2" Antenna Mast

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I purchased a Winegard HD8200U antenna on Ebay a little while ago

and got a great deal. It is quite a large antenna and the instructions are

recommending 2" mast. Can I use 2" OD galvanized pipe???

Radio Shack only sells the 1.25" standard mast. I found some 2" mast

on Ebay but with the shipping it will cost more than my antenna did!!! :eek:

I only paid $66 with shipping for the antenna! :D

I just got off the phone with a local Winegard dealer

and he says that the 2" recommendation is a misprint! :confused:

There is no such beastie as 2" OD pipe. The closest you can get is 1.9" with 1-1/2" pipe (all schedules are the same OD).

Like satellite antennas, the issue is mostly about wind loading and not so much about the weight. With a 14' long boom, there's a lot of potential for twisting in the wind.

Like satellite antennas, the issue is mostly about wind loading and not so much about the weight. With a 14' long boom, there's a lot of potential for twisting in the wind

Depending on the antenna setup the right wind (100-130 MPH) can do more than just twist the antenna on the mast as the storm in July bend my guyed Rohn tower and bend my top part of my antenna mast and the mast is 1 1/2" doubled walled pipe.

I am near Lake Erie and we do get wind!!!

I went through 3 Radio Shack antennas in the last 12 years! :mad:

They just start blowing apart after a couple of years.

I am not sure who made them but now the Radio Shack manager

says that they are now made by Winegard! :up

A buddy has a 20' tower he wants to get rid of.

After thinking about the sizeof this antenna and the wind....

it might be a smart idea!

I am near Lake Erie and we do get wind!!!

I went through 3 Radio Shack antennas in the last 12 years! :mad:

They just start blowing apart after a couple of years.

I am not sure who made them but now the Radio Shack manager

says that they are now made by Winegard! :up

My two Channel Master antenna are over 20 years old and had never lost any elements until July when my roof lost it's shingles and my big crossfire 3617B was in the way. Now I'm just going to replace the crossfire and stack two CM 1111 under my other antenna and I'm replacing my roof with metal so no more shingles.

My wish was list either a Channel Master or a Winegard. :up

The cheap price kind of made my decision! :D

My father-in-law has had the same Radio Shack antenna forever it seems...

...It is on its third house!!! :eek:

I just use a piece of 2" pipe I got at Lowes (2" OD 1 3/4 ID)...10 foot section was only like 15 bucks

Yeah down on the farm that is always what we did!

The antenna was much smaller than this one.

Some "genius" told me that that 2" pipe was too heavy

weight wise and did not have enough strength!!!

aside: As a matter of forum etiquette, double spacing and formatting using spaces and paragraph breaks is not necessary or appreciated.

Pipe (either "black" or galvanized) is made of mild carbon steel. It is pretty strong and comes in schedules up to double extra heavy. Pipe OD is independent of wall thickness (only the ID changes as the schedule changes). Rigid conduit is offered in pipe sizes.

The real problem with pipe is that there isn't any that comes in nice round ODs like 2" (until you get to 14" where pipe is measured by OD). For most yagi applications this isn't an issue because you're typically dealing with u-bolt clamps as opposed to easily deformed metal sleeves. Yagi's aren't rendered invalid by not being absolutely level.

The only way to get a true 2" OD tube is to order steel tubing (that IS measured by OD) or use chain link fence posts that are also measured by OD. Muffler shops are a good source of steel tubing. With tubing you often have a lot more latitude in wall thickness, but the cost goes up quickly.

Doubling up on pipe isn't as strong or rigid as a heavy schedule pipe. When under stress, the inner pipe will slide end-to-end to relieve the pressure and welding the ends only brings additional tensile and compression stresses.

I just use a piece of 2" pipe I got at Lowes (2" OD 1 3/4 ID)...10 foot section was only like 15 bucks

Things must be a lot cheaper in Minnesota!!! :(

Our local Lowes does not carry anything over 1 1/4" and
the price was $26+ for a 10 footer!!! :eek: