129 Satellite

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
Is there a way to get a stronger signal on the 129 satellite with a Dish 1000? I have super strong signals on 110/119 but 129 is in the low 50's. I watch more HD content then I do SD so I would like to figure out a way to make my 129 stonger so I can eliminate all the audio drops, pixelization, etc. All my Locals seem to have horrible signals off of recorded shows. I called Dish to come out and realign it but they want to charge me $50 which is a lot of money when it's their problem that it's not working right. They installed it.

Thanks

Yeah, you are stuck there. Have you had probelms all along? Have you thought about trying to adjust yourself? Just try to peak on 129 and then make sure that 100 and 119 aren't messed up.

dfergie said:
I ended up with my 1000 dedicated to 129 (with a seperate Dish 500 for 110/119 ) and now am getting weak signals, will probably try to peak this afternoon as I have my 9" dc tv going by my dish ranch working on my FTA setup...

Which receiver are you using? I'm having the same problem of low signal levels on my 622 with the 61.5 after upgrading to 3.63 and then to 3.65. We verify and I'm very well aligned. 110/119 is having very good signals but most TPs on 61.5 are unwatchable, mostly VOOM TPs, UNIHD and CBDHD.

-mylo

I have a 622 receiver. I was going to try and repeak my dish today but my wife was unavailable to help me to say when to stop. I get super high signal strengths on 110/119.

I was wondering if I asked for the extra locals that Dish offers in the Los Angeles area they will bring out another Dish to point to the 61.5 satellite. Then I can reaim it at 129. I remember they used to do it a long time ago but I don't know if they still do it anymore. That would be my best bet.

All locals are now on the same dish as required by law. Sorry, you are too late on that one.

lakebum431 said:
All locals are now on the same dish as required by law. Sorry, you are too late on that one.

Lakebum,

All locals from a market do have to be on a single Dish solution, but that does NOT apply to BOTH SD and HD to be on the same DISH.

ALL SD locals must be on a single Dish Solution, all HD LOCAL stations must be on a single Dish solution, but BOTH SD and HD Locals DO NOT have be on the same Dish solution.

The LA HD LOCAL channels are NOT on 61.5, they are ONLY available from the 148 orbital slot

John

JohnL
I think there is some confusion here. Although you are correct that SD and HD do not need to be on 1 dish, that makes no difference in this case. The HD LA Locals are on 129. The SD LA Locals are on 119. The only exception to that is the CBS LA HD distant channel that is on 148. The original poster was trying to find a way to get a separate dish to point at 129 to increase his signal for the LA HD LILs (not the distant CBSHD). When the local channels were split on different dishes people were able to get an extra dish free (as he was looking for) under the must carry rules. This is no longer the case as all of the LA local channels can now be received on 1 Dish.

mdntblu said:
Is there a way to get a stronger signal on the 129 satellite with a Dish 1000? I have super strong signals on 110/119 but 129 is in the low 50's. I watch more HD content then I do SD so I would like to figure out a way to make my 129 stonger so I can eliminate all the audio drops, pixelization, etc. All my Locals seem to have horrible signals off of recorded shows. I called Dish to come out and realign it but they want to charge me $50 which is a lot of money when it's their problem that it's not working right. They installed it.

Thanks
I am in the L.A. area as well. I have a separate Dish 500 for 129 and I get signals that range from 68 - 89 with most in the 75 - 80 range. If you can't do it yourself, it will cost you, but you can be assured of getting a good signal for your HD (including locals).

JohnL said:
Lakebum,

All locals from a market do have to be on a single Dish solution, but that does NOT apply to BOTH SD and HD to be on the same DISH.

ALL SD locals must be on a single Dish Solution, all HD LOCAL stations must be on a single Dish solution, but BOTH SD and HD Locals DO NOT have be on the same Dish solution.

The LA HD LOCAL channels are NOT on 61.5, they are ONLY available from the 148 orbital slot

John
Isn't the dish 1000 considered a single dish and if so can;t all locals exist on 129-119-110?

dude2 said:
Isn't the dish 1000 considered a single dish and if so can;t all locals exist on 129-119-110?
L. A. locals are not on 148.

The HD locals are on 129 and the SD's, I believe, are on 110 (or possibly 119), but definitely not 148.

Same as for the low-signal north-west: get a big dish on 129.
It's a universal fix.
How to go about it is the question...

The first step is an I-adapter carrying a single LNB on a 20" Dish 500 reflector.
I consider this close to worthless, since it only provides a little boost.
But, it'll beat the heck out of an 18" Dish 300! ;)

Up north/west, they're handing out 24" Dish dishes.
That helps more. I think maybe ten points boost on sig strength over the above solution.

Some enterprising individuals up there have put up their own 30" dishes. :eek:
That may be what they need, but I doubt LA is hurtin' for signal that bad.

Search this forum for other suggestions, along with some actual numbers.

Last edited:
1000+

mdntblu said:
So what is my best route to go?

If you are not interested in adding a second dish, you could replace your 1000 with the 1000+ which is larger version of the 1000.

You might be able to get Dish to provide this by signing up for an international package that you would need the 1000+ for (to pickup the 118.75 FSS satellite). You probably could cancel them a couple of months later, if you so desired.

Ok so here's the deal. I acquired a Dish 500 with 119/110 lnb's on it. What does it take to get this hooked up to my 622? Currently I have a Dish 1000 with the 3 LNB's and no switch that I can see unless it's inside somewhere. Do I need to get a switch of some kind in order to hook up the Dish 1000 with the 119/110 LNB's and the Dish 500 with the 129 LNB? Also do I need to use the actual 129 LNB from the Dish 1000 or can I just leave it on there and hook it up to the 110 or 119 LNB on the new dish 500?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)