18 month commitment?

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
hello i was wanting to know what the difference is with 18 month commitment? also does all the receivers you get thru dish leased? if so is that the better way to go? i ask because i would like to switch to dish from dtv . im also interested in the 942 and 625.
thanks

The 18 month commitment gives you cheap service calls ($29 vs $99) and a free install (vs $50 activation). Definitely not necessary though!

Either way, the receivers are leased -- that 625 will be free but the 942 usually requires a $250 payment to lease. Basically, with a 625 and a 942, you'll pay $5 for the extra receiver and $5 DVR fee for each receiver ($15 over your programming price). The DVR fees are waived when you have "America's Everything Pack".. As well, you get charged $5 per dual tuner receiver if they're not plugged into phone lines.

As far as the "leasing" goes -- you'll get new receivers (if you go directly through dish anyway), but when you cancel those go back to dish (keep the boxes they come in, they won't ask for the cables that came with them or even the remotes most of the time, they just want their receivers back hehe).

There's 2 nice things to note about Dish Net I've liked: 1. The additional TV fees are only per receiver not per TV (dual tuner, dual output boxes save ya a little), and 2. No commitments for adding new boxes :) If you buy them, they're yours and yeah.. I hate how DTV does that!

Sorry if this sounded all a little rough or something, but yeah.. if you have any more questions or whatever, feel free to ask! :)

Nyes right. $4.98 DVR fee for each DVR. All4 jo, what part of the country you in?? If you're looking to go to Dish, look for a local retailer, stay away from the internet and 800 numbers.

so is the $250 for the 942 like a deposit? or basically im paying them that for the privilage of leasing that receiver?also is there a preference on retailers that i should go with? or shjould i go directly with dish? also what type of dish do you think ill be getting? i would like service from 119,110, and maybe 129 if the voom channels are on that sat. also i noticed that my locals are on 119.im in lexington ky.

I got my dish setup at my local Radioshack. I was in recently and they have an extra 25 dollar mail in rebate so it only costs 24.99 with no commitment or you make 25 with an 18 month commitment. Also they are helpful if you need help and will not be going away in the future and are usually found in every neighborhood. Just make sure you deal with someone who knows what they are talking about. When in doubt ask for the manager :)

You need to go thru a local retailer but ask some questions first.
How long have you been in business and how long have you been doing Dish?
Who will be my installer and how long has he been installing?
Ask your neighbors who installed theirs and are they happy with the installer?

But going from DTV to Dish they will probably use alot of existing wire ect.

Dave nye said:
Wrong it's per box unless you have one of the older DVR's that have no fee, or you have the americas everything pack.
You mean to tell me that two Dish Network CSRs lied to me? I find that very hard to believe. :rolleyes: I guess that's why I always call twice, always get the CSRs name/employee number, record the conversation and create a .wav file (legal in VA), and always ask the CSR to note the specific details of our conversation in my account. According to the 2nd CSR, my account states that I am to pay only one Dish Network DVR Service Fee regardless of how many DVRs are on my account. Although my DVR Free covers my entire account, I guess I was incorrect about the Dish Network policy. :(

all4jo said:
so is the $250 for the 942 like a deposit? or basically im paying them that for the privilage of leasing that receiver?also is there a preference on retailers that i should go with? or shjould i go directly with dish? also what type of dish do you think ill be getting? i would like service from 119,110, and maybe 129 if the voom channels are on that sat. also i noticed that my locals are on 119.im in lexington ky.

Don't you get only one chance at leasing an HD-DVR as a first timer ? If so, why are you wanting to do it now instead of waiting for the 962 ?

The D1000 is only used in certain DMA's you may be getting a SuperDish or a D1000, you could call Dish Network and they would tell yu or just look in the phone book and call someone. here in Omaha we now use the D1000, mainly to eliminate the two dish set up.

I don't think Charlie himself knows when the 962 will be released.
Maybe first quarter 2006. Maybe not.

riffjim4069 said:
According to the 2nd CSR, my account states that I am to pay only one Dish Network DVR Service Fee regardless of how many DVRs are on my account. Although my DVR Free covers my entire account, I guess I was incorrect about the Dish Network policy. :(

can you scan and post your bill?

Wobbie

When did Omaha go to 3 birds?

When I was up there Omaha was a D500 with locals. 61.5 was just for PBS. Darn Omaha has changed a lot Dish wise in a year.

P.S. Still trying to get the Email address of the correct sales rep for the ad.

OK, I called dish, i am in Knoxville, TN, looking to get a 942 (first HD system I would get from them) They told me they are not leasing boxes at all. they said I would have to pay 798$ for the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i paid 988$ for my HD TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

Ok, I am better now. I can get one cheaper off of ebay. I asked about he 800 series non DVR HD, and they said it would be a 198 dollar fee. they said that includes the installer, wiring, equipment, LNB. I told her that I have a spare Dish 500 Dish with Dual LNB's and that I could install everything myself. i then asked her how much it woudl be, she said that it would still be 198$???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just confused

Dish Techinically doesn't allow self installs due to NEC code and legal reasons.

That is why the fee remains the same.

As for the $798 boxes, not even a cable company would lease/rent a box that cost that much.

It took Motorola 6 months and cutting the wholesale price of the boxes in half to get Cox Omaha to start renting the boxes in Omaha. You could buy them at Nebraska Furniture Mart 3 months before you could rent them through Cox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)