1st Irving, TX FIOS TV Install up and running

RScottyL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Irving, Texas
They came out from 9am - 12pm today to install my FIOS TV here in Irving, TX. I did confirm I was the first install here, which is very nice.

I had the HD/DVR installed, which is a Motorola QIP6416-1, which going by Motorola other models, it should have a 160 GB hard drive.

I have tried connecting the IEEE1394 cable from the STB to my computer, in hopes of doing some capturing, but no luck. It does appear that the channels are 5c encryted, and I would probable need a 5c compliant firewire device to record with (DVHS).

Yeah, really enjoy it. I was told yesterday that the remaining areas in D/FW including my area of Wylie, had been pushed back to 1st quarter of 2006. SUCKS! Now I have to get Comcast for a few months because I cant stand watching just 6 channels even though they are HD via built in HD Tuner in my TV.

Yes inquiring minds want to know !! How is the picture quality compared to cable ?

wlee said:
Yes inquiring minds want to know !! How is the picture quality compared to cable ?

The picture quality is alot better than cable. No "fuzzies" as is usually on your typical cable channels. You get a nice clear signal with FIOS TV.

question

What do multiple recievers cost??? any saving on buying the receiver vs rent? Any dual receivers that cut down on cost?

What is Verizon plan for expanding the service? I guess where it is going to be available next and when is top secret info:mad:

purvis said:
What do multiple recievers cost??? any saving on buying the receiver vs rent? Any dual receivers that cut down on cost?
What is Verizon plan for expanding the service? I guess where it is going to be available next and when is top secret info:mad:
SD is $4, HD is $10, HD DVR is $13. One SD receiver is included with the regular package price. I'm not sure if you can get a $4 "credit" if you want a HD receiver or DVR instead of a SD receiver. No SD DVR is currently available but the HD DVR can be "dumbed down" to output SD. The price of the HD receivers includes extra HD content. HD premiums like Showtime, HBO, etc are also included in that price if you also subscribe to the SD equivilent movie package.

All receivers are rented/leased. None are purchased.

The HD DVR has 2 "tuners", but AFAIK only has 1 output. However, it's in the works that the HD DVR will be able to stream video to a non-DVR receiver. This currently is not active though.

All receivers can use Verizon's VOD feature.

I'm not sure how much more "next" there is to go. VOD and HD programming will likely continue to expand. Voom for FiOS is suppose to be in the works. The ultimate rumored goal is to offer all HD content available.

cdru said:
Voom for FiOS is suppose to be in the works. The ultimate rumored goal is to offer all HD content available.

Would be great to get Voom package on FIOS. Would love to get INHD/INHD2 also. That would make for the ultimate HD content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)