140 watt Pioneer to 100 watt infinity speakers.

That Pioneer isn't really 140 watts per channel so you'll be OK. It is probably more like 60 watts per channel into 8 Ohms with all channels driven. The back panel on the Pioneer doesn't lie. It states power draw of 415 watts. 415 / 5 channels = 83 watts/channel. Then you have to factor in the inefficiency. Not sure what class the Pioneer is but Class A/B is around 65%, Class H about 80%, and Class D about 90%. If it is Class A/B, which is typical for receivers, then that is 83 watts/channel x .65 = 54 watts/channel. 2 channels driven would be a different beast and depends on the heatsinks on the two channels being used. I'd say you're probably good for 100 watts x 2 into 8 Ohms. Receiver manufacturers, by US law, HAVE to state how much current a receiver will draw on the back panel for safety reasons. THAT is the FIRST place I'd look to determine the power output of any receiver. The specs printed in the owner's manual or product sheet are mostly made-up numbers.

Reactions: TheKrell
That Pioneer isn't really 140 watts per channel so you'll be OK. It is probably more like 60 watts per channel into 8 Ohms with all channels driven. The back panel on the Pioneer doesn't lie. It states power draw of 415 watts. 415 / 5 channels = 83 watts/channel. Then you have to factor in the inefficiency. Not sure what class the Pioneer is but Class A/B is around 65%, Class H about 80%, and Class D about 90%. If it is Class A/B, which is typical for receivers, then that is 83 watts/channel x .65 = 54 watts/channel. 2 channels driven would be a different beast and depends on the heatsinks on the two channels being used. I'd say you're probably good for 100 watts x 2 into 8 Ohms. Receiver manufacturers, by US law, HAVE to state how much current a receiver will draw on the back panel for safety reasons. THAT is the FIRST place I'd look to determine the power output of any receiver. The specs printed in the owner's manual or product sheet are mostly made-up numbers.
I don't really know much about audio and I'm considering that and my speakers over buying a Samsung sound bar for my TV, which just makes more sense because the Pioneer can have 4 devices hooked to it through hdmi where as the sound bar is like 1 device. Those Infinity speakers are showing up to 100 watts per speaker if I am taking it right, which would be 200 watts of course total. So idk if I'm thinking correctly on that or not, but yeah I think I'll be ok as you mentioned thanks for the response.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-523-K Just wondering if this receiver can be hooked up to these, Infinity 8 ohm 15-100 watt bookshelf speakers?
A quick look at the specs shows the Pioneer VSK-523-K drives 8 ohms at 80 watts per channel so you should be fine. I don't know about Pioneer but my Denon has settings for speaker size in the setup menus (large/small). Since they are bookshelf speakers I would set it to small if possible. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)