2/10/2010 2:07pm - Uplink Activity Report - 97 changes

WOW - PQ on BBCA-HD is insanely good. Actually, all of the new channels are super pretty. Is E* using some kind of new compression technology, or are these signals just especially high quality?

To make the Guide smaller, they do not show channels from other packages, so people who are not Dish Latino subs do not have 5300s in their guide.

Yes, DL does not include all the Discovery channels, but many Discovery programs rotate through most of the channels. For example, some of the Science-HD programs have later shown on Discovery-HD channel.

Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, HD Theater and National Geographic are all included in HD.

As Randall mentioned, Spike is included at 5303 and the others you cited are indeed not included.

Again, everything from 5300-5405 is included, in HD.

Do you guys get Big ten network HD or is it like in 250 where you only get it if you are in certain areas? I am in RI. That is actually a channel I like that i had on fios since they show wrestling in hd.

WOW - PQ on BBCA-HD is insanely good. Actually, all of the new channels are super pretty. Is E* using some kind of new compression technology, or are these signals just especially high quality?

I don't think they have as many channels as normal on those transponders yet. Give them time...

Can you see 129 from where you are? If so then it costs you (in terms of channels lost) absolutely nothing to do 110/119/129, regardless of whether you have a 61.5. But I'm probably not telling you anything you didn't already know. :)

I'm not sure, I'd have to get on the roof and see where the trees are, and that's not happening right now :) But if I re-pointed at 129, I think the dishes would collide because of the way they're mounted.

why was the new hd channels not put on 61.5 instead of 72,Most people that have 61.5 did so because 129 is to low to receive from their area. Mine included. Why didnt they put them on 119 or 110. And move the nonhd channels to 61.5 or 129. I feel like I am getting shafted. Does anyone know if this going to corrected at least 61.5 can get these channels. The only I get is SMC . Which I am not a sports fan. So I wont subs to it anyway.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/2101395-post4.html

Basically folks with 110/119 w/ 61.5 wing dishes will need to upgrade to 61/72/77(1000.4) or 110/119/129 (1000.2) setups to get these channels.

Why did they do this?

1. E-3 has had more failures in the past few months. They don't want to put up more HD then have to take it down. They have filed to move E-6 to E-3 incase of another failure at 61.5.

2. They have a bunch of room at 72.7 with the new Nimiq5 bird with more transponders on the way as DirecTV vacates them.

3. 129 has the room to support the channels for WA customers.

4. Why not just put it on 119? They had room before! Correct. They have room at 119, but this room is needed for the E-14 shuffle coming up when E-14 is in orbit. Plus E-14 actually requires more transponders for efficient beam utilization. This will come more into play during the 8PSK WA conversion.

So basically the E-3 life and E-14 shuffle probably forced their hand at this, and they figure most of the customers have LOS to either WA or EA.

Okay, I keep waiting for the 922 to come out so that I can upgrade and move over to the Eastern Arc -- These new channels are killing me!! Any idea when the 922 is coming to market? And can I just move my 110/119 over to 72/77?

Okay, I keep waiting for the 922 to come out so that I can upgrade and move over to the Eastern Arc -- These new channels are killing me!! Any idea when the 922 is coming to market? And can I just move my 110/119 over to 72/77?

First, I like your avatar.

I've been playing with one and although it's coming along, there are still features that aren't implemented yet. Not sure if we can talk about them here, but there are threads in the 922 forum. I have no idea when it'll be available, but they need to get the main features working reliably.

Just thinking about watching Top Gear has me at half mast.

BBC America shows a lot of older episodes (like right now).

Only the most recent season was in HD.

However, like most UK shows, it is 16x9 and 576i resolution.

So, when it is upconverted to HD, it looks a lot better than US SD - just short a little resolution, and lacking that color accuracy of HD.

I'm currently checking out this showing of Top Gear to see how much of it is removed by BBC America. Previously, US showings of Top Gear removed some equally entertaining material from the show, such as "The News" which sometime had UK references, and "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" which often featured various UK pop stars who might be unknown to Americans.

So, since I have seen the entire 59 minute version of this episode (on that Interweb thingy), I'll let you know what is missing.

PQ on this not-yet-HD ep looks equal to the source, though. :up

My Situation

I am located in Rochester, NY. Bundled with my telephone company for the last 4 years. I have 2 - 500's pointed at 110/119 and 61.5.

Signed on to chat, asked what could be done about getting me access to the new HD channels. Without any question or begging, someone will be here Friday to do whatever they need to do for a cost of $15 installation.

Your mileage may vary depending on your situation, how much sleep the CSR got the night before and the phase of the moon.

Thanks,

Brian

Hmm... the Top Gear episode showed the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", although this time the Star was American.... they did not show "The News"....it is hard to say what else was missing without going back to the original, but either they dropped another whole segment, or else they shortened all the segments...

I have tried calling four times to get upgraded to eastern arc.These CSR arent trained for new info. The last one tried to kept telling me BBCA was only in standard def . Then he kept telling me I am going to see what I can do to get you the 129 orbital location. He kept repeating this over and over. Even after I kept telling him I cant receive it from location this signal is too low. Live in condo and association will not let you put dish on the roofs. You cant get EA because you live in ga. Well my sister in law lives 1 1/2 hrs away and she gets the EA. The last two I told them politely I was going to hang up which I did. Only 1 person was aware of the New Hd channels and he couldnt help because the system was down .Call back in 1/2 hr which I have twice. Neither one of them knew what they were talking about.I wished I had written down his name and ID number he might have got me the dish upgrade. He was in Colorodo and the Last one in the Philipines. Is there any where online you can check from my zipcode can I get EA. CS is like play russian roulette and getting the bullet most of the time . LOL. BTW 3 out 4 were in the US. The first one tried to tell me I couldnt get EA but she put in a request for the techs to put the new channels on 61.5.

I dont see why they dont put them up in 61.5 too. Then if they have to take them down so be it. At least we would have them. Or least send out letters to the Customers before adding new hd to the 72.7. having the 110/119/61.5. Would have to upgrade the dish and offer a free upgrade. If they offered a free upgrade. I might be willing to stay for another 2yr committment. But I cant get these CSR to offer me an upgrade at all. See above post

Seriously?

Ok. I feel stupid. I wasn't reading all the way to the right of each line of the report to see the channel names. Duh!!!!:eek::D

I hope this helps you....
114 E! HD
135 BBC America HD
149 Fox Soccer Channel HD
185 Hallmark HD
204 Tru TV HD
285 Sportsman Channel
319 Showtime West HD
363 Indieplex HD
365 Retroplex HD

There seem to be some temporary Olympic channels:
550 Olympic 1
551 Olympic 2
552 Olympic 3

Thank you.

I have tried calling four times to get upgraded to eastern arc.These CSR arent trained for new info. .
First thing you need to do is get transfered to the Technical Department . They are the only ones that can help you with satellite dish upgrades,and channel / satellite lists. Everyone else is clueless.
Customers with the protection plan are getting upgrade for $15, customers without Protection planvare getting charged the standard $95 technition service fee.

BUT if your not Eastern arc at your location, They will not give you an Eastern arc setup.
They will only give you the required setup for your area. (It just may be the 129, just because you live in the eastern USA,doesn't mean your eastern arc)

If you want something thats not required by Dish, then you must upgrade yourself at your own expence.