Please reply by conversation.

monlover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
California, Ventura
Hi,
having the ardest time to install my 1st FTA,
I live in CA (Ventura Countey) got doul lnb, captive works 800, trying to aim to galaxy 13 or Hellas sat 2.

1st problem, at Hellas sat 2 at dish pointer web site itis showing (-54.9 Elevation ) I do not have any minus on hte dish scal.

2nd- how i can get transponder values from Lyngsat or any web sie that could have updated info.

3rd- no mintion for 39.0 e hellas sat 2 at lyng sat web site. Also can not find telistar 5 satillit at lyngsat web site.

Thanks.

A minus elevation is BELOW the horizon :rolleyes:-- as stated above, you might consider it on the other side of the world (can't receive a signal through the ground:confused:).

Hope you find another to your liking -- good luck.;)

satillite match

:)Thank you very much for your response,
Another installation question:
According to FTA List web site, in order to get Christian Arabic channel (Aghapy), it has to be 97 west Galaxy 19.
At the same time, there is no 97 west galaxy 19 at dish pointer, but there is 97 west Galaxy 25. are we talking about the same one here?
Also if they are the same, which Azimuth I use, the (true) or (magn) and I guess I have to use the out side scale at the attached compass picture or using another type of compass ??:confused:

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Cumpass.JPG
    Cumpass.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 129
97°W used to be Galaxy 25 and is now Galaxy 19. So just pick 97°W on dishpointer. In the receiver you should be able to edit the satellite name, but it doesn't really matter, the 97°W and the transponder information is the important part.

But... you should start out finding your True South satellite or a close one. Probably 121 or 123 for you. This will have almost no skew and should be easier to find.

You should use magnetic and the outer (360°) scale on your compass. That will get you pretty close. Set your elevation as calculated, but bear in mind that dish scales can be off by several degrees so you might need to adjust up or down.

Make sure you're using an active transponder, preferably a strong one, when trying to point the dish. You may need to configure the satellite information and then go to a "manual search" screen to select the known active transponder. It depends on whether the setup / install screen lets you select a transponder.

You will not get any Quality on the meter if the receiver is not listening for an active transponder. If the skew is wrong, you won't get any Quality either.

which Azimuth I use, the (true) or (magn) and I guess I have to use the out side scale at the attached compass picture or using another type of compass ??:confused:

Thank you in advance
Yes use the outside scale and the Magnetic Azimuth.
Bob

Hi, what you mean by finding True South, I thought all I can do is aiming the dish to Azimuth 131.6 as dish pointer web site recommend.
And what is the simplest way to find True South and what you mean by 121 or 123.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

If you are using a dish on a motor, you will have to point the dish/motor assembly to true south to align it to the arc. If you are using a fixed dish (no motor, just aiming at one satellite), you set it to the azimuth of that satellite relative to your location.

Your True South satellite is the one parked closest to your longitude. In your case, this would be 119w (Echostar 7).

As long as your receiver has USALS capability, you can cheat a bit in finding your true south. You enter your latitude and longitude into the receiver, instruct the motor (using the receiver) to drive to a satellite close to your true south, then adjust the dish/motor assembly for maximum signal on that satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)