1600 - 1700 kHz Information Radio System Stations

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Every day I check 1600 - 1700 AM in the hunt for community radio stations. Propagation varies, but right now a station from Franklin Township (Manville, NJ) has a recording about community happenings, emergency info, etc. It's on 1630, callsign WRVX655 kHz and is coming in very well this morning for its 10 watts. Depending on the day sometimes a station from Quakertown PA also can be heard. On good days the NJ Turnpike TIS stations can be heard but weakly. Other times regular broadcast stations step on this stations but each day is different. Some Info Radio System stations just play a loop from the local NWS station. They are all different.

Does anyone listen to Information Radio Stations?

Reactions: k.r. and c-spand
I have, in state and national parks. Never tried to DX IRS though. I'll grab my CCRadio 2E and check it out. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: spongella
Every day I check 1600 - 1700 AM in the hunt for community radio stations. Propagation varies, but right now a station from Franklin Township (Manville, NJ) has a recording about community happenings, emergency info, etc. It's on 1630, callsign WRVX655 kHz and is coming in very well this morning for its 10 watts. Depending on the day sometimes a station from Quakertown PA also can be heard. On good days the NJ Turnpike TIS stations can be heard but weakly. Other times regular broadcast stations step on this stations but each day is different. Some Info Radio System stations just play a loop from the local NWS station. They are all different.

Does anyone listen to Information Radio Stations?
Are these the same stations that broadcast road conditions/accidents/detours when traveling on the interstate highways? If so, then yes I have heard them. :)

FTA4PA the ones on highways are TIS- Traveler's Information Stations or HAR -Highway Advisory Radio, found along highways. Now some towns have EAS - Emergency Alert Stations to keep residents informed in the event of an emergency.

Reactions: k.r. and FTA4PA
You might want to check these frequencies for the latest Covid news. Some new stations have appeared in my area lately. One is the Hudson County station on 1710 kHz, which upped it's output power so I've heard. It's been heard as far as VA and MI.

Reactions: N5XZS
A loop antenna works well for Am DXing, I built one using 2 6" by 40" by 1/2" wood with four turns of #18 wire, and a 4:1 balun (ones that work for TV antennae). If your receiver has a 300 ohm input then twinlead direct to the antenna leads works fine. Decent for reception on the 160m band down to 200KHz. Quieter than a long-wire. It's also bi-directional.
Just dis-connect it if there are thunderstorms around!

You might want to check these frequencies for the latest Covid news. Some new stations have appeared in my area lately. One is the Hudson County station on 1710 kHz, which upped it's output power so I've heard. It's been heard as far as VA and MI.
Good grief. So much of the news today is Covid related. I don't think I can handle another source. :eeek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts