129 Coming soon to a dish near you!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Hey can anyone verify that echo 5 has made it to the 129 position.. I think that I will swing my fta dish by that way later on.. I just want to know when its up and going for testing so i can start the Super dish 121/129 combo mad scientest thread... Got everything needed for it... acct to lyngsat its at 128.78.. witch i think is its final resting spot..
Laters...

CAnt verify but my 4900 now has 129 as an option :) along with one called 119K which I bet is for the bird they want to speed over to 118ish* :)

And since my receiver is not an HD receiver, I bet 129 will be used for SD LIL!

mattb said:
CAnt verify but my 4900 now has 129 as an option :) along with one called 119K which I bet is for the bird they want to speed over to 118ish* :)

129 has ALWAYS been there for quite sometime - it was used for secondary Philedelphia locals up until a year or so ago... ;)

dishrich said:
129 has ALWAYS been there for quite sometime - it was used for secondary Philedelphia locals up until a year or so ago... ;)

That was on another satellite and used regular Ku band. Dish's new access at 129 W is with DBS Ku band and requires that the E-5 satellite be moved to 129 W.

I wish i was excited about this, but knowing what hell went into the 129 project with the legacy tri-beams, and it's low elevation in the northeast... I'm not looking forward to it.

That and the picky nature of your elitist HD customer... makes for a pain in the *ss of a situation.

rocatman said:
That was on another satellite and used regular Ku band. Dish's new access at 129 W is with DBS Ku band and requires that the E-5 satellite be moved to 129 W.

I understand that, but all I was saying, is that the 129 option has been on the dish pointing menu for quite some time - when they quit using that "other Ku band bird", they did NOT remove the 129 option from the receivers - I never said there WAS a bird there now... ;) ;)

goaliebob99 said:
Hey can anyone verify that echo 5 has made it to the 129 position.. I think that I will swing my fta dish by that way later on.. I just want to know when its up and going for testing so i can start the Super dish 121/129 combo mad scientest thread... Got everything needed for it... acct to lyngsat its at 128.78.. witch i think is its final resting spot..
Lyngsat now says E5 is at 128.89, so it still seems to be moving.

dishrich said:
I understand that, but all I was saying, is that the 129 option has been on the dish pointing menu for quite some time - when they quit using that "other Ku band bird", they did NOT remove the 129 option from the receivers - I never said there WAS a bird there now... ;) ;)

My 811 and 510 no longer have that as a choice on the dish pointing menu. It appears that some other receivers currently do like the 4900 and 6000 and this is with recently upgraded software.

Actually when they came out with 105/121 they removed 129 from the 4900, I know that for a fact because I had prior firmware that had the 61.5/110/119/129/148 when Philly was on 129, but when they moved Philly off, and then came with 105/121 KU they removed 129 at least from the 4900..

Looks like 129 is back now though. Checking the software version on my 4900 is now P320

rocatman said:
My 811 and 510 no longer have that as a choice on the dish pointing menu.

But, did these EVER have it? IIR, these models came out AFTER the old 129 went away, so there would have been NO need to add it.

It appears that some other receivers currently do like the 4900 and 6000 and this is with recently upgraded software.

Well, I just hooked up an old 4900 I pulled from a customer well over a year ago. The software on it is 216 & 129 IS there, along with EVERY other postion, including 105/121, so obviously, the software is NOT current at all! (sorry I didn't take a picture, but you'll just have to take my word for it) If they DID take if out, they must have put back in IMMEDIATELY on the next upgrade back then. ;)

As I said, I do NOT believe E* ever pulled 129 OUT of those receivers when it went away - what would be the point of doing that? I do remember all the receivers of this vintage I've installed or moved with even later software releases & 129 has ALWAYS been on the list of positions. It would not hurt for it to stay in & if they had intentions of using 129 later, why have to go & put it back in, AFTER pulling it out?

I went ahead tonight and ziptied that LNBF to the 121/119 side of the superdish.. With the shroud on.. Im wating for that baby to get parked before i start messing with the focal point on this bad boy.. I got a good feeling about this!!!!! Im Assuming (YES ASSUMING that sence the super dish is allready skewed i wont have to do a thing other than messing with the focal point and getting the strongest signal that i can and i should be set.. I had 129 in my point dish screen on my 510 at one time but it has seem to dissaper.. Im thinking that it probley will show up again in a future software update.. but im curious to see how the recivers will act with an echostar bird thats not programmed into the point dish.. What i think will happen is that it will see the bird and reconize it in the switch matrix but i wont have any way of vearifying signal with the expeption of my sat meter... I will take pictures tom morning as we had storms tonight.

But, did these EVER have it? IIR, these models came out AFTER the old 129 went away, so there would have been NO need to add it

had it a month ago but dissapered..

I'm assuming that since it's E5 at 129 that E* is going to be using DBS instead of FSS. Does anyone know how many DBS transponders they have licensed to operate at 129 (not how many are functioning on E5)?

justalurker said:
All 32 now, eventually 16 as the Canadian provider gets to use half of their slot.

JL

IIRC it is all 32 until September 2008 and then at least 16 thereafter. It maybe more after September 2008 depending on the demand for usage by Canadian providers. Recognize that the 129 W low elevation angle for the northeastern part of the U.S. is much worse for eastern Canada where a high percentage of Canada's population resides.

I got a feeling they will use it for for LIL, I dont think HD will go there. Why would they put the ability to receive 129 in SD only receivers if they where only going to use it for HD (adding slots take up precious memory in older models)

It always seems like people think something will be used for what they want.

E5 is not a spot beam bird. Locals would be a huge waste of bandwidth. When E* 10 gets up there will be more room for LIL at 110. Rainbow 1 also has spots and could be used for locals if/when the transfer is approved (with or without relocation).

So, any concrete news on what is going to be delivered from 129? The 7/1/05 Sky Report said:
<i>The FCC approval said EchoStar will use its satellite at 129 degrees to deliver local-into-local, high-def and other services to U.S. customers. The bureau also stated at the satellite move will help EchoStar meet the single dish requirement for delivery of local TV channels contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA).</i>

Will this mean locals with one or two channels on a wing will all be moved to 129? That'll make for some serious repoints! If the 129 is going to be DBS and not FSS, then will a regular LNB work?

I know people "are hollaring" for HDTV but I really think LIL will go to 129, remeber E*'s rulling with the FCC said for like a specific # of dishes, and remeber the problems north easterns have with 129? Do you really want your HD channels on 129 and then not be able to get them? I suspect 129 is going to be comply with the FCC rulling on a single slot per locals (moving the locals that are on the wing completly to 129 etc. That's my best speculation. I dont work for E* but I think they will use 129 for locals at this point and not SD or HD national programming.

and for the person who asked, 129 that E* is wanting to use is a DBS bird not a Ku or KA.

L218 to spool 7/28/05 for 921

Two HD TV's: Two 942s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)