14-382

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustinF

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I got this code from my HR20-700 HDDVR. Could anyone please tell me what went wong with my receiver. I have had it since 2007 and it worked well since them with no problems. Do I need to order a new box or what?

I'm not sure what the error code is but I would suggest contacting DTV. You shouldn't have to purchase a new box, you should get one at no charge (possibly a handling fee).

If the box is bad, they will replace it for free. If you have the protection plan, there is no shipping. If not, then it will be about $20. That is sometimes waived if you ask nicely!

Codes 14, 15, 21– Internal Storage Error Detected.
Overview:
A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. That may fix the problem
Troubleshooting:
Code 14 indicates trouble communicating with the hard disk drive while 15 indicates the drive is accessible but does not pass integrity tests. For 14, reboot the box and see if the problems continue. For 15 replace the box. Generally boxes showing a code 14 will soon begin showing code 15. These issues may also lead to a code 21 at bootup. Normally they all indicate the receiver should be replaced.

Time for a new hard drive, so you need to call Directv and get it replaced.

If you want to do diagnostic on it, you can reboot, press select (on the receiver, not remote) at the "running receiver self check" blue screen. In the advanced tests are short and long hard drive tests. I imagine that would just confirm your error code.

"Error Code 14"

14-xxx codes are harddrive related...

"On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14”

Standard Support fix: What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver. If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

Bottom Line... sounds like the harddrive is failing. Call D* and they will replace the unit (free if you have protect plan - $20 shipping if you do not) You will loose any recordings and have to reset up the new box with your settings and scheduled recordings.

Is it normal for my hr20-700 to work normally after seeing the 14-382 message with a reboot? What I did was I unplugged the unit from the powerstrip and let it sit overnight with no power going to it. Around 6:00PM on Sat. night, I plugged it back in and let it go through the self check and guide data screen and it works fine for now. What do you all think about this turn of events with my receiver and will it be fine for a while? Should I still go ahead and get my replacement receiver to rest easier or not?

Is it normal for my hr20-700 to work normally after seeing the 14-382 message with a reboot? What I did was I unplugged the unit from the powerstrip and let it sit overnight with no power going to it. Around 6:00PM on Sat. night, I plugged it back in and let it go through the self check and guide data screen and it works fine for now. What do you all think about this turn of events with my receiver and will it be fine for a while? Should I still go ahead and get my replacement receiver to rest easier or not?

Sounds like a reset worked for it ....

Fwiw, I would start watching anything you have on the recvr this way you won't lose much if it does go out permanently.

I have had that error or something similar with my HR24 and my External HD, but I think it's just a communication issue as soon as reboot it, it sees it and all is fine.

I would continue using it and see what happens, unless your pushing to get a different one.
Btw, they probably will send you the HR20 again, if they have them still.

Thanks Jimbo. I did order a new HDDVR to replace this one. Should I still go ahead and swap them out or just leave it alone and wait? I am supposed to receive my new one sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.Thats the question I am having right now. I did get it back in 2007 when I rejoined D. So I wonder what the life expentency of a HDDVR is. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks Jimbo. I did order a new HDDVR to replace this one. Should I still go ahead and swap them out or just leave it alone and wait? I am supposed to receive my new one sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.Thats the question I am having right now. I did get it back in 2007 when I rejoined D. So I wonder what the life expentency of a HDDVR is. Thanks for all your help.

How much do you have on the DVR to watch ?
I guess it's up to you, your not moving up to a newer unit, so it's a call you'll have to make.
One reason why I liked them sending out the same unit is that way I always knew I would be getting a recvr with an OTA tuner in it, seeing they don't do that anymore .... without addl. equipment, I have bought the AM 21's for the ones I need so far.

One thing you CAN do, if you have a lo9t of stuff to watch on it is watch what you need, go ahead and activate the new one and when you get done watching what you have on the old one, call and turn it off, the difference would only be $ 5 a month till you turn the other one off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)