Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
well since it was such a nice day out I decided to do some work on the dish farm.

Put up a Phase III for my Directv setup and relocated the Primestar to 105W (like it use to be). That left the 4 footer all lonely as I took 101 off and now with the phase III up that blocked line of site. :(

So decided to put the conical ring back on and aim for 121 for a couple channels there. Got it nice and locked (60s quality on a few TP's on the Pansat). Then the wheels started turning and I thought "wouldnt that be cool to get 121 & 125 on one dish?"

Took the LNB and started waving it around to try and lock 125W but no luck. Then I placed it right on the scaler ring and boom 90+ on Montana PBS, 50ish on PBS HD and 72-75 on PBS (12180)...ok cool. Now how to get it to stay.

Then it dawned on me.....cut the scaler ring :) Well the conical in this case. Took out the channel lock pliers and busted off part of the outside of the scaler ring. That would allow the KU LNB to rest easily on there (since I can turn the scaler ring that would help get maximum quality). Now how to hold it.....

well if you know me and my projects they all seem to require one of these 3 items
-hoseclamp
-wood
-duct tape

Well found a big hose clamp and wrapped that around the scaler ring and the KU and a couple pieces of wood to hold it in place. Tightened it down and placed on the C-Band LNB

C-Band...didnt change
KU....Montana 90+, PBS 75-80, PBS HD 50-52, couple of the feeds were between 35-45 (30 threshold).

So now I have 121 C-Band for a couple channels I want and 125W for PBS HD & the other PBS stations. Now I dont have to motor the dish over that far :)
(and yes I know...the deck has to be painted. Thats a summer job) ;)

Attachments

• PICT0040 (2).JPG
    PICT0040 (2).JPG
    478.6 KB · Views: 266
  • PICT0048 (2).JPG
    PICT0048 (2).JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 258
  • PICT0047 (2).JPG
    PICT0047 (2).JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 248
  • PICT0046 (2).JPG
    PICT0046 (2).JPG
    452 KB · Views: 267
  • PICT0045 (2).JPG
    PICT0045 (2).JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 265
  • PICT0044 (2).JPG
    PICT0044 (2).JPG
    558.3 KB · Views: 246
  • PICT0043 (2).JPG
    PICT0043 (2).JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 260
  • PICT0042 (2).JPG
    PICT0042 (2).JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT0041 (2).JPG
    PICT0041 (2).JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 263
Nice work, thanks for the pics! It is always cool to see what people are able to fabricate. :up

That is really cool

Ice, I really like this - - - - great job!

I have a question about the blue straight scalar - - - have you or anyone compared those against a flat scalar and a walrus1957 conical scalar with the same size dish? I might have to try one of those blue scalars.

I have a question about the blue straight scalar - - - have you or anyone compared those against a flat scalar and a walrus1957 conical scalar with the same size dish? I might have to try one of those blue scalars.

I thought Walrus used the flat scaler?

I tried a flat scaler and had horrible results. Maybe because I am in MN where there is issues signal wise. Walrus is in Nebraska which is the hot spot for most C-Band signals.

The conical worked great for me

So decided to put the conical ring back on and aim for 121 for a couple

C-Band...didnt change

I know you were testing with the pansat but did you try the S2 Azteca channels with any of your S2 receivers?

I would be interested on having a setup like that if the 4 footer picks the S3 signals.

Thanks,

I know you were testing with the pansat but did you try the S2 Azteca channels with any of your S2 receivers?

I would be interested on having a setup like that if the 4 footer picks the S3 signals.

Thanks,

Well I did at 121w and I can tell ya that the 1.2m will not see any S2 100% clear
I was able to get AZTECA 7-HD 13-HD and 40, but forty is not HD but SD.

Used a 6ft Fortec dish and here are the captures I did using an AZBOX Elite HD

http://www.satelliteguys.us/2025227-post31.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/2025287-post33.html

Thanks for the picks and write-up Ice!
Is that a Gospell GCF-D12T LNB? It looks identical to mine.
I have temporarily suspended my project again until nicer weather comes to Manitoba.
Your pictures give me a very good idea on how to adjust my LNB as my bracket and conical scaler ring are identical to yours as well.
I am planning on pointing mine to 118.8°W or 95.0°W to get Univisión. Don't know if the signal will be strong enough for a 1.2m dish in Manitoba though.

the LNB is a GeoSatPro C2 from SatelliteAV. Bought a bunch of them a while back

The Univision on 95W is very strong. I know the 6 footer gets them strong. Maybe I'll try the 5 footer. The 4 footer I have LOS issues so cant check there for ya

It would break my heart to cut one of the conical scalars. I had to take mine off for the winter, it kept filling up with snow and ice. I've grown to like those C2s myself now, glad I bought some when I did.

Good work as always, Ice.

Nice work Iceberg,

It would break my heart to cut one of the conical scalars.

When I saw the picture that is the first thing I noticed. :(

Well I did at 121w and I can tell ya that the 1.2m will not see any S2 100% clear
I was able to get AZTECA 7-HD 13-HD and 40, but forty is not HD but SD.

I can get the S2 HD channels on 113W with my 1.2 meter dish, it might be due to FEC (3/5) and that the satellite is strong here.

Attachments

• A7HD.JPG
    A7HD.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 182
I am planning on pointing mine to 118.8°W or 95.0°W to get Univisión. Don't know if the signal will be strong enough for a 1.2m dish in Manitoba though.

The 5 footer on 95W shows a 75-80 quality on the Pansat...very strong
118.7 not so much...35-38 (30 threshold)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)