2 hoppers 0 joeys

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Can anyone explain why dish won't do a 2 hopper or 3 or 4 hopper and 0 Joey setup ? I don't get it. Local retailer will do it why won't dish ? How many tuners does the dvr that came out right before the hopper have ?

Can anyone explain why dish won't do a 2 hopper or 3 or 4 hopper and 0 Joey setup ? I don't get it. Local retailer will do it why won't dish ? How many tuners does the dvr that came out right before the hopper have ?

The best explanation I have been given is the cost to Dish to provide you 2 Hoppers (expensive) versus 1 Hopper (expensive) and 1 Joey (cheap). However, with the fee increase for additional Hoppers just weeks away, I will be curious to see if Dish changes their policy. An extra $7 a month may not have been worth the cost to Dish for the extra Hopper...the new increased fee may change that. I believe the previous DVR had 2 tuners (+1 for OTA)?? But, I came over after the Hopper, so someone else can confirm or correct that.

Just order 2H/2J then when the installer comes either tell him you don't want the Joeys. Or let him activate the Joeys, and when he leaves, call Dish tell them you don't need the Joeys and they'll send out (free) boxes to return them.

Third Hopper and beyond must be purchased.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yeah I was gonna do that or just use local retailer for my install. I just was wondering why.

. Is there any advantage to calling dish to sign up and install rather than local retailer ?

I'd say if you have one, support your local installer. But make sure he actually installs, doesn't just take orders and pass them on to Dish.

Yeah there's a few here and I know at least one actually installs which is who I will go with unless I go thru dish itself.

I wanted to do two hoppers and one joey and Dish wants me to increase it to two hoppers and three joeys because of a 5 tv rule. Will Dish remove the fees for the extra joeys if you return them? Also will this really work? Sorry but I don't want to do this and have the wife rip me a new one for screwing up.

I wanted to do two hoppers and one joey and Dish wants me to increase it to two hoppers and three joeys because of a 5 tv rule. Will Dish remove the fees for the extra joeys if you return them? Also will this really work? Sorry but I don't want to do this and have the wife rip me a new one for screwing up.
If you want it done upfront without the hassle, then get the order configured through a local retailer.

If you want to go through Dish directly, then you will have to do 2H/2J. Then drop one joey during the install. Not sure how the CSR came up with 3 Joey requirement, but it's just plain wrong.

2 + 0 still = 2

I thought I was going to have to use a local retailer but when I called Dish they didn't have any problem only doing 2 HWS. However, when the installer showed up he had two Joeys that I returned through the mail without issue.

I believe the previous DVR had 2 tuners (+1 for OTA)?? But, I came over after the Hopper, so someone else can confirm or correct that.
No, tuner configuration did not change...still 3 tuners plus optional OTA module.