesday. I may start assembling the dish and doing any repairs tomorrow if I feel up to it. We are expecting rain on Tuesday and Wednesday so that will delay the work. Dish will begin it's new life as a stationary for 55W. A positioner and cable can be added later if the wife can't live with only 1 Sat in the bedroom.

I'll post some photos after I get it up.

10 foot Unimesh Perf is up.(Mostly) I still have to center the scaler, install a titanium lnbf, run coax, and re-attach the nosecone; All stuff that I can do at my leisure without helpers around. I may paint the dish next spring...or just leave it as is. (I did blow a little paint on the worst shiny spots) Too cold to do any more today and rain coming tomorrow. Here's some Pics:
Front.JPG Back.JPG
Before and after of worst hole in perf panel. This is temporary... plan to do a better stitch job when it's warm.( That darn aluminum was cold today) :
Before Repair.JPG After_Repair.JPG

Finally, a pic of my "Twins" as I'm calling them. Unimesh perf on the left, Channel Master mesh on the right :
Twins.JPG

How many more before I can call it a Dish Farm? :biggrin

EDIT: I installed actuator on the east side. This dish will be able to drop farther east than the other dish. I want it to bottom out at 40w.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)