2/11/2009 5:22pm - Uplink Activity Report - 109 changes

Thanks Digi. I guess I'll still have to wait for EA for existing customers. Not a fan of having a separate dish installed just for those locals.
What dish do you have now EA?
Sorry, I meant that I had to wait for an EA dish to become available for existing customers. I currently have a 1000.2 and would need to update my 501 receiver to an MPEG4 HD model. I've just been waiting upgrade the receiver and dish at the same time when allowed to for existing customers.

I wonder why the Tupelo and Meridian, MS markets are not being placed on the EA? Will they be moved again later on, once they are made available?

Only speculation here, but most everyone in this area has had a 1000.2 dish installed for HD programming. Even E5 gave us a decent signal in this part of the country, so that's why there's a large installed base of 1000.2's. To me this is good news that they are going to put these on the WA. I don't have to do anything...no new wing dish and still a single dish solution.

Sorry, I meant that I had to wait for an EA dish to become available for existing customers. I currently have a 1000.2 and would need to update my 501 receiver to an MPEG4 HD model. I've just been waiting upgrade the receiver and dish at the same time when allowed to for existing customers.

I guess I'm confused here. If you are talking about the new locals coming online soon then you will be good to go with the 1000.2.

Digi, have you heard if the New Orleans Fox Channel (ch 8) will be HD or SD, because last week when they were uplinked, NBC, CBS, and ABC channels said MPEG4 HD, but the Fox channel said MPEG4 SD. We were hoping that was a typo, but have you been able to find out if we will get Fox in HD, or SD from 129 starting Febuary 17th.?
From what i have heard/read
Spotbeam 50 TP 10 has 4 MPEG-4 HD streams with New Orleans designations assigned to them.
Shouldnt be available until WED 18th per retailer chat(as long as things go ok)
attachment.php

I guess I'm confused here. If you are talking about the new locals coming online soon then you will be good to go with the 1000.2.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm in the Jackson DMA and HD locals were made available on 61.5 last year. My initial post was when I noticed in the recent uplink activity that the Tupelo and Meridian locals were going to be placed on Ciel-2 instead of 61.5, and you answered the reasoning behind it.

The rest of my blithering was just me wondering when the EA dish would be made available to existing customers, since I am holding out for that so I can have a one-dish solution for Jackson locals in HD. No biggie... I've waited this long, I can wait a while longer.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm in the Jackson DMA and HD locals were made available on 61.5 last year. My initial post was when I noticed in the recent uplink activity that the Tupelo and Meridian locals were going to be placed on Ciel-2 instead of 61.5, and you answered the reasoning behind it.

The rest of my blithering was just me wondering when the EA dish would be made available to existing customers, since I am holding out for that so I can have a one-dish solution for Jackson locals in HD. No biggie... I've waited this long, I can wait a while longer.

Ahhhh... I gotcha! I know a few folks bought the EA dish themselves. As you probably already know, all of your receivers have to be MPEG4 receivers with the new cards for EA.

I imagine tman is upset that Tuscon is the #68 DMA and E* hasn't tabled in the Tuscon HD locals, let alone even mentioned them in passing. Tuscon like Indy has been one of the red-headed stepchildren. He sees DMAs with uplinks on both arcs yet nothing for his DMA. He sees lower-ranking DMAs with uplinked HD locals. Tuscon wasn't even mentioned in the after March group on the retailer chat. I can understand the frustration. It should also be pointed out that some of the larger DMAs were already up on 129 on ConUS and had to be moved to spots right away. Markets already up on 61.5 only need to have their signals uplinked to 129 which is easier than having to get the signal to a PoP before uplinking. I'm sure E* has a plan for adding markets. We just don't know what it is. From the looks of the schedule they are adding about 6 markets per week so it's going to take a while to get to everyone.

I imagine tman is upset that Tuscon is the #68 DMA and E* hasn't tabled in the Tuscon HD locals, let alone even mentioned them in passing. Tuscon like Indy has been one of the red-headed stepchildren. He sees DMAs with uplinks on both arcs yet nothing for his DMA. He sees lower-ranking DMAs with uplinked HD locals. Tuscon wasn't even mentioned in the after March group on the retailer chat. I can understand the frustration. It should also be pointed out that some of the larger DMAs were already up on 129 on ConUS and had to be moved to spots right away. Markets already up on 61.5 only need to have their signals uplinked to 129 which is easier than having to get the signal to a PoP before uplinking. I'm sure E* has a plan for adding markets. We just don't know what it is. From the looks of the schedule they are adding about 6 markets per week so it's going to take a while to get to everyone.

yeah pretty much sums it up..

I have some internal issues with "moving", but I might be forced too do it.

Markets already up on 61.5 only need to have their signals uplinked to 129 which is easier than having to get the signal to a PoP before uplinking. I'm sure E* has a plan for adding markets. We just don't know what it is. From the looks of the schedule they are adding about 6 markets per week so it's going to take a while to get to everyone.

Ahh...don't say that. It's not as easy as you think. 61.5's beams are uplinked from the same area they are downlinked. Like Jackson, MS and Mobile, AL are uplinked from Jackson, MS uplink.

Ciel-2 is different. They might have Atlanta, GA's beam uplinking from Gilbert, AZ. So now you have the locals uplinking from the Atlanta uplink facility, but now you have to fiber them over to Gilbert, AZ to uplink them to Ciel-2.

Remember there are only 32 frequencies on the uplink side so they have to reuse those with spotbeamed uplinks in order to feed all the spotbeams on the backside.

so with all these uplinks, when will this go into effect ? when will the hd channels be acutally be ready to view?

Uplinks can be turned on 5 seconds from now, or they may just be uplinked for engineering purposes and never available to the public. One only has to look at how many time YES was uplinked, only to be taken down again over the years. There really isn't a timeframe that we know. The one thing that does help is one Dish announces that on a certain date channels will be available, as one can see by the picture from the retailer chat a few weeks ago...