18" DSS dish and LNBF work for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

suibuliu

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I went to a garage sale today (I know, I am cheap :)), and this gentleman is selling a DSS 18" round dish with mounting support and a LNBF for $5 Canadian, I did not know if it works with FTA or not, so I did not buy it.

But after I went home, I did a search on the forum, and found out that Iceberg did a review on what you can receive at this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74114

It seems that NASA is the interesting one on 119, but Iceberg only mentioned the DBS 18" not the DSS, and I am not sure if they are the same?

Also, the LNBF seems hard-mounted on the dish, is there a way to change the LNBF skew?

Thanks!

GET IT!!!!

DSS is the same as a 18" dish, ExpressVu dish, DishNetwork dish :)

The polarity is circualr, so skew is not needed :)

oh did I mention GET IT!!!

You got that right iceberg. I keep hoping to find some motorola 920 or 922 sidecar for $5. Just in my dreams I guess. Nice find for $5 buck though.

Thanks Iceberg,
The monment I saw your reply, I went out and bought the dish and LNBF for $3 Canadian (i shamelessly bargained it down to 3 :p)

I connected it to my receiver, and got nothing now.

The settings I have for this dish is:
Echo 119,
Normal LNBF (10750, 10750)

And for tp6, I have 12297/20000/H from the factory settings, got nothing, changed to 20000/V, nothing.

changed to 12297/4100/H or V, still nothing.

How do I set the polarization from H/V to L/R?

Is this a normal LNBF? What freqs does it have?

Thanks!

Suibu

suibuliu said:
Thanks Iceberg,
The monment I saw your reply, I went out and bought the dish and LNBF for $3 Canadian (i shamelessly bargained it down to 3 :p)
classic :)
I connected it to my receiver, and got nothing now.

The settings I have for this dish is:
Echo 119,
Normal LNBF (10750, 10750)

And for tp6, I have 12297/20000/H from the factory settings, got nothing, changed to 20000/V, nothing.

changed to 12297/4100/H or V, still nothing.

How do I set the polarization from H/V to L/R?

Is this a normal LNBF? What freqs does it have?

Thanks!

Suibu
change LO to 11250/11250
as for polarity
L=H
R=V

12297 H 20000 is the frequency, polarity, symbol rate :)

Iceberg, you are the King. :)

I now get NASA, although right now, it only shows some star pictures with no sound, and sometimes, a guy bicycling around the country kicks in, I don't know if this is a normal NASA program or not.

The only other TV channel I got is Dish-network PPV preview.

I do get ~60 Radio stations though.

For NASA/DN-PPV, the quality bar is almost 90%, with the yellow bar almost to the far right.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Suibu

suibuliu said:

I now get NASA, although right now, it only shows some star pictures with no sound, and sometimes, a guy bicycling around the country kicks in, I don't know if this is a normal NASA program or not.

For NASA/DN-PPV, the quality bar is almost 90%, with the yellow bar almost to the far right.

Suibu

thats about right...there is a couple other slate type channels (just a screen shot) but thats 119 :)

When you get tired of that try
91W and look for http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/quirks/

When you get tired of that try putting a standard Ku LNBF and see what you can hit. A signal meter is a must!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64881&highlight=18%22

Have fun!

suibuliu said:

Suibu
:D :D

Thanks Ken2400, I will read your posts...

an update: I was tired of watching NASA :p, so I re-aimed the 18" dish and now I got 2 Gol channels. Will they live broadcast Worldcup in 2006 on Gol TV? :)

I now seem to understand it a little bit better, the reason I can receive NASA or Gol is because these Sat transmits signal "circular" way, and my LNBF on the DSS dish is a circular LNBF.

This DSS/LNBF would not work for other Linear sats, such as IA 5 or G10R, and my 30" dish with a linear LNBF would not work for NASA/Gol either, is this correct?

Can I say Circular singnals have more power than linear one, since I can get singnals through a 18" dish? Or is it just becaue this two particular Sats are more powerful? :)

suibuliu said:
I now seem to understand it a little bit better, the reason I can receive NASA or Gol is because these Sat transmits signal "circular" way, and my LNBF on the DSS dish is a circular LNBF.
yep
This DSS/LNBF would not work for other sats, such as IA 5 or G10R, and my 30" dish with a linear LNBF would not work for NASA/Gol either, is this correct?
yep
Can I say Circular singnals have more power than linear one, since I can get singnals through a 18" dish? Or is it just becaue this two particular Sats are more powerful? :)
circular polarity signals are on DBS satellites. These are much higher powered than KU band. Conversely, DBS satellites have to be 9 degrees apart (119, 110, 101, 82, 91, 72.5, 61.5, 148). Ku band can be 2 degrees apart (72, 74, 91, 93, 95, 97, etc)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)