2 311's or 1 322?

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
I am getting service installed on the 16th and I have 2 TV's I need to hookup. I was wondering if it's better to get a pair of 311's or just get a 322 under the DHA? I guess I would avoid paying the $5 fee if I just got the 322, but I wouldn't own the hardware (which I guess can be good or bad).

I'm getting it installed from a local installer, so he'll install either for me. Just wondering what the thoughts are on the 322 with it's new interface.

Thanks.

--Matt

Don't know how important PQ is to you, but with the 322 the 2nd output is strickly RF, no video or S-Video outputs, and RF is the lowest level of PQ that you can use from a STB to a TV.

A 2nd point is if you have only one receiver, and it dies, you have no DBS service until it's repaired/replaced. If you have two seperate boxes you'd have one that's still working.

Also, it's a matter of wiring.

If you have a 322, you have two wires running into the rcvr, and one running out to the second television.

As opposed to 2 311's, where they work like cable boxes. One line in, to TV.

Alot of prewired houses have issues with X22's. You might also want to think about the complexity of installation. If the 2nd TV is upstairs, on the other side of the house.

I'll have to talk to my installer and see what he says. I would like to get the new style UI, but if it's a big pain, then it might not be worth it. Although saving the $5 a month wouldn't be a bad thing either.

The two TVs won't be right next to each other, but the house is only a single story, so it might not be that bad.

--Matt

I don't think the 322 is that bad... Not seen any bugs of late?

Also, depending on your setup I happen to like the 322... I have the 2nd output piped into the house wiring... So the 322 stays where it is, and any guests we have staying can take the remote to their "guest room" and watch TV.

Normally the eldest child has the remote and watches TV in his room. We can see when he's watching 'cos the little blue LED comes on. If he's watching TV past bedtime we know!

For me, the 322 is a great "parental control" for viewing times... The LED gives away what he's doing (when he shouldn't be)!

just my $0.02 and it will depend upon what your 2nd use of the TV is for.

Free Dish vs. DHA

If you don't need the local channels in your area the monthly bill would be the same.
Free Dish promo (end up owning equipment after year) w/o locals $24.99mo + $4.99 2nd box = $29.98mo.
Digital Home Advantage (lease electronics) $29.99mo. includes Local channels

Yeah, I need the locals, and piping that 2nd output into the house wiring sounds like a cool idea. That way if we ever did decide to add another small TV somewhere, we could just plug it in and use the UHF remote.

Sounds like the 322 has some cool features, I'm not really concerned about the RF output for the 2nd tv, as long as my 'good' tv in the living room is running off S-Video, I'm not too worried.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

--Matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts