18" dish to Slimline

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lenagilmore

Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Jackson, TN
We have changed from an 18" dish to a Slimline SWM and now can't acquire any satelllite signal. Have a HR24 and HR21. Settings are Azimuth 201; Elevation 45; Tilt 75

We have tried slowly moving dish and still nothing. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have read so many of the threads on here and was hoping that someone could give us some ideas as to what to try next.

For starters, make sure the mast is plumb. This is important! Using a post level works best for me. The bubble level that is built in can be inaccurate. Set the skew (tilt) and then aim for the 101 sat. It is the easiest to get. If the old dish was a one lnb type, then point the Slimline in the same direction. When you get the 101 with strong signal, at least 90, then check the 119 numbers if you are using a 5 lnb type. Adjust the tilt to get those numbers as high as possible. If you have the 3 lnb type, then check the 99 and 103 numbers. You will likely have to make small adjustments in the skew to get them in strong. Remember that the 99s and 103s satellites are spot beams and you won't get great numbers on all of the transponders. Good luck and don't give up! BTW, any reason why you don't have Directv do it for you?

Ditto what Chip said.

What are you using to start your initial aim? Heading compass?

Also For Jackson, TN I get these co-ordinance. Where did you get yours?

Elevation: 46.7°
Azimuth (true): 200.4°

Thanks for the quick replies! Will definitely check the mast tomorrow. Really appreciate all the informative tips that are available on this forum. Very hopeful that we will be able to do this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts