2 hoppers 3 joey's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Damin69

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
WI
Ok I am wonder if it is possible and pros and cons of having a set up of 1 hopper in the main room with no Joeys hooked up and having a second hopper with 3 joeys hooked up.

We just got the hopper. Wife is all up set and does not like it. We had I believe it was a 522 non HD unit and a 322 before so 2 rooms never had DVR and could watch what they want any time. And if 2 things were recording at once we had to watch what was recording or a recording. We added a room so had to upgrade.

Well she got this IDEA in here head from the commercial that you can record 6 shows and watch 6 shows. Not going to happen.

Anyway So after getting my timers set up we had 3 thing recording and only gave her the option to view one of the items recording or a prerecorded show.

The Hopper system is set up with H1 and J1, H2 and J2-J3. So I am trying to figure out if there would be any advantage or dis advantage of H1 with NO Joey and H1 with J1-J2-J3 attached. Also If I am looking at it correctly the connections to from the hoppers to joey is handled within the Hopper settings correct?

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help. Trying to Calm down situation with Wife.....

I have 2H/3J set up. I can access either Hopper from any Joey for play back. I'm not sure what your wife wants to do. With an ota module, I can access all 3 of the paired Hoppers sat tuners plus the ota tuner. The record 6 shows refers to PTAT. One tuner records the big 4 and the other 2 are available for other sat recordings.

I have 2H/3J set up. I can access either Hopper from any Joey for play back. I'm not sure what your wife wants to do. With an ota module, I can access all 3 of the paired Hoppers sat tuners plus the ota tuner. The record 6 shows refers to PTAT. One tuner records the big 4 and the other 2 are available for other sat recordings.
That is one of the problems. We dont have an OTA Module as getting OTA in our area is just about not existent without a tall tower. The other is that if there is a Joey hooked up to the Main Hopper while 2 things are recording only one person can watch something other than what is recorded or recording. This senerio happens way more than you think with all of the things we have recording. With the old system it would automatically push some of the programs to record later on the channels that have programs that repeat like Disc and Hist. which we watch a lot of the time. This new way is just that New so it is going to take some time to find an arrangement that give good balance to our recording/Watching habits.

The biggest problem she has is she feels she has been mislead by the advertisement. She interpreted the add to be you can record 6 things and watch TV something else in every room.

The only con with 3 Joeys on one hopper is if someone is trying to watch live TV from all Joeys and the hopper at the same time they cannot. I guess I don't see the point/benefit of a hopper with no joey.
I have 2H/3J and the one recommendation I would give is to put the hoppers in the least used rooms. That way where you view the most, using the joey you can always pair to the other hopper if you run into live tv conflicts. If you are on a hopper and all tuners are being used you are stuck and cannot view a different live program.

The only con with 3 Joeys on one hopper is if someone is trying to watch live TV from all Joeys and the hopper at the same time they cannot. I guess I don't see the point/benefit of a hopper with no joey.
I have 2H/3J and the one recommendation I would give is to put the hoppers in the least used rooms. That way where you view the most, using the joey you can always pair to the other hopper if you run into live tv conflicts. If you are on a hopper and all tuners are being used you are stuck and cannot view a different live program.
right now the Living room is the main room Hopper that one is used all the time and has multiple shows that overlap recording set up. Which is why I took all the joeys off of it.
The second Hopper is in a bedroom and only used late night and most nights not at all so 3 tuners should be open most of the time unless one of the 3 using a joey sets up a timer or records something. Of them 3 connected one is used very little one will be used alot and the other joey is not used at all during the day and a bit at night so 2 should always have a tuner to use 99% of the time.

There is really no right or wrong way to set up your equipment, it's just some ways work better than others in certain situations. I like to maximize my available tuners.

I set up PTAT on the hopper I use the least and I usually attach the Joey to that one. That leaves the hopper we use the most ( the HWS) with 3 free tuners plus OTA. Plus there are still 2 free satellite tuners on the first hopper. If we mostly watched all the network shows live I would set up PATA on the HWS instead.

If your Joey users mostly watch network shows I would attach at least 2 of the Joeys to the hopper with PATA. They can join any of the four network channels and not use any extra tuners. This is true any time of the day not just primetime.

In addition a Joey (or hopper) can access any recording in progress from any hopper that is recording without using a tuner, including a primetime network shows that may recording by using the DVR button.

How you set everything up depends entirely on how and what you mostly watch. The cool thing is you can easily change everything with a few keystrokes.

I would put the bulk of the timer recordings on the 2nd Hopper, and leave the 1st Hopper that your wife uses as free from timer recordings as possible, and don't pair more than 1 or 2 Joeys to the 1st Hopper your wife uses. In this situation, you should almost always have a free tuner at the 1st Hopper for your wife to watch live TV. When she wants to watch recordings or watch a program while it is recording, she can access the 2nd Hopper from her first Hopper for all or most of that. From the My Recordings screen is a drop-down menu from which you can watch content from the other Hopper, and this can also be done from ALL Joeys, regardless to which Hopper they are paired. I hope that made sense.

If they would ever get with the program with full integration, then it wouldn't matter which hopper you set your timers on, which hopper the joeys are linked to, and you'd have full load balancing of all your timers, tuners, and hard drive space.

If they would ever get with the program with full integration, then it wouldn't matter which hopper you set your timers on, which hopper the joeys are linked to, and you'd have full load balancing of all your timers, tuners, and hard drive space.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts