2º compliant dish question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Does a 2 degree compliant dish mean the dish will not pick up two different satellites at the same time .For example if i am tune to IA8 the dish will not be getting interference from G11.If i scan IA8 will it also be scanning channels on G11 at the same time or does it only scan the satellite you set on at that moment.Is an 8.5 meter dish a 2 degree compliant dish?Thanks

Any C-Band dish 1.8m (6') diameter and above is 2º complinant. (With Ku Band its any dish 60cm and bigger)

2 degree compliance actually refers to the ability (mathematically)
to separate signals from satellites spaced two degrees apart at the equator.
This is directly related to the beamwidth of the antenna, which is narrower as you go to larger diameter antennas. In reality, nothing smaller than 8 feet in diameter can be considered 2 degree compliant on C-band.

true Mike
I know when I was ghetto moving my 6 foot C-Band dish the other day on the far west side I got bleedover on alot of the free C-Band channels

For C-band, 8'5ft is a minimum size for 2degs compliant, for Ku, 90cm should do the job.

Does a 2 degree compliant dish mean the dish will not pick up two different satellites at the same time .For example if i am tune to IA8 the dish will not be getting interference from G11.If i scan IA8 will it also be scanning channels on G11 at the same time or does it only scan the satellite you set on at that moment.Is an 8.5 meter dish a 2 degree compliant dish?Thanks

6ft should work fine with sats in less "crowded" area such as Pas9, AMC6, G4R, F1, F2 and the 2 SatMex.
Between IA8 and IA5, it will pick up signal from 3 sats at same time...:)

true Mike
I know when I was ghetto moving my 6 foot C-Band dish the other day on the far west side I got bleedover on alot of the free C-Band channels

6ft should work fine with sats in less "crowded" area such as Pas9, AMC6, G4R, F1, F2 and the 2 SatMex.
Between IA8 and IA5, it will pick up signal from 3 sats at same time...:)

which can be good. I like getting the nets on G4 and some stuff on IA5 at the same time

No problems here with a 1.8m ( 6') dish with 99% of C-band satellites, when talking about C-band dish size its important to distinguish between Analog and digital!!

NEVER noticed any interference from adjacent satellites with digital signals and I am slap bang in the middle of the country!

See below picture for C-band dish sizes required...........

Attachments

• dish_size.jpg
    dish_size.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 238
Pete I'm 45 minutes from you and I can get 2 satellites if I wanted too

I can get the nets on G4 (digital) and a couple feeds and channels on IA5 next door :)

And thats very cool, but is that interference from adjacent satellites? Have you ever NOT been able to get a digital signal with a 6' dish because of this interference from adjacent satellites may be a better way to put it.

Of course with analog it manifests itself as two pictures at the same time so its easy to see, and more of a problem, but its never been an issue with digital signal for me with the 1.8m here in the US and the 1.7m I had back home (Different spacing over there of course)

No problems here with a 1.8m ( 6') dish with 99% of C-band satellites, when talking about C-band dish size its important to distinguish between Analog and digital!!

NEVER noticed any interference from adjacent satellites with digital signals and I am slap bang in the middle of the country!

See below picture for C-band dish sizes required...........

How can you make the picture bigger? I click the thumbnail and I still have to touch my eyeball to the screen to read it on my 21 inch screen.

Seen that :0) That picture is especially for members with dial up only :)

The original question is what size of the C-band considered as 2 degs compliance. So the answer is anything larger than 8ft. 6ft dish is not a 2 degs compliance. If one points at at 99W and get signal from 97W and 101W, that dish is not 2 degs compliant.
I was banned once in a while for stating the fact, that was somehow misunderstood as I am trying to be smart here. Some consider that's nice to get signal from 2 or 3 sats at same time, yes that's convienent but if the interfere signal from the other sats happen to be the same freq as the one you intent to get, you might end up not getting lock on target signal at all.
FTARock.

Last edited:
The 2 degree compliant dish will attenuate the reception of a signal more than 2 degrees off axis by at least 3dB.

Example: A Winegard DS-2076 is not 2 degree compliant. The 3dB attenuation occurs at 2.4 degrees on the DS-2076. While it may be novel to receive two satellites with a dish in a fixed position with one LNB, it is not desireable. The RF from neighboring satellites will often degrade reception.

A recent example is the recent problems with 2 degree separation occurred with IA5 / G16 / AMC4. The majority of continued decreased signal quality complaints are now attributed to viewers with dishes that are not 2 degree compliant.

If there is a consumer dish available with 3dB attenuation at 2 degrees or less for 11.7 - 12.2GHz and is smaller than 90cm, I am not aware of it.

F/D 0.37 is not a deep dish. You will unlikely find any deep dish at 6ft.
The deeper the dish, the narrower the beam is. Problem is that there is less gain with deep dish, that why manufacture make "flat" dish for anything less than 8ft.

This is the dish I use, very nearly 2º compliant @ Mainlobe Beamwidth:
C Band: 2.915 degrees

I have read that its not just the size of the dish but also the depth!

http://www.samidish.com/6ft.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)