129 in Hawaii

tvhawaii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Added a dish for the 129 slot in order to get more HD programming, which it did.
The bad part is that now the guide thinks I can get -all- the programming on 129, whereas I can only get transponders 2, 4, 6, 14, and 16 on spot beam 55.
If I happen to select, say, ch 301HD instead of 300HD (HBO), I get a message saying that there was a complete loss of signal and the only way to get out of it is to go to Menu and select Program Guide.
Another problem is that the guide shows HDPPV channels I can't receive and there's not an easy way to to verify that before ordering. I just ordered Cedar Springs on ch 505 and it shows in the Purchase History, but didn't record (shows "Event Skipped [Service Shutoff]).
Third problem is that now I don't have 383 HDNet Movie channel listed, but used to.
vip622, fwiw.
Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Is the 129 sat meant for Hawaii subs? My first guess is that it is not and that is the root of the problem. Use the favorites list and put only the channels you get into it. Then you have three choices. Go up or down till you get to the channel you want, only channels you get will be available. Two, go to the guide, pick the channel number you want. By being in the guide it won't go to a channel not in the favorite list if you make a mistake when entering the number. Or three, go to the guide and scroll or page through it till you see the channel you want and pick it.

129 is supported in Hawaii, and it is a known issue that the CONUS-only channels show up in the guide and cause the signal loss message to show. You've figured out how to get off of the "signal loss" message (menu-program guide), but the only other workarounds are creating a favorites list, or locking the channels out.

Is the 129 sat meant for Hawaii subs? My first guess is that it is not and that is the root of the problem.

I received this from Dish:
"URGENT ACTION REQUIRED
PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY TO AVOID SERVICE
INTERRUPTION OF YOUR HIGH-DEFINITION PROGRAMMING

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to notify you of very important information regarding your DISH Network satellite antenna and current HD programming package. Due to improvements in our system’s technology, it may be necessary to add an additional dish antenna* or redirect an existing one to ensure that you continue to enjoy your high-definition programming. DISH Network will professionally install or redirect your antenna.

In addition, your current DishHD package priced at $9.99/month will no longer be available. We will transition you to a similar HD package for only $10.00/month allowing you continued access to our high-definition programming and providing you with even more channels in HD.

If you have had service or changes to your DISH Network system in the last 6 months, we may not need to schedule a technician visit to your home.

Please call us at 888-894-7809 before August 8, 2011 so we may schedule a technician visit to your home if necessary and upgrade your HD package. We look forward to helping you enhance your TV experience.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,

DISH Network "

The 'technician' came out and installed another reflector for 129. Now I notice that instead of "We will transition you to a similar HD package for only $10.00/month allowing you continued access to our high-definition programming and providing you with even more channels in HD.", my account says:

Programming Change History (Last 90 Days)Date Action Programming
07/24/11 Added HD 250 Free AK/HI
07/24/11 Removed HD Pack

So my suspicion is that instead of spending the time/resources to correctly identify the HD channels available in Hawaii, Dish Network has instead elected to give them to us for free and we have to deal with the problems...after all, no one can complain if it's "free", eh?

That's one thing I think should be fixed with the receivers. It needs to better detect the difference in "Partial Signal Loss" and "Complete Signal Loss" because I have found in the past when I had issues with 110 reception but had 119 and 129 it would display "Complete Signal Loss" and not allow me to switch to a channel on 119 or 129 without the workaround. Either it should be fixed, or they should make it to where the "Complete Signal Loss" screen doesn't disable the ability to switch channels without a workaround.

I received this from Dish:
"URGENT ACTION REQUIRED
PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY TO AVOID SERVICE
INTERRUPTION OF YOUR HIGH-DEFINITION PROGRAMMING

Dear Valued Customer,

We would like to notify you of very important information regarding your DISH Network satellite antenna and current HD programming package. Due to improvements in our system’s technology, it may be necessary to add an additional dish antenna* or redirect an existing one to ensure that you continue to enjoy your high-definition programming. DISH Network will professionally install or redirect your antenna.

In addition, your current DishHD package priced at $9.99/month will no longer be available. We will transition you to a similar HD package for only $10.00/month allowing you continued access to our high-definition programming and providing you with even more channels in HD.

If you have had service or changes to your DISH Network system in the last 6 months, we may not need to schedule a technician visit to your home.

Please call us at 888-894-7809 before August 8, 2011 so we may schedule a technician visit to your home if necessary and upgrade your HD package. We look forward to helping you enhance your TV experience.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,

DISH Network "

The 'technician' came out and installed another reflector for 129. Now I notice that instead of "We will transition you to a similar HD package for only $10.00/month allowing you continued access to our high-definition programming and providing you with even more channels in HD.", my account says:

Programming Change History (Last 90 Days)Date Action Programming
07/24/11 Added HD 250 Free AK/HI
07/24/11 Removed HD Pack

So my suspicion is that instead of spending the time/resources to correctly identify the HD channels available in Hawaii, Dish Network has instead elected to give them to us for free and we have to deal with the problems...after all, no one can complain if it's "free", eh?

Will you send me your phone number or account number in a PM? Include all of the satellites you're looking at with your setup (119/129 etc.)

129 is supported in Hawaii, and it is a known issue that the CONUS-only channels show up in the guide and cause the signal loss message to show. You've figured out how to get off of the "signal loss" message (menu-program guide), but the only other workarounds are creating a favorites list, or locking the channels out.

Folks in Hawaii nei are used to being treated like the bast#rd step-child by Dish (and DirecTV), but the loss of one of the few HD Movie channels (HDNetMovie) we can get is just plain wrong.

That's one thing I think should be fixed with the receivers. It needs to better detect the difference in "Partial Signal Loss" and "Complete Signal Loss" because I have found in the past when I had issues with 110 reception but had 119 and 129 it would display "Complete Signal Loss" and not allow me to switch to a channel on 119 or 129 without the workaround. Either it should be fixed, or they should make it to where the "Complete Signal Loss" screen doesn't disable the ability to switch channels without a workaround.

Thank you...I completely agree. It's misleading and a big pita.

but the only other workarounds are creating a favorites list, or locking the channels out.

As you are well aware, the programming on these satellites/xpndrs are dynamic and subject to the whims of Dish Network as to what gets assigned to whatever. For instance, who decided that Hawaii should receive -both- E and W feeds of HBO HD instead of some other HD HBO channel or even another non-HBO HD Movie channel? <sigh>

If I build a favorites list of what I can receive and subsequently a channel becomes available, how will I ever know?

Last edited:

Any idea of how to handle the PPV channels I can't get?
And I'm -really- not looking forward to calling Dish Customer Service in order to get the $5.99 removed for the movie I couldn't receive. I can already hear the "We're sorry, but after the movie is ordered, no refunds can be given".<sigh>

Any idea of how to handle the PPV channels I can't get?
And I'm -really- not looking forward to calling Dish Customer Service in order to get the $5.99 removed for the movie I couldn't receive. I can already hear the "We're sorry, but after the movie is ordered, no refunds can be given".<sigh>

Sent you a PM

One way to hide the channels that are not available to you is to prevent HD channels from mapping down.

• Select Menu, System Setup, Local Channels, Channel Display, Disable (under DishHD)
    • Note that for this option you will have to access the channels in the 5000 range, but they will no longer see channels they don’t have and channels they do have mixed

One way to hide the channels that are not available to you is to prevent HD channels from mapping down.

• Select Menu, System Setup, Local Channels, Channel Display, Disable (under DishHD)
    • Note that for this option you will have to access the channels in the 5000 range, but they will no longer see channels they don’t have and channels they do have mixed

On my 722ks the "Channel Display" option was removed with L685.

is there a list somewhere (is the information even known) as to what transponders on 129 we should even be recieving here in Hawaii? before going through the hassle of "re-aiming" the dish it would be helpful to know. seems to me that if 129/27 were available to us alot more chanels would open up. my guess is that the installer knew what he was doing and the dish is aligned correctly but you never know.

thanks in advance

Bobby, thanks for the link to the Hawaii spotbeam. I'm hoping DISH would add some of the Fox regional sports HD channels on the West Coast to this spotbeam. I was over at my friend's home here in Honolulu who has DIRECTV to watch a football game in HD from these regional sports channels. Talk about being envious!! DISH, please give us Hawaiians an early Christmas present! Mahalo!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)