160 GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - My Book Essential Edition

jmd102354

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2005
PA
Does anyone know if this external hard drive will work with the 622 when and if Dish ever activates the usb ?

Thanks

jmd102354 said:
Does anyone know if this external hard drive will work with the 622 when and if Dish ever activates the usb ?

Thanks
You pretty much answered your own question "when and if DISH ever activates the usb" beyond that my crystal ball is a little cloudy.:)

jmd102354 said:

Thanks
I don't see why not. ;)
However, if this ever happens, I will be looking for a much bigger drive. 160GB might be too small... :D

ChetK said:
Agreed. What's currently in our systems? 250GB?
It's 320GB. So, external 160GB drive would only increase the storage space by 50%.

No one knows the answer to your question. E* could rig it so only a drive they sell works. Or only a certain class of drives with some kind of security features. We won't know until it's announced. And HD prices will only go down between now and then (Fall?).

navychops is right on tne money. I expect Dish Network to come out with their own external hard drive for several reasons.

(1) They will make the money off of it and can increase the price increasing profit margins on the hardware.

(2) They will have to put something into that external hard drive case which would allow it to only work with the receivers that are active on your account unless they plan on doing that with software that they will put on the external hard drive from the receiver.

(3) This would probably reduce trouble calls into them since they would know that the type of external hard drive that they use would work.

By the time they get NBR on the 5XX models and this external hard drive support, they may have new models out by then.

Stargazer said:
(2) They will have to put something into that external hard drive case which would allow it to only work with the receivers that are active on your account unless they plan on doing that with software that they will put on the external hard drive from the receiver.
Of course, E* can choose to limit our choices of hardware for political and business reasons, but there are really no technical reasons for that, as cable companies have been allowing generic external drives for some time already.

Ilya, if you not aware but a few years ago ( before any cable's DVR cames up ) it was discovered those 501 or 508 perfectly works with non-aproved disks; since that fact was noticed by Dish, they killed that trick ( after P2.21 ).

So they fixed that with a software update in the 501 and 508? Dang, they want to keep everything tight dont they? I thought I read where some are still able to be swapped out with another hard drive.

I just got a 508 yesterday, guy says it has clear balance but he took the hard drive out and put into his computer. It has the card in it but I plugged it on and the power light does not come on. I hear the electric shut off on it though when I unplug it. I do not have anything in it, he just handed it to me, so no loss. Wish there was a way to fix those things. It would have been nice to use even if it was to playback shows from a hard drive from another receiver.

The new crop of Blu-Ray burning drives and Windows Vista's HD integration would make for a nice archival collection of HD movies. Of course, USB-HDCP may come to town too :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)