Receivers disconnected w/o warning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhc528

Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have 3 receivers at my home, and 2 receivers at my summer cottage 18 miles away.
Originally I had 2 accounts, although the the Csr wanted me to add the 2 cottage receivers to my home account.
After being advised by other Csr's to combine service, I combined the 5 receivers into my home account.
Everything was fine until today.
The 2 receivers at cottage both showed "searching for signal". (was the dish out of alignment?).
Called dtv, after talking to 3 people the receivers were reactivated, and I was told in no uncertain terms that there was never a policy allowing "mirroring" services to a second location and the I was in violation of federal law.
Another 4 call transfers, finally someone found the old account information and reopened it.
This took about 3 hours.
The most irritating part was the disconnect without explanation.
Hope this is a heads-up to others with the same setup

I have 3 receivers at my home, and 2 receivers at my summer cottage 18 miles away.
Originally I had 2 accounts, although the the Csr wanted me to add the 2 cottage receivers to my home account.
After being advised by other Csr's to combine service, I combined the 5 receivers into my home account.
Everything was fine until today.
The 2 receivers at cottage both showed "searching for signal". (was the dish out of alignment?).
Called dtv, after talking to 3 people the receivers were reactivated, and I was told in no uncertain terms that there was never a policy allowing "mirroring" services to a second location and the I was in violation of federal law.
Another 4 call transfers, finally someone found the old account information and reopened it.
This took about 3 hours.
The most irritating part was the disconnect without explanation.
Hope this is a heads-up to others with the same setup

This is a fine line .... kinda a grey area.

If your not watching at one place your fine in the other, to simplify it greatly.

My friends have one at the lake and the others at home, D* knows entirely about them and is fine with it. They are the ones that told them to go ahead with it.

As for the recvrs being deactivated, I'm not sure about that.
Did they have a signal the whole time, because IF you don't have them connected to the Sat signal they will shut down after maybe a month, however you can reactivate then with a rehit from D* or doing it yourself online.

Don't know if that may have been your issue or not.

If the were "disconnected on DirecTV's end I don't think you would be getting the "searching for signal" message. You would still get the free channel AND when you tuned to a subscription channel like CNN, you will get an on-screen message about activating or channel not purchased; or something similar. The "searching for signal" usually mean it can't even find a signal.

I thought the same thing, but the first Csr put me on hold after I gave her the card numbers and within 1 minute both H20's started downloading.I've had d* for 12 years never seen this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)