1st weather test .....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
... had some real bad storms last night .. all night - around 3 inches of rain over a period of around 12 hours of straight thunderstorms with lots of lightening and several bouts of reasonably sized hail .... along with 50-70 mph winds ...

I did not lose my signal at all ... not even once .. had a few blips and a bit of blockiness .. but full signal drop-out did not happen at all.

Am VERY happy with that !

Cable went down for a couple of hours, we had a few power blips too - but the directv install stood strong and came through with flying colors.

:up

I guess my one final concern with the install (I always worry about potential signal loss until after we have been through our first decent storm) is no longer a concern ...

Speaking of power, do you have a generator to power your DBS, TV one lamp and a coffeepot? LOL! I do and love being able to live if the power goes down for a while.

Speaking of power, do you have a generator to power your DBS, TV one lamp and a coffeepot? LOL! I do and love being able to live if the power goes down for a while.

yup - during the ice-storm just before christmas when most of Tulsa was without power for 7-10 days ... my generator kept me entertained ...

tv - satellite - radio - light - computer - fridge - freezer and coffeepot. What more could anyone possibly need ?

:)

cost us a fortune to keep it running .. but its gotta be better then sitting in the dark

yup - during the ice-storm just before christmas when most of Tulsa was without power for 7-10 days ... my generator kept me entertained ...

tv - satellite - radio - light - computer - fridge - freezer and coffeepot. What more could anyone possibly need ?

:)

cost us a fortune to keep it running .. but its gotta be better then sitting in the dark
I agree, totally worth it.
I have a small one to run my essentials, but my parents put in an automatic propane back up. Runs the whole house with power to spare

Well jokeworm, I experienced the same storm as you last night North Bixby). Same thing not complete loss of signal but the intermittent blip. Heck even the OTA signal had that. Eventhough I can lose the signal for a short duration when a big storm is to the south, it was nothing like with cable when it would go out for hours and even days.

Broken Arrow (southeast of Tulsa, north of Bixby), here. I lost signal for only a few minutes twice during the heaviest of the quarter to dollar coin sized hail. I had a momentary power hit as my receiver went SFSS one time and by the time the receivers had reset, they were back on KOTV and Travis.

As for backup power, I plan to get something in place before next winter. In my case, I have a bigger priority-my wife needs a bipap machine to sleep and is on oxygen 24 hours a day. I need enough capacity to run a concentrator and the bipap. DirecTV would be a secondary priority in that case.

One last thing. For anyone who's in the Tulsa area, you know what I'm saying. I really, REALLY miss Jim Giles. I hope... no, I know he enjoyed his ringside seat at last night's show!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts