2 Hoppers see each other's recordings and Joey can as all

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Originally I understood that currently one Hopper can't see what is on the other Hopper, but it can. Also understood that when Joey is connected, it is linked to a Hopper, but I just tested my Joey and it can see and play the recording on both Hoppers.

I did notice that the Joey linked to Hopper 1, while it can see the recordings on Hopper 2, it can't see the recordings on the external drive attached to Hopper 2.

What am I confused on what is not possible yet but Dish is working on?
Thanks.

Originally I understood that currently one Hopper can't see what is on the other Hopper, but it can. Also understood that when Joey is connected, it is linked to a Hopper, but I just tested my Joey and it can see and play the recording on both Hoppers.

I did notice that the Joey linked to Hopper 1, while it can see the recordings on Hopper 2, it can't see the recordings on the external drive attached to Hopper 2.

What am I confused on what is not possible yet but Dish is working on?
Thanks.

I don't have a dual hopper setup, but I believe that the way it works is the Joey can see the recording on both hoppers, but it will only set recordings on the hopper it is linked to. So if Joey is linked to hopper 1 and all the tuners are in use, you can link it to hopper 2 and then control that one. I believe the EHD will work the same way.

What is not possible, and I'm not sure if Dish is working on it, is for two hoppers to work as one unit. Meaning that is Hopper 1's tuners are all in use, it will automatically realize that the tuners one Hopper 2 are free to use and it just works. You have to link the Joey to Hopper 2 to be able to use those tuners.

Many would like Hopper intergration to be where for example if you have two Hoppers you can access all the live tuners of the Hoppers Dont know if that's in plans, I have two hoppers one joey and it works out great for the intergration they currently have

Personally, I like Hopper the way it is, and frankly, I doubt that they'll ever implement "full integration."

The way it currently works is this :-

Hoppers can see each others' internal recordings, however cannot see EHD recordings on each other. Hoppers also cannot schedule timers between each other.

Joeys can see internal recordings on all Hoppers, regardless of which Hopper they are linked to. They can only see the EHD and schedule timers on the Hopper that they are currently linked to. Linking a Joey between Hoppers is (in my opinion) a trivial task.

Confused...on the Dish hopperjoey FAQ they say this;
If I have 2 Hoppers, will they communicate with each other?

Unfortunately, the 2 Hoppers won't communicate with each other to share programming. This is a feature DISH will make available soon.
It seems like they CAN share recordings, according to this thread.

I did read that I can access shows stored on a hard drive from another Dish DVR. So, before I get rid of my 722 can I attach an external hard drive to it and move the shows I want to keep to a folder on the new hard drive? Just wondering if the 722 let's you move/copy. I currently do not have an external hard drive as I haven't needed it.

Confused...on the Dish hopperjoey FAQ they say this;

It seems like they CAN share recordings, according to this thread.

I did read that I can access shows stored on a hard drive from another Dish DVR. So, before I get rid of my 722 can I attach an external hard drive to it and move the shows I want to keep to a folder on the new hard drive? Just wondering if the 722 let's you move/copy. I currently do not have an external hard drive as I haven't needed it.

Yep a software update about 8 months ago enabled that feature. That info is a tad out-of-date.

The 722 will move your shows for you. No way to copy, just move. The EHD from the 722 will be compatible with Hopper as long as you are on the same account.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Personally, I like Hopper the way it is, and frankly, I doubt that they'll ever implement "full integration."

The way it currently works is this :-

Hoppers can see each others' internal recordings, however cannot see EHD recordings on each other. Hoppers also cannot schedule timers between each other.

Joeys can see internal recordings on all Hoppers, regardless of which Hopper they are linked to. They can only see the EHD and schedule timers on the Hopper that they are currently linked to. Linking a Joey between Hoppers is (in my opinion) a trivial task.

Well Ok then, I'm trivially challenged. I don't seem to be able to set my Joey to one of my two hoppers, or change it to another one when I want. It just seems to randomly grab one, and sometimes links to both. Could someone summarize or point me to the step-by-step to link/unlink Joeys? Thanks. Overall I'm really glad I made the upgrade from a 622/722 to 2H/1J.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)