Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Atlanta GA
From the Echostar tech Portal

Attachments

• 921 update.JPG
    921 update.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 211
Dont be surprised if you don't see it until tommorow. I just heard they might have an issue from getting it up today.

It fixes an isue where many people lost many of their OTA channels that they could receive before the last update.

David_Levin said:
Wow, another very quick software update when it's in Echostar's monetary interest to do so.
In this case the monetary interest is retaining entire accounts since blocking users who don't subscribe to locals from tuning most of the OTA channels was a major flub worthy of cancellation. We should now have the "proper" money-grubbing restrictions in place after having a glimpse of what the 811 gets for free. Whew! That was a close one. :rolleyes:

Oh christ, I have always subscribed to dish locals and now my OTA NBC FOX and ABC all say Local Programming. WTF DISH, this worked fine before, granted the subchannels never had EPG, but now the main channels are missing it.

BobaBird said:
In this case the monetary interest is retaining entire accounts since blocking users who don't subscribe to locals from tuning most of the OTA channels was a major flub worthy of cancellation.

Actually, the people having the problem where getting locals turned on for FREE.

Very frustrated with this one. They had been promising the L214 update for months and now have basically rolled back the one improved feature - that the EPG guide worked for OTA. I have no use for subscribing to dish's locals as I get clear HD reception with rabbit ears - why are they trying to force me to order SD locals!!! I already pay $5 per month to use the recorder - but can't schedule programs to record on network TV. Now that I realize that the problem is not a software limitation but a conscious effort by Dish to force me to order locals, I am pissed. I think that what may have happened is that they intended to fix the EPG program with the 214 or 215 update, then changed their minds when it was implemented and a few subscribers called in to cancel their locals that they were only getting for EPG in the first place. Someone saw these cancellations and insisted that the fix be rolled back. You would think with all the problems that these 921s have been, they would not try to screw us now.

Well my 921 had a relapse of some sort.

Aspect mode is locked on all SD channels to STRETCH. I've tried power button reset, menu-6-display settings and nothing can get me out of stretch mode.

HD display's in NORMAL, but won't stretch or Zoom.

I'm doing a power plug reboot now and if that doesn't work, E* is getting a call. It worked yesterday befre the new software DL.

Next will be factory defaults and see if that helps.

I dunno. It goes from bad, to good, to flakey and stable... now back to flakey again...

Anyone else with aspect ratio problems not responding or am I special?

David_Levin said:
Actually, the people having the problem where getting locals turned on for FREE.
Actually, E* was replacing channels that they ripped from the EPG guide (for whatever greedy reason), that disabled those channels from being accessed through the digital OTA tuner. Which I'm sure the FCC would have frowned upon. E* should have automatically turned all 921 user's who didn't sub to there Sat locals on until they resolved the issue. Not politely offering to do it (when you called) and then threatening to make you pay if you didn't then cancel before a certain deadline. That's total extortion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)