Cost to upgrade from Hopper1 or 2 to Hopper 3

blatimer1983

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Mississippi
How much does it normally cost a customer to upgrade to Hopper 3? I have upgraded to Hopper 3 in 2017 but Dish charged me $100 to upgrade probably because I had DPP LNBF lol.

If Dish Hybrid is already installed prior upgrading to Hopper 3 can a customer choose to self upgrade to Hopper 3 or does it require a technician visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dweber
I'm a brand new customer. The sales rep failed to tell me that I could have the top line receiver for just $5 more per month. In fact there wasn't even a discussion about receivers. The day after the installation I called to upgrade to the Hopper 3. They wanted $150 and a doubling of the 2 year contract. I declined. I thought I had escaped this sort of thing by leaving DirecTV. The TV service is fine but the support call center is just short of useless. So here I am. :)

FMW, for the most part its a chart that tells the sales rep what equip you get. So based on the conversation it will determine what they do by default.

As far as after the fact, the contract doesn't double. You only ever have whatever the highest ETF remaining on your account. So you would have a new commit that is essentially a day longer.

The cost is something that again is by "default" and can be tied to credit rating. You can sometimes get that waived though. The $5/mo more is only if you are currently in a Hopper Duo, all other hoppers are the same price per month.

I'm a brand new customer. The sales rep failed to tell me that I could have the top line receiver for just $5 more per month. In fact there wasn't even a discussion about receivers. The day after the installation I called to upgrade to the Hopper 3. They wanted $150 and a doubling of the 2 year contract. I declined. I thought I had escaped this sort of thing by leaving DirecTV. The TV service is fine but the support call center is just short of useless. So here I am. :)
They don't double contracts, it just starts a new two tear contract. So if you've only had it for a few days it really doesn't matter. I'd call them back and threaten to cancel and they will waive the $150.

My upgrade from the Hopper to the Hopper 3 didn't cost me anything. When, I was thinking about adding the Hopper Plus, there was a one time fee for 50.00, but no mention of adding any Joey 4s. The Tech that day, said that in order for the Hopper Plus to work, that I would need to get another Hopper 3. I am not sure why, but I also remember, that he said, that if I wanted to keep the Hopper 3 that I had all of my recordings on, that he could try a Jump Drive on the Hopper 3 that I already have. If I would have went with the Hopper Plus, and would have given up my old Hopper 3 for a New one, would I have been charged for that one on my new Billing Cycle?? Who Knows. I said No. If I would have switched to a new Hopper 3, I know that I could have transferred my recordings, and I should have at least tried the Jump Drive, but I am OK with my Decision to keep the Hopper 3, that I have with me currently. You will like the Hopper 3. My wife and I like it a lot, and you will be very happy with it.
If you been with then long enough and talk to right people best bet loyalty number/Department you can get them for free it how i got all my upgrades HWS,H3, Joeys etc

Reactions: charlesrshell
My upgrade from the Hopper to the Hopper 3 didn't cost me anything. When, I was thinking about adding the Hopper Plus, there was a one time fee for 50.00, but no mention of adding any Joey 4s. The Tech that day, said that in order for the Hopper Plus to work, that I would need to get another Hopper 3. I am not sure why, but I also remember, that he said, that if I wanted to keep the Hopper 3 that I had all of my recordings on, that he could try a Jump Drive on the Hopper 3 that I already have. If I would have went with the Hopper Plus, and would have given up my old Hopper 3 for a New one, would I have been charged for that one on my new Billing Cycle?? Who Knows. I said No. If I would have switched to a new Hopper 3, I know that I could have transferred my recordings, and I should have at least tried the Jump Drive, but I am OK with my Decision to keep the Hopper 3, that I have with me currently. You will like the Hopper 3. My wife and I like it a lot, and you will be very happy with it.
I am little confused you had h3 and the tech told you need another h3 for hplus to work? Or you had hopper/hopper with sling and they told you need h3, as far as i aware you dont need 2 h3 for h plus to work, last i checked they wont allow hopper plus on 2 h3 setup. Though that might of changed since i tried

Either that tech is an idiot or didn't want to do it. You definitely don't need a new h3. You can use the one you have with no problems. Also we don't use jump drives to transfer recordings. Either you need to have them on an external drive already or we can connect both old and new hopper together with ethernet and transfer that way, which can take 1-2 full days, so we would leave old one there and call in a return shipping box to be sent to your house.

Either that tech is an idiot or didn't want to do it. You definitely don't need a new h3. You can use the one you have with no problems. Also we don't use jump drives to transfer recordings. Either you need to have them on an external drive already or we can connect both old and new hopper together with ethernet and transfer that way, which can take 1-2 full days, so we would leave old one there and call in a return shipping box to be sent to your house.
I kind of wondered if he didn't want to do it, either. The Jump drive was to see if the Hopper Plus would work with the Hopper 3 that I already had. Prior to the Jump Drive, the tech hooked the Plus up to the Hopper 3, but he said it was not loading or installing the way it should be. In my experience with techs with Dish, I have had some Good ones, but I have also had some really poor ones. The one with the Hopper Plus, was not one that I would rate as a Good One. If I would want anything else installed with Dish, I would hope to get another tech, not that one.

I kind of wondered if he didn't want to do it, either. The Jump drive was to see if the Hopper Plus would work with the Hopper 3 that I already had. Prior to the Jump Drive, the tech hooked the Plus up to the Hopper 3, but he said it was not loading or installing the way it should be. In my experience with techs with Dish, I have had some Good ones, but I have also had some really poor ones. The one with the Hopper Plus, was not one that I would rate as a Good One. If I would want anything else installed with Dish, I would hope to get another tech, not that one.
Seeing where you're from, that was/is one of our techs from the southern side of the office I co-manage :(
If I had your #, I could find out which tech it was and if he even still works here

I'm a brand new customer.
Welcome to Dish and Sat Guys.
The sales rep failed to tell me that I could have the top line receiver for just $5 more per month.
Not surprising.
Sales reps on phone are clueless imo.
In fact there wasn't even a discussion about receivers.
Fact
The day after the installation I called to upgrade to the Hopper 3. They wanted $150 and a doubling of the 2 year contract.
It's all about the $$$.
I declined. I thought I had escaped this sort of thing by leaving DirecTV. The TV service is fine but the support call center is just short of useless. So here I am. :)
Welcome to the Club.

The grass is the same color, on both sides of the fence, as seen, unfortunately.

lol

1686654914711.png