14 Years Ago Today- Messier's Guarantee

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
It was on this day 14 years ago that Mark Messier made his bold guarantee, and he scored a hat trick.

I'm sure Sandra remembers this...

It was on this day 14 years ago that Mark Messier made his bold guarantee, and he scored a hat trick.

I'm sure Sandra remembers this...

Wow I sure do. I watched the game with my dad and my brothers, it was amazing. That was game 6.

Game 7 two nights later, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, was just excrutiating...us thinking we had the game won, the Devils tying the game with seven seconds left, and then us eventually winning in two OT's, after each team had numerous scoring oppourtunities in the OT's.

After the Zelepukin goal my dad, brothers, and I just sat there stunned. Nobody said a word. My mom walked up the stairs crying and went go to bed, mad at all of us for making her care so much about this stupid hockey team.

When Matteau finally scored we started screaming, and I was the first one to run up the stairs to tell my mom. I think I hit perhaps 3 of the 12 stairs. It was after midnight but the phone started ringing and didn't stop for an hour. Everyone had a story to tell about how brutal the last two hours were.

The next day we didn't know what to do. The papers in the Jersey shore area didn't have anything about the game, so we listened to the FAN as people called in all day about their personal experiece watching the game. Women were comparing it to giving birth. Men were comparing it to being in Vietnam.

People were calling about fathers and sons who didn't get along well, but had a common love for the Rangers, watching the game together and crying and hugging each other when the game ended.

Even now I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Sandra

I'm a Devs fan, but I'm not one of the ones that hate the Rangers all that much (my longtime hockey coach was a HUGE Rangers fan).

1994 was just an amazing playoff. That semifinal series was still the best hockey I've ever watched (minus maybe the old Oilers with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr, etc - INSANE).

I actually went to the parade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts