2 Weeks and I'm done with Voom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidd Supreme

Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
I am sorry to say that I am no longer a VOOM customer. But before you ask why, please read the email I received from VOOM below:

March 26, 2004

Dear ***** ******:

Thank you for joining VOOM's world of HD! We hope you have enjoyed your free programming preview. As you may recall from earlier communications, the preview expires on March 31st. With that date quickly approaching, you have the opportunity to select your free PlusPack or opt for the best HD value with our Va Va VOOM package.

Va Va VOOM
Our ultimate programming package, Va Va VOOM, is also the ultimate value. At only $79.90/month, you'll see the most high definition programming anywhere. Va Va VOOM has over 100 channels, including the best cable has to offer, the VOOM Exclusives and all four PlusPacks (HBOsm, SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®, STARZ® and Cinemaxsm)

Or

VOOM
Our VOOM Package is just $39.90/month, and includes the VOOM Exclusives, 50 of cable's most watched channels and 18 digital music channels. As a charter customer if you select this package, you will receive the free PlusPack of your choice. Then each additional PlusPacks is only $14.90/month. PlusPacks feature your favorite premium channels in SD and HD.

The current VOOM channel lineup is included as well as a brief description of each PlusPack (scroll down for channel lineup).

Please call us at 800-GET-VOOM and press 0 to speak to a customer care professional who can discuss your account with you. You can also reach us via email at CustomerSupport@voom.com.

Thank you for your interest in VOOM.

John McKee
Senior Vice President, Customer Operations

Channel Lineup
HD channels in Bold

100 HD News 227 Action Max 501 Bravo HD
101 HD Cinema10 228 Thriller Max 503 Travel
102 HD Cinema10 229 @ Max 504 WE
103 HD Cinema10 241 Showtime HD E 505 TBS
104 HD Cinema10 242 Showtime HD W 506 TNT
105 HD Cinema10 243 Showtime E 507 FX
106 HD Cinema10 244 Showtime Too E 508 TV Land
107 HD Cinema10 245 Showtime Next E 509 Comedy Central
108 HD Cinema10 246 Showtime Extreme E 510 A&E
109 HD Cinema10 248 Showtime Family E 511 Biography
110 HD Cinema10 251 TMC HD 512 BET
121 Monsters 252 TMC E 513 E!
122 Epics 261 Starz! E HD 514 style.
123 WorldSport 262 Starz! W HD 515 SoapNet
124 Rush 263 Starz! E 516 Oxygen
125 Rave 264 Starz! Family E 517 Game Show Network
126 Ultra 265 Encore E 519 Court TV
127 Treasure 266 Encore Love Stories E 520 Spike
128 Gallery 267 Encore Mystery E 601 Discovery HD
129 MOOV 268 Encore Action 602 Discovery
130 Animania 271 Encore E HD 603 TLC
201 HBO E HD 285 AMC 604 Animal Planet
202 HBO W HD 286 IFC 605 Discovery Health
203 HBO East 287 TCM 606 Cartoon
204 HBO West 312 NFL Network SD 607 Boomerang
205 HBO 2 East 323 Fox Sports World 608 Disney Channel
206 HBO 2 West 324 Speed 609 Toon Disney
207 HBO Signature 325 Fuel 610 ABC Family
208 HBO Comedy 327 Tennis Channel 611 Nickelodeon
209 HBO Family 328 Outdoor Life 612 Hallmark
221 Cinemax E HD 402 CNN 613 History
222 Cinemax W HD 403 Headline News 701 Playboy HD*
223 Cinemax East 404 CNNfn 802 Fuse
224 Cinemax West 405 C-SPAN 803 MTV
225 More Max East 406 C-SPAN 2 804 VH1
226 More Max West 408 The Weather Channel 999 Barker

PlusPacks:
HBOsm - 7 Standard definition channels, 2 High definition channels
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED® - 6 Standard definition channels, 3 High definition channels
STARZ!®/Encore - 6 Standard definition channels, 3 High definition channels
Cinemaxsm - 7 Standard definition channels, 2 High definition channels

*Subscription service offered at $14.90/month, launching 3/29/04

The VOOM and HDTV Delivered names and logos are service marks of Rainbow DBS Company LLC. Other trademarks and service marks shown are the property of their respective owners. © 2004 Rainbow DBS Company LLC. All rights reserved.
***END of EMAIL***

So I call the customer service to request my free Pluspack. The lady on the other end comes back with I'm not a charter member. I'm asking if I'm not a charter member then why did I receive this email in the first place. She just kept saying I wasn't a charter member. I asked to speak to her manager. The manager said the same thing. Said that email was sent to me by mistake. I told him that's BS. Said there was nothing he could do about it. I said there was. Cancelling my VOOM service. Told him to come out and take everything with him. So my cancel date is set to April 9th 2004. Instead of VOOM owning up to their mistake and giving me my free Pluspack, they instead chose to give me some lousy customer service. For what it was worth, I did enjoy the programming, but there is no way I am going to deal with a company who wants to write off situations like these as mistakes. I'll take my chances with D* or the cable company.

Again, it was great talking to you guys/gals and feeling like I was part of the community. Thanks again for all your help. I hope my story can help you avoid a similar fate.

-Kidd Supreme

To be completely honest with you... I think you did the right thing. There may even be some legal issues with them not owning up to a current advertisement. I am going to speak to VOOM Corporate monday morning and see exactly what it is they plan to do about this. Chances are, this mistake may cost them more customers and I dont think thats something they want. They may end up having to own up to this mistake. I'm optimistic.

I'm no lawyer and I have not received the email... but if I walk into a store and I see something marked with a specific price... I am NEVER going to pay more than what the "marked" price is, regardless of their claim of it being a mistake.

Mr. Biggles said:
Wait a second. Are you a charter member or not? If your not, your not.

Agree.

Remember Charter member is not just a title. It was an experience for a lot of us that went through the first few months with headaches and pain and we put $749 in our credit cards to get the equipment. In my case $749 + $199. $$$ which is VOOM's account and it's not my account at this point but I have the option to put in my account if I decide to so.

So again, if you are not a charter member why the gripe?

I honestly dont think its a matter of who's a charter member or not... I mean, to even classify members by a term like that is a bit odd to me. And in my ever so humble opinion.....a Customer is a Customer.

I think the real issue that Kidd Supreme was speaking on was how they chose to handle the MISTAKE that was made on their part.

Just incase you guys have forgotten, to send out an email to a customer and advertise an offer without specifying the eligibility requirements IN THE EMAIL... just to deny the customer the offer because of an inhouse error... is bad business module... and i think its a bit misleading.

I dont wanna be unfair or take anything away from you "early adopters", which is the term that they SHOULD be using, but its bad practice.

When I was dealing with INSTALLS INC... everytime they made an error, they tried to get me to overlook it and sweep it under the rug. Its kinda like a trend with these companies in some respects.

YES, the early adopters who put that $749 on their Credit Card should be given some sort of concilation. But its not good business to make an error that big and not own up to it in some way shape form or fashion. Its a bit too early for VOOM to display that sort of arrogance. :rolleyes:

I can see it now... members will be running around showing prejudice based on who OWNS and WHO LEASES. Kinda reminiscent of everything else in America...lol... "Oh wait... I'm better than you are.... shut up you LEASER!!!" .... Oh Lord... :no

I am a new subscriber who paid nothing down. Tonight I received the same email about the free plus pack. Knew it was a mistake right away, that I really didn't qualify as a charter member, so I just ignored it. You guys seem pretty greedy attempting to capitalize on a minor mistake. The new leasing deal is plenty good enough.

Edited for grammar only.

grumpy1 said:
I am a new subscriber who paid nothing down. Tonight I received the same email about the free plus pack. Knew it was a mistake right away, that I really didn't qualify as a charter member, so I just ignored it. You guys seem pretty greedy attempting capitalize on a minor mistake. The new leasing deal is plenty good enough.
well I never received the email and even If I did i wouldnt need the channels.... I haven't called VOOM about any enhancements as I am pretty fine with what I have.

I dont think its fair to call names or say demeaning things about people's character either. As adults we should be able to discuss this without resorting to insults.

In my post I was just attempting to shed some light on what the original poster had mentioned. I can see the bashing about to occur... have fun.

grumpy1 said:
I am a new subscriber who paid nothing down. Tonight I received the same email about the free plus pack. Knew it was a mistake right away, that I really didn't qualify as a charter member, so I just ignored it. You guys seem pretty greedy attempting capitalize on a minor mistake. The new leasing deal is plenty good enough.

Agree I also got this email and new it was not for me..

Understood about the mistake they did by sending the email to the incorrect person. But the attitude of any early adopter (or charter member) is far from a feeling of superiority because I paid $750. No some of us are going back to the lease program because it makes no sense to spend this much money. We did not ask for this. To me the whole thing is just plain silly.

I bought a piece of furniture sometime ago and was charged on my credit card for one and two pieces of the same model came. The company called me and said "Sir. We made a mistake and sent you the merchandise twice". I said fine come and pick it up. Should have taken advantage and said wait a minute it was your mistake and I am going to keep the other piece of furniture. Why do that when I only paid for one?

tattootearz said:
I honestly dont think its a matter of who's a charter member or not... I mean, to even classify members by a term like that is a bit odd to me. And in my ever so humble opinion.....a Customer is a Customer.

You should spend a bit of time to educate yourself what a "Charter Member" is. It's obvious you are unaware.

The original poster of this thread apparently isn't a Charter member and knew darn well he wasn't entitled to any free programming. For some odd reason he fealt that since he inadverantly got an e-mail not intended for him he was entitled to something he isn't entitled to.

Its not a matter of trying to get something for nothing. My issue with VOOM is they didn't own up to the mistake they made. If I wasn't a charter member, why did they send me the email in the first place? It reminds me of the time I got a new car. It had a price listed on it of 16,000 when it was actually suppose to be 19,000. Do you think I paid 19k for it? No way, the dealership owned up to the mistake they made and gave me the price it was advertised for. Same thing here. If a company makes a mistake I would expect them to admit the mistake and keep the promise. VOOM didn't do that. Telling me it was just a mistake and that's tough doesn't cut it. You let companies start to do things like that to you, and you're giving them free reign to do it anytime they feel like it. I love the service, don't get me wrong. If they keep having subscribers like you guys, they can't help but succeed. But I can't let a company get away with something like this and not let them know how I feel. If me cancelling helps them rethink how they send out emails and notices, and makes sure no one else has to go through what I did, then it hasn't been in vain. It would have some purpose, and I can live with that.

Kidd Supreme said:
Its not a matter of trying to get something for nothing. My issue with VOOM is they didn't own up to the mistake they made. If I wasn't a charter member, why did they send me the email in the first place? It reminds me of the time I got a new car. It had a price listed on it of 16,000 when it was actually suppose to be 19,000. Do you think I paid 19k for it? No way, the dealership owned up to the mistake they made and gave me the price it was advertised for. Same thing here. If a company makes a mistake I would expect them to admit the mistake and keep the promise. VOOM didn't do that. Telling me it was just a mistake and that's tough doesn't cut it. You let companies start to do things like that to you, and you're giving them free reign to do it anytime they feel like it. I love the service, don't get me wrong. If they keep having subscribers like you guys, they can't help but succeed. But I can't let a company get away with something like this and not let them know how I feel. If me cancelling helps them rethink how they send out emails and notices, and makes sure no one else has to go through what I did, then it hasn't been in vain. It would have some purpose, and I can live with that.
Amen!

Sean Mota said:
Understood about the mistake they did by sending the email to the incorrect person. But the attitude of any early adopter (or charter member) is far from a feeling of superiority because I paid $750. No some of us are going back to the lease program because it makes no sense to spend this much money. We did not ask for this. To me the whole thing is just plain silly.

I bought a piece of furniture sometime ago and was charged on my credit card for one and two pieces of the same model came. The company called me and said "Sir. We made a mistake and sent you the merchandise twice". I said fine come and pick it up. Should have taken advantage and said wait a minute it was your mistake and I am going to keep the other piece of furniture. Why do that when I only paid for one?
I agree with that MOTA... Its a morality issues. I would not take something that I KNOW I am not entitled to. (except if I found a bag of Gold Bullion in a dark alley with no witnesses...lol)... truthfully though, that does make sense. I just think VOOM should have tried to make some sort of effort to keep the Customer. I would not recommend they give him the offer though if it is THAT apparent in the Email who it is and is NOT intended for.

The Moderators allow people to be pretty harsh here....oh well...

My opinion is this... buying the equipment was NOT a smart idea. Because after 60 days when you have realized that VOOM is not for you... guess what? you're out of $400 or $300 or whatever it was you paid.

On another note... VOOM has a little over 1,600 Subscribers....D* has millions of subscribers.... D* will damn near bend over in 50 millions directions b4 they let a customer just leave. Now we are talking about a company with Millions of sibscribers.

You guys blew Kidd Supreme's post way into left field because of what YOU paid for the service. Remember, most of you paid for the equipment because there were NO OTHER options at the time.

I will post no more about this because its grown into something a bit childish. However, I will just end on the note that I understand the decision that Kidd Supreme made... and although I may not have made the same decision... I respect his decision. Point Blank...VOOM was wrong. :D

Night fellas. :smug

Kidd Supreme said:
Its not a matter of trying to get something for nothing.

Sure it was. I was thinking the same thing when I got my e-mail.

When you got to this point in the e-mail when it said "We hope you have enjoyed your free programming preview" you knew it didn't apply to you. Just like I knew it didn't apply to me.

Mr. Biggles said:
Sure it was. I was thinking the same thing when I got my e-mail.

When you got to this point in the e-mail when it said "We hope you have enjoyed your free programming preview" you knew it didn't apply to you. Just like I knew it didn't apply to me.

Well I'm sorry you see it like Mr. Biggles, but when I got the email and read through it, I honestly thought it did apply to me. But that doesn't matter now anyways. Like I said before, not trying to make this a flamefest. I'm just letting you know what happened in my particular situation. If you guys like calling me names or whatnot, that's your buisness. I don't like accusing people of things or calling them names. I was brought up to try and be respectful of everyone's thoughts and ideas. I'm just sorry that some members here don't follow the same credo I do.

-KS

I have been given wrong information by alot of companies, I wouldn't cancel if your pleased with the quality of the service. You could be with D* and be given incorrect info and it be tuff luck because your locked into a contract. Besides a lot of times when you call back you might get a totally different answer than the original. I understand your frusteration of getting your hopes up about getting the plus pack but is a simple mistake really worth giving up all that HD programming? You know your not hurting them by leaving.

Out of 1600+ subscribers, VOOM should know who are charter members and who are not. At that number, they could hire a Kelly Girl to send out the emails to the correct person. It's a new company with all the screwed up things that go along with it.

I was a charter member, I paid $800 and realized I was crazy for paying that much. Especially with very few real HD shows at that time, unless you like watching guys surfing and snowboarding.. b-b-b-boooring. :) So, I knee-jerked and cancelled within 24 hours.

I got my money back, forfeited my charter status and now am waiting patiently as VOOM adds real HD content and offers a state of the art DVR.

Not everyone understands all this "charter" stuff. If you are paying for a service, you are a customer. For some reason VOOM charter members think that you need to kneel down at VOOM's feet and support and worship them. They are a company owned by a huge corporation that in the end only care about the bottom line and how it affects thier investors.

Sorry...but this is really silly. And no...please don't think for a minute that you're somehow "teaching them a lesson" by not letting the company get away with something. From a business point of view, they more than likely saved money by accepting your cancellation, over giving you the free programming pack.

They made a mistake, you tried to take advantage of that, and it didn't work out for you. I don't see any glaring indictment of the company in any of that. There was nothing sneaky or underhanded here, no "bait and switch", etc. It was a mistake on their part, plain and simple. They're a startup...mistakes happen.

Good luck with D* or whomever you go with...you'll more than likely be more comfortable locked in to that 1-2yr contract, and having fun fighting the waiver battle.

Good luck,

Lob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts