2 joeys with warning 981

reybie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hotrizona
I have 2 Joeys displaying the Boot Recovery screen with a Warning 981a. Sometimes it will go to a screen that says Wireless Access Point cannot be detected then it will try to connect and a few minutes later will go back to the Warning 981a screen.

I've seen a limited number of posts about this but what are the chances of 2 Joeys doing the same thing? I have a super joey in one room and that is still connected.

How long do I have to wait to see if this helps. Almost an hour after the reboot and the Joeys still displaying the same thing.

The 981 warning is still on the screen this morning. One is has Wireless Access Point cannot be detected and Ready to Scan at the bottom of the screen.

Yes. I will try it again shortly. I let it do its thing all last night thinking maybe the hopper needs to redownload info that the joeys needed to update.

Something must be wrong with my WAP or the connection to the Hopper. The Whole Home settings doesn't show the WAP as Linked. I've tried to reboot the WAP a few times but no go. The Wireless light on the WAP is not ON.

20150913_152743.jpg

Update. After a chat with a support rep over the weekend they sent me two replacement WJs. I received the two WJs today and plugged them in with excitement, it's been a month waiting! Anyways I thought I was in the clear because I see a different screen but I was wrong. The WJs kept trying to download software in step 2 of 6 but it never got past that. It kept going on like that, reboot, then try again until it finally rested on the dreaded Warning 981a screen. Both replacement WJs did this.

So, I went to the chat again and the rep I chatted with is sending me another 2 WJs. I asked if maybe it was something else that was the issue and she said no. So I will wait for 2 receivers again that I think will be of no help with my issue.

Has the Hopper been replaced at all? This is not a WJ issue at all, as quoted earlier. This has to do with corrupted memory and the receiver trying to repair what it can, but the Joeys are clients to the hopper, and that is where the issue would lie. Maybe old Joey software loaded on the hopper, or corrupted Joey software on the Hopper. Go to the hopper and press menu twice and read what the available Wireless Joey software is.

I will check the software version when I get home. I was going to try and reach out to a DIRT team last night but nobody was on.

Did you try connecting the WJ with an Ethernet cable to see if they would finish the download? Worth a try if you haven't.

I did, I saw that in a troubleshooting pdf. The good news is the tech swapped out my Hopper and the WJs were able to recover and boot back up properly. Maybe someone else will find this info useful in the future. Warning 981a.

Thanks to DIRT for the assistance.

I wish there was a way to export your Timers and import into the new Hopper.
There is, It called the System Wizard. Just hold the 0 button on the remote until the wizard come up then backup all your settings to the remote. Then do the same to restore to the new Hopper.

Holy crap, I should've asked/mentioned it before the replacement. I will check later, it is possible that the installer left the original remote.

Holy crap, I should've asked/mentioned it before the replacement. I will check later, it is possible that the installer left the original remote.
Depends. Some gobble them up, others don't give a......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)