13/18V switch for two c-band feeds (orthomode)

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I'm trying to get EBSpro to talk with an Orthomode that I put up last week on H/V. For some reason, I thought I would be able to slap an Ecoda 22khz switch and swap polarities that way.

Both LNB's are on their own polarity and can take either 13 or 18v. So no need to supply voltage. I just need EBS pro to see that one LNB is H and the other is V. In a galaxy far far away (ten years ago) you used to be able to buy a 13/18V dc controller switch. Does a beast still exist?

How are you all hooking up your orthomodes now?

I'm trying to get EBSpro to talk with an Orthomode that I put up last week on H/V. For some reason, I thought I would be able to slap an Ecoda 22khz switch and swap polarities that way.

Both LNB's are on their own polarity and can take either 13 or 18v. So no need to supply voltage. I just need EBS pro to see that one LNB is H and the other is V. In a galaxy far far away (ten years ago) you used to be able to buy a 13/18V dc controller switch. Does a beast still exist?

How are you all hooking up your orthomodes now?
I haven't seen one of those switches for sale for at least 10 years, but there must be some still around. KE4EST ?

The receiver's polarity switching will not trigger a 22KHz on/off switch. You need a voltage 13/18Vdc triggered coax switch. Maybe use two ports of a modified powered multi-switch (I.E. the two 22KHz Off ports). A modded powered multi-switch will supply 18v+ on all LNB ports.

Btw... While it is possible that some models of LNBs will operate with 13v, best performance will be possible when the LNB power is at least 18v.

Conceptual time. Not hijacking.
A similar but not exact thing happened. 131W had a few tp needing signal peaking as opposed to the others.
In my satellites.xml I duped 131W but gave it an identifiable character * and different position. Like this.
<sat name="131.0W C-band AMC 11" flags="1" position="-1311">
<sat name="131.0W C-band AMC 11 *" flags="1" position="-1312">
So the tp's that needed a dish movement were moved into the * listing. Leaving the majority of tp's in the original list. When watching channels that normally had me reaching for the mover remote, it became hands free.
Assigning sat 1 a memory position, sat 2 to another but stored for peak signal.
So far so good?

If something like this was done for an orthomode setup using a 22 kHz switch.
Could you not setup the file like my example. Leave all transponders as they are.
Fix voltage at 18 volts for both "satellite". And trigger the switch with the diseqc settings for each lnb.
And assign LNB 1 C-Band for horizontals, LNB 2 C-Band verticals. Selecting what the switch would do for each.
Only horizontal tp's would be receivable on LNB 1. Verticals would not be receivable and skipped.
The opposite being true for LNB 2.
And what about a dual tuner receiver with a separate cable running to each LNB?
Each scan result could be dropped into a single bouquet folder that included H & V channels.

A consideration would be frequency drift from bringing up a cold lnb.
Easily solved with a power inserter and dc block arrangement. Maybe?

The receiver's polarity switching will not trigger a 22KHz on/off switch. You need a voltage 13/18Vdc triggered coax switch. Maybe use two ports of a modified powered multi-switch (I.E. the two 22KHz Off ports). A modded powered multi-switch will supply 18v+ on all LNB ports.

Btw... While it is possible that some models of LNBs will operate with 13v, best performance will be possible when the LNB power is at least 18v.
Yes, I already have the power insurers needed to send 18Vdc down the line to both LNB's. Just needed to find the 13/18Vdc switch.

If something like this was done for an orthomode setup using a 22 kHz switch.
Could you not setup the file like my example. Leave all transponders as they are.
Fix voltage at 18 volts for both "satellite". And trigger the switch with the diseqc settings for each lnb.
And assign LNB 1 C-Band for horizontals, LNB 2 C-Band verticals. Selecting what the switch would do for each.
Only horizontal tp's would be receivable on LNB 1. Verticals would not be receivable and skipped.
The opposite being true for LNB 2.

Sounds like a good setup to me.
And that way, no separate power inserters are needed.
(But I must say: I have no experience with orthomodes.)

Greetz,
A33

The multiswitch would be an installers way to go. I couldn't find one. A power inserter definitely. You would take the lnb power requirement load off of the receiver. A good thing. Multiswitch with 18 VDC-out all the time? I looked this up:

"Some modifications required". There goes the waterproof sealing?
If it sounds interesting you could probably get me to config a C Band satellites.xml. Tested and working.
I've been saving my blindscan tp results to it. A win-win. Then Bob's your uncle (even though grandma knows better).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)