16x9 Framing on Programming? When?

dgantz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Amherst, OH
Given that the digital conversion has happened, I am curious as to when the major networks and cable channels will start framing for 16x9 and updating their graphics accordingly. Does anyone have any links or resources which talk about this topic?

Most will stay framed for 4:3 since most people still have standard definition TVs/source. Cable analog service (and DBS standard def) is still the dominate means of reception. I have a feeling it will be 10+ years before they start to abandon 4:3. It took 10 years to just go digital to start with.

Given that the digital conversion has happened, I am curious as to when the major networks and cable channels will start framing for 16x9 and updating their graphics accordingly. Does anyone have any links or resources which talk about this topic?
They probably won't, because there are so many 4:3 TVs out there. In fact, the situation has gone the other way. About a year ago, in preparation for the digital transition, the major networks started moving their network "bugs" from the edges of the 16:9 frame on HD channels to the edges of the 4:3 frame, and also invested in equipment that would produce weather and news flash info in the 4:3 frame even on a 16:9 channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)