18" DSS dish and LNBF work for FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

suibuliu

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I went to a garage sale today (I know, I am cheap :)), and this gentleman is selling a DSS 18" round dish with mounting support and a LNBF for $5 Canadian, I did not know if it works with FTA or not, so I did not buy it.

But after I went home, I did a search on the forum, and found out that Iceberg did a review on what you can receive at this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74114

It seems that NASA is the interesting one on 119, but Iceberg only mentioned the DBS 18" not the DSS, and I am not sure if they are the same?

Also, the LNBF seems hard-mounted on the dish, is there a way to change the LNBF skew?

Thanks!

GET IT!!!!

DSS is the same as a 18" dish, ExpressVu dish, DishNetwork dish :)

The polarity is circualr, so skew is not needed :)

oh did I mention GET IT!!!

You got that right iceberg. I keep hoping to find some motorola 920 or 922 sidecar for $5. Just in my dreams I guess. Nice find for $5 buck though.

Thanks Iceberg,
The monment I saw your reply, I went out and bought the dish and LNBF for $3 Canadian (i shamelessly bargained it down to 3 :p)

I connected it to my receiver, and got nothing now.

The settings I have for this dish is:
Echo 119,
Normal LNBF (10750, 10750)

And for tp6, I have 12297/20000/H from the factory settings, got nothing, changed to 20000/V, nothing.

changed to 12297/4100/H or V, still nothing.

How do I set the polarization from H/V to L/R?

Is this a normal LNBF? What freqs does it have?

Thanks!

Suibu

suibuliu said:
Thanks Iceberg,
The monment I saw your reply, I went out and bought the dish and LNBF for $3 Canadian (i shamelessly bargained it down to 3 :p)
classic :)
I connected it to my receiver, and got nothing now.

The settings I have for this dish is:
Echo 119,
Normal LNBF (10750, 10750)

And for tp6, I have 12297/20000/H from the factory settings, got nothing, changed to 20000/V, nothing.

changed to 12297/4100/H or V, still nothing.

How do I set the polarization from H/V to L/R?

Is this a normal LNBF? What freqs does it have?

Thanks!

Suibu
change LO to 11250/11250
as for polarity
L=H
R=V

12297 H 20000 is the frequency, polarity, symbol rate :)

Iceberg, you are the King. :)

I now get NASA, although right now, it only shows some star pictures with no sound, and sometimes, a guy bicycling around the country kicks in, I don't know if this is a normal NASA program or not.

The only other TV channel I got is Dish-network PPV preview.

I do get ~60 Radio stations though.

For NASA/DN-PPV, the quality bar is almost 90%, with the yellow bar almost to the far right.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Suibu

suibuliu said:

I now get NASA, although right now, it only shows some star pictures with no sound, and sometimes, a guy bicycling around the country kicks in, I don't know if this is a normal NASA program or not.

For NASA/DN-PPV, the quality bar is almost 90%, with the yellow bar almost to the far right.

Suibu

thats about right...there is a couple other slate type channels (just a screen shot) but thats 119 :)

When you get tired of that try
91W and look for http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/quirks/

When you get tired of that try putting a standard Ku LNBF and see what you can hit. A signal meter is a must!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64881&highlight=18%22

Have fun!

suibuliu said:

Suibu
:D :D

Thanks Ken2400, I will read your posts...

an update: I was tired of watching NASA :p, so I re-aimed the 18" dish and now I got 2 Gol channels. Will they live broadcast Worldcup in 2006 on Gol TV? :)

I now seem to understand it a little bit better, the reason I can receive NASA or Gol is because these Sat transmits signal "circular" way, and my LNBF on the DSS dish is a circular LNBF.

This DSS/LNBF would not work for other Linear sats, such as IA 5 or G10R, and my 30" dish with a linear LNBF would not work for NASA/Gol either, is this correct?

Can I say Circular singnals have more power than linear one, since I can get singnals through a 18" dish? Or is it just becaue this two particular Sats are more powerful? :)

suibuliu said:
I now seem to understand it a little bit better, the reason I can receive NASA or Gol is because these Sat transmits signal "circular" way, and my LNBF on the DSS dish is a circular LNBF.
yep
This DSS/LNBF would not work for other sats, such as IA 5 or G10R, and my 30" dish with a linear LNBF would not work for NASA/Gol either, is this correct?
yep
Can I say Circular singnals have more power than linear one, since I can get singnals through a 18" dish? Or is it just becaue this two particular Sats are more powerful? :)
circular polarity signals are on DBS satellites. These are much higher powered than KU band. Conversely, DBS satellites have to be 9 degrees apart (119, 110, 101, 82, 91, 72.5, 61.5, 148). Ku band can be 2 degrees apart (72, 74, 91, 93, 95, 97, etc)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts