2.4 METER DISH - DIRECT TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

euronatura

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
US
I need to get at least a 2.4 meter dish for Direct TV reception. I have hte following questions:

1) Does it have to be offset?
2) DTV operates KU o C band or both and at what range?
3) Where can I get a cheap dish that fits my needs?

Thanks

Where in the US are you? Cheap would suggest looking for an old "C" band solid or Ku mesh 8' prime focus dish still set up in someones yard.

Offset or prime focus doesn't matter, it only affects the apparent aiming of the dish, not the actual performance (though I guess prime focus should actually have better performance)

DirecTV is Ku band for standard programming, and Ka band for HD programming, though since they have a custom dish/LNB for Ka band stuff, bringing your own dish isn't going to work for HD. It's also circular polarization and not linear, so a standard FTA LNB won't work.

Where exactly are you, and what programming are you trying to get?

JosephB - what a wealth of info! I am in Mexico (Cabo) and was planning on bringing my DTV HD box with me next trip. I know 101W is outside of the footprint but was going to experiment with 99 and 103; hard to tell from SatBeams if they are in the footprint or not. I have a 1M and 1.8M offset dish with a linear (std?) lnb and also have access to a 10' BUD that is set up for C-Band. At minimum it looks like I will need a DTV "special" LNB if I want to get Ka on anything? If you have any suggestions before I start I would appreciate it!

Sorry to hijack this thread....

The Ka LNB that DirecTV uses actually has 3 LNBs in one. You would need a dish that can focus the 3 satellites at the LNB. There are no switches that you can use to combine 3 separate LNBs, so 3 separate dishes wouldn't work. You must use the special 3LNB assembly that DirecTV provides.

In 2000 I bought a special DirecTV splicer that allowed me to use three 1 meter dishes, 2 of them with dual LNB (it's been awhile since I set them up, so I think it was the 101 and 110 that had the duals), and the 119 was a single. This splicer combined one of the cables from the 110 and the only one from the 119, and it outputed to a single cable... so you had 4 cables running back to the 5-in-8-out multiplex box, and that went to the directv boxes for each of the (up to 8) outputs. I was able to get HD with this setup, but I had to upgrade to a more expensive 5-in-8-out multiplexer. I was able to get solid 100s at 350' away from my dish using hard line cable. It's more of a commercial type setup, but it worked. I don't know if they sell that combiner thing any more. It was only the size of any standard 2-in-1-out splitter/combinner that you can buy, but it was specially designed with some simple filtering obviously. it had to be easy to do, because it was no bigger than a simple splitter. Now, having said all that...

I started to read about the future and where Directv is moving towards. And I see that after the new satellite, DirecTV 11 is made fully operational they'll supplying the Dual/Triple/5-LNB dishes and move to 3-LNB Ka/Ku dishes called Slimline3, and they will see 99, 101, and 103 Degrees West. They will become the new standard dish for HD and SD programming and the 5-LNB Slimline will be used for installs in areas that receive local/international programming from 110 or 119.

I guess these Slimline3's will visually look pretty much identical to what we have now, but a smaller LNB.

What I don't see is when this is suppose to take place.

Last edited:
You might want to look at the larger rigs they are installing in AK and HI. They might have the LNB you need.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)