2 Satellites upgrade

eazyc10

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I had a couple questions regarding my dish setup.

I currently have a Superdish and a DP34

I have an HD 811, 311 and 625 dual tuner DVR

I recently finished my basement and have added two cable runs to where the entertainment system will be. I would like to replace the 625 with the 622 and replace the 311 with another 811. I was told to I would need a second dish (dish 500 I believe) to receive the rest of the HD channels (I'm still on the old HD package) and with this they would be replacing my switch with a DP44

My questions are:

- Does anyone have pictures of how their two satellites look? currently I have one that's pole mounted and I do not know where the second one would go? I'm guessing I would mount it on the roof but my wife has reservations of having two satellites.

- If I wanted to add a 4th receiver, would this be possible with my setup? I know I would need to purchase the receiver as I technically have 4 devices hooked up, but I want the ability to add another TV or two.

What are my limitations with a DP44? I do not mind paying for the extra receiver cost but do not want to be hindered on the ability to add tv's.

Also... You stated a SuperDish with a DP34, they will be adding a DPP44 to pick up another satellite or satellites.

Do you currently have a SuperDish 121, a SuperDish 105, or some other dish that you are calling a SuperDish?

If you don't know, we probably can still help.
- What City are you located in?
- What programming do you now get?
- - - Regular Programming
- - - Local Channels
- - - International or something else?

And you are going to add HD.

Without any additional info, I'm thinking you could possibly have a pole mount for a SuperDish 121, that they will replace that dish with a Dish 1000+; or maybe a Dish 500+ and then a Dish 500 for 61.5. But could be several possibilites.

You may also currently have a Dish 1000, that they will just add a second dish for something.

Also... You stated a SuperDish with a DP34, they will be adding a DPP44 to pick up another satellite or satellites.

Do you currently have a SuperDish 121, a SuperDish 105, or some other dish that you are calling a SuperDish?

If you don't know, we probably can still help.
- What City are you located in?
- What programming do you now get?
- - - Regular Programming
- - - Local Channels
- - - International or something else?

And you are going to add HD.

Without any additional info, I'm thinking you could possibly have a pole mount for a SuperDish 121, that they will replace that dish with a Dish 1000+; or maybe a Dish 500+ and then a Dish 500 for 61.5. But could be several possibilites.

You may also currently have a Dish 1000, that they will just add a second dish for something.

I'm at work so I'm not quite sure which super dish I have. I think it's a 121 though.

City - Madison, WI
Programming - America's top 120
Local Channels - yes
International channels - no

I'm positive it's a super dish, just not sure which model. It is pole mounted though.

Thanks for the replies

I suspect that Madison, WI locals use to be on 121 (or maybe 105) and were moved to Sat 110, TP-25, Spot-23, Channels 7280 - 7286. Therefore, you are no longer using one of the LNBF's on your SuperDish 121 (or SuperDish 105).

Although you will need a second dish, I don't think you will need 2 dishes, and you really won't need to replace the DP34 with a DPP44, unless you add a 4th receiver, since the 625 or 622 requires 2 cables when used with a DP34.

DPP44 gives you more options than a DP34. The DPP44 will allow you to feed a "dual tuner" receiver with a single cable when using a DPP Separator; instead of 2 cables as required with the DP34. It will also allow you to receive 4 satellite orbital locations; instead of only 3 with the DP34.

For Madison, WI Locals, Regular Programming AT-120/AT-150, and HD Programming, you will need to receive 119 & 110, plus either 129 or 61.5.

OPTIONS: Assuming Madison, WI can pick up 129 and 61.5; and not expected to get Local HD.

- Replace SuperDish 121 with a Dish 1000. Only if 4th receiver added, then replace DP34 with a DPP44.

- Add a Dish 500 pointed either at 61.5 or 129. Remove 121 feed, and replace with feed from Dish 500. Only if 4th receiver added, then replace DP34 with a DPP44.

- Replace the SuperDish with a Dish 1000.2. This will feed 3 receivers from 119/110/129. A wing dish could be added for another orbital location without an additional switch. More than 3 receivers would require a DPP44 switch. With or without the switch, this would be the most expensive setup.

- You could also replace the SuperDish 121 with a Dish 1000+, which will give you 4 orbital locations - 119/110/118.7/129; and would require a DPP44. However, I would not go this route unless you wanted certain international programming, or you knew that your Local HD would be on 118.7.

- The SuperDish 121 & 105 are the largest dishes from Dish. If the SuperDish Repoint Kit was out, this would be the way to go. It should give you the strongest signals on 119/110/118.7/129.

EDIT:
I think the first option is the way to go.

Last edited: