2 TV's off one receiver

slitchford88

Original poster
May 30, 2006
Need similar help with this type of issue...

I'm like twigthemig and need the "satellite hook up for dummies guide". :)
I'm trying to do the same thing but I have no IDEA where to begin.

I have attached a .jpg diagramming my current installation of Dish Network cables in the attic. Heck, I'm not even sure the entire thing is set up correctly as I tried to do this once before with no luck. :)

I'm trying to use the Bedroom #1 receiver to feed the Guest Room TV as the rooms are side by side.

Can anyone help me with what I need to purchase and then how I should hook it all up?

I have two large cables coming from the Dish (each cable splits as you'll see on the diagram). I also have 4 receivers.

please help...I have guests coming THIS Weekend and would like to set this up Friday afternoon/evening.

Thanks so much!!!

sl

Attachments

• satellitehookup.jpg
    satellitehookup.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 589
You cannot use a splitter on satellite cables. The cables do not carry all channels all the time, like old style cable. You may need a DP34 switch or some other setup. This depends upon the number of satellites you are receiving. Then you can have 1 or 2 cables to each receiver. And which receivers do you have?

I actually went to radioshack to make sure the current hookup was correct and they relayed what you said garys...but, when I came home and did this it still doesn't work (I even tried a different TV to make sure it wasn't the older tv I have in the Guest room).

I used a splitter and hooked the satellite cable into the in/out port, hooked bedroom #1 cable to the satellite port, and then hooked the guest room cable into the VHF/UHF...and still nothing but snow.

any other suggestions? The guy at RadioShack mentioned an amplifier, but a previous TV worked in the guest room (until the TV went out).

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
sl

OK, so you want to use Bedroom #1 to show on Guest Room.

What receiver do you have in Bedroom #1? Single or Dual Tuner?

Here is a diagram for a dual tuner:

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample2.pdf

If you have a single tuner, then you will need to split the output of the receiver to the TV in the Bedroom #1 and to the Guest Room. To get the Satellite signal to Bedroom #1 and the Output to the Guest Room you will need diplexers.

Tell us what receiver you have and I can elaborate more.

slitchford88 said:
I actually went to radioshack to make sure the current hookup was correct and they relayed what you said garys...but, when I came home and did this it still doesn't work (I even tried a different TV to make sure it wasn't the older tv I have in the Guest room).

You may need to tune the guest bedroom receiver to a different channel number. What receiver model are you talking about? Older models with have a 3/4 switch on the back of the receiver or see if there is a Modulated setup screen under the install menu.

Thanks for the messages garys and randalla. My receiver in Bedroom #1 is a DishPro 301. I'm assuming it's a single tuner as my setup in the attic does not look like the diagram you posted.

Will the guys at Radio Shack know what I need if I show them RandallA's comment above? Better yet, hopefully once I get the stuff I know what to do...I'm a technosavaunt. :-(

Thanks so much
sl

Single tuner, OK.

You need to split the RF output to the TV in Bedroom #1 and Guest Room.

Easiest way to do it if the TV in Bedroom #1 has composite is to run composite to the TV in Bedroom #1. The RF output then goes to the Guest Room. If you don't have composite in Bedroom #1, then you split the RF output with a splitter.

How do you run the Satellite signal and the RF output to Guest Room? Simple, use a diplexer at the attic and one at the 301 receiver.

I just made this drawing for you:

I forgot to add the label for the satellite signals (red lines)

Attachments

• Helping Slitchford.jpg
    Helping Slitchford.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,640
This is awesome...I'm heading out to Radio Shack now! :)
I really appreciate it...could NEVER have done this without your expertise.

Thanks so much...I'll let you know when I succeed :)
sl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)