2 days in and no linear sats

Status
Please reply by conversation.
TRG, join the crowd! I bought a Viewsat Ultra last fall when they hadn't been out long, thinking it was the one with the best processor and memory etc.
Most of it works fine, but the AC-3 sound pass-thru NEVER worked properly.​
I called those folks many times over the next 5 months or so, and they never did fix it. Kept telling me a firmware upgrade would be 'out soon' and "next week at latest" etc.​
They had other markets in mind, apparently. Read about their lawsuit if you haven't already. My next one won't be a viewsat.​
What's frustrating is that I'm new to this and I thought it was me not understanding something. I've learned a ton of things from this experience but I can't honestly say it was pleasant.​

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer I bought it from. I listed my problems and asked if anybody else is reporting the same issues. Luckily for me he has a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee. I'll probably buy a coolsat or pansat unit from him. I originally had my eye on a Pansat 3500SD I should have stayed with. I can live without PVR for a while.​

The guys seem to like their Pansat 3500sd's
Based on the good will here, I'd get one in a heartbeat, if I needed it.

But, if you're PVR-happy, did you read the reviews and comments here about the Visionsat IV200?
Might cost even less than the unit you've got.
Seemed -pretty- bug free at introduction, and just getting the last little insects eradicated right now. :cool:
Could be worth your attention if you've had it with your current receiver.

The guys seem to like their Pansat 3500sd's
Based on the good will here, I'd get one in a heartbeat, if I needed it.

But, if you're PVR-happy, did you read the reviews and comments here about the Visionsat IV200?
Might cost even less than the unit you've got.
Seemed -pretty- bug free at introduction, and just getting the last little insects eradicated right now. :cool:
Could be worth your attention if you've had it with your current receiver.

I would have purchased the Visionsat IV200 if it had a rear facing USB port. It's a WAF thing.

It seems like PVR for FTA is in it's infancy here in North America. It's been around in Europe for quite a while. I was in Ireland a couple of years ago and most houses had at least one satellite dish and a yagi style UHF antenna for digital OTA. Some of the "lads" I was working with invited me over for supper and would display their satellite fed flat panel TV's proudly. Most of them sported PVR. That was in 2005.

Anyway I'm still waiting to see if this dealer makes good on the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If not I might just keep it and hope that future firmware releases will correct the problems I'm seeing.

The funny thing is that I broke one of my cardinal rules with the purchase of this receiver. NEVER NEVER NEVER buy something when it first comes out. Shame on me.:eek:

I would have purchased the Visionsat IV200 if it had a rear facing USB port. It's a WAF thing.
I remember you !
I think we already had this discussion.

And now that it's costing you time, money, and anguish, you -really- don't want to know what I think! :eek:

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy something when it first comes out.
If you must, at least get a reading on it from the SatGuy's reviews.
And if necessary, ask about getting a unit sent to Iceberg for a look-see. :cool:

UPDATE 10/2/07

Well everything is up and working except for the blind scan. It appears that most of the bugs in the Viewsat VS PRO are in the installation menus. Now that it's up and running it's changing channels and moving to my 12 preset satellites flawlessly. PBS dolby digital through my Harmon Kardon home theater receiver sounds great too! I watched an episode of "The War" last night and was pretty impressed. The only thing I didn't try yet is the PVR functions. I have an 80 Gb Western Digital external USB drive I need to clear and try out. I'll let you know how that works out this weekend.​

Thanks for all the help guys. You're the best.​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)