2 locations for 5 months

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
I recently purchased a home that will serve as a summer home until my wife retires in August. After talking to a CSR today, I was assured that it would not be a problem to simply add a receiver for those 5 months to my present account. Since I will be using one of my existing TVs, there would be the same amount of receivers on the account (3) for the 5 month period. She indicated that if friends were using the second home, we would both have service. I have read conflicting reports on line and would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this experience. It will be very simple in September, when I just cancel service at my present address.

Technically you aren't supposed to have active receivers at more than one location, but I doubt Directv cares since it's the same family. I wouldn't worry about it.

I recently purchased a home that will serve as a summer home until my wife retires in August. After talking to a CSR today, I was assured that it would not be a problem to simply add a receiver for those 5 months to my present account. Since I will be using one of my existing TVs, there would be the same amount of receivers on the account (3) for the 5 month period. She indicated that if friends were using the second home, we would both have service. I have read conflicting reports on line and would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this experience. It will be very simple in September, when I just cancel service at my present address.
Order your new recvr, set it up and activate it at home ... take it with you to your new place, place the dish and connect the recvr and be done with it.

Fwiw, D* authorizes this kind of thing all the time ... I even called when my friends decided to put D* at thier cottage and D* said, No Problem.

The amount of time that both locations are being used at the same time is minimal ...
D* is not "Watching" that anyways.

Sometime it just depends on who you get that answers the phone. (and what country they may be in.)

D*no longer authorises this kind of thing.
First,if you add a receiver it will restart your contract commitments. DirecTV willtreat it as part of your homeinstallation.
When you move the recevier to your second home it will still be considered as at your current location. That means only your current locals. If you move out of your currentspotbeam youwould get no locals at all.
If you currently have a Genie HS17 you can't move a client to a different ko=cation, it just won't work. You will also have a problem if you have too many receivers for your current location.
Directv has historically turned a blind eye to temporary use of a receiver in a second location but you arenot supposed to watch programming in both locationssimultaaneously.

The best thing you can do here is follow Jimbo's advice, Get the extra receiver (assuming its a "real" one not a client), connect it to your home system and get it running. Take it to your second home and just connect it to the dish.
Don't call DirecTV about this. You will get embroiled in so many issues.

Separate house, separate account, especially if you have people watching Tv at the same time in both locations.

The only grey area is a cottage or summer home. Many customers will just leave a receiver there to use on the weekends.

Directv generally looks the other way because, this keeps customers from disconnecting and going with cable because they would need 2 accounts.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)