$20 for HD is nuts

That doesn't mean I find it acceptable. That's still way too much money for TV. The things we accept in this day and age amaze me. But, then, I don't own a cell phone, so you see where I come from.

I'm pondering an OTA at the moment. Not sure what to do yet, but I'm pondering it. I would cut out the $5 for locals if I did that.

I think you're missing the several rate hikes that cable has given over the last 2 years.

If you cut out the 5$ for locals you won't get guide data for your OTAs in your Dish Box (It'll just say Digital Service), so you will have to weigh that out.

Last edited:
I don't know what anyone else thought, but I couldn't believe the incredible picture quality this week for college basketball coverage on ESPN-HD. :up

Just wait for them to figure out SMELL-A-Vision.
Basketball games would be / are AWFUL, now; just
imagine in Smell-a-vision? Wonder what fee they'd
charge to bring that SCENT into your home? Let's
see, HD is $20 a month....

I don't watch basketball; it's pathetic the way they
are treated as, "gawds". Get free meals in college;
while medical students starve. Something terribly
wrong in this country; priorities are twisted. Seems
sports are given far to much attention. No wonder
everyone is switching to the Euro in international
trade. We are becoming a nation of MORONS!

Would never do ppv for sports; in fact never do
ppv. Not even when they send out free coupons
for it. I'd rather block out the sports channels,
entirely (should get a lowered rate; to.)

Yep.. A lot of people forget the Voom channels though because they're disliked. I view it as more content, even if most of the time there isn't much on them I'm interested in.

Hey all,

I've been trying to decide about dishin up to a 622 or 722, but I just can't pull the trigger...even after the wife approved it. :eek: I just can not justify $20 extra to a bill that is damn near $70 now, just for HD. Most of the HD I watch is OTA any way, and from reading the threads the Dish HD is not all that great of a picture . Dish , and Direct, should just toss in HD to the reg packages. They are not being charged any more for the HD versions of channels that they carry in SD. I could see maybe $10 bones but $20 is just nuts.

Bahhh, I just had to rant.

Later
JimC

I was told when I signed a lease that I would get ALL HD chs. IF I had a sub. to those chs. Well, now after I signed an 18 mo. lease the story is I WON'T get sh*t except for HBO's HD feed. What a f-ing ripoff!!! I pay for the top 250 chs. & HBO & starting next mo. I'll have to pay an xtra $20 bucks.

Does anyone know if I can get a break from CEO? I would appreciate all feedback regarding this issue. Quite frankly, I thnk most of Dish's HD chs. SUCK & aren't worth 10 cents. I am very unhappy with tis F-U fee!!!!!!:mad:

Quite frankly, I thnk most of Dish's HD chs. SUCK & aren't worth 10 cents.

Well, consider yourself lucky, because if you think they suck, you won't have to pay the $20.00 fee to subscribe to them.

Also, you've been around here since 2005, and you didn't realize how it works with DISH HD?

The $20 was a bargain when dish had twice as many HD channels as anyone else, and the value has not gone down.

The competition has just gotten stiffer.

Right now there is downward pressure on Dish's HD price and upwardpressure on DirecTV's price.

We'll see who blinks.

Well my Dish contract is coming to an end and here's my delema. I already pay $20 for the HD package but guess what..I want Versus channel which I undersatnd to get I will have to upgrade my basic package to the 250 channel package...another $10. I watch maybe 10 channel max and I don't want another 49 channels that I will not watch just to get one.

I wish we could order and pay for just the channels we want, not 240 we don't need.

I take it Versus isn't a channel you can get AlaCarte? I know Dish does allow you to do that for some channels, but I think it's mostly international ones.

CBand does individual channels, can get like FoxNews for 15$ a year I think, other channels have a similar pay plan. If they can do it, I don't see why Dish Network couldn't offer something like that, even if they required people to own their hardware and pay a minor install fee (or self install).

I do understand about package rules with some content folks, but doesn't seem to stop C Band. besides, they could just sell those packages as the package of 10 channels or whatever then.

Well, consider yourself lucky, because if you think they suck, you won't have to pay the $20.00 fee to subscribe to them.

Also, you've been around here since 2005, and you didn't realize how it works with DISH HD?

OK, 1) I bought my 1st HD TV 4 mos. ago & didn't care about HD chs. 2) I had Dish for 2 yrs. with a SD TV/DVR so how would I know about the $20 HD fee?? 3) Honestly, the ONLY HD ch. I want other than HBO is Nat-Geo. 4) What's the point of buying a top of the line Sony XBR TV if I can't get any HD chs.?? 5) If yu read my post you would have understood that I was very MISLEAD by Dish over this HD business. Yes, I fully expected to get the chs. in HD that I pay for each month. The scumbag rep LIED to me.

I have far better places to put my hard earned $$$ than throwing away $20/mo. for a sorry bunch of HD chs. I don't see what's so great with Dish's HD lineup. I'm NOT into sports. There are many days when I can't find anything worth watching on HBO.

Hollywood says the pirates are screwing them. I say we all are getting the shaft by those greedy SOB's, Dish, & Cable. Where do they get off charging BS fees like the $20 we're talking about? I think they're WAY OUT OF LINE just like the slimey oil cos. & the arabs with their crummy oil.

I am a flexible person in many ways, but NOT about the $20 HD fee. :mad:

Well my Dish contract is coming to an end and here's my delema. I already pay $20 for the HD package but guess what..I want Versus channel which I undersatnd to get I will have to upgrade my basic package to the 250 channel package...another $10. I watch maybe 10 channel max and I don't want another 49 channels that I will not watch just to get one.

I wish we could order and pay for just the channels we want, not 240 we don't need.

You think exactly like I do. I only watch about 10-15 chs. counting HBO with the 250 pkg. I had C band for years & you could pick and choose single chs. It was also a lot cheaper than cable or dish.

I have the top 250 also. I watch prob 20 channels max. Five of those are locals that I watch OTA HD, so maybe 15 dish channels. If I could get the top 200 with Nat Geo I would do that but of course that is prob the #1 reason anyone even subs to the 250. I spoke with the local cable engineer and in about 8 months I'll have fiber to the door. So long Dish. I'll have local HD, and a decent amount of national HD, with a dvr and vod. $70 a month. Still not pocket change for TV, but a better deal than anything Dish has to offer.

On a side note, though I've never seen a Voom program I have l also never seen a program I would want to watch on Voom. Hey Dish, if your listening, give us the channels we sub to in HD, or charge maybe $10, then make the crappy Voom channels another $10...I'll be willing to bet 90% of the HD subs would drop Voom like a hot rock.

Later
JimC

Burger King put cheese on my double cheese burger, and then they charged me $1.29 instead of $0.99. I don't even like cheese. I just want a MacDonalds Hamburger, WITHOUT CHEESE. I bet a lot of other people would get it without cheese too!

Hey Burger King! Stop putting cheese on the double cheese burger and give us a MacDonalds Hamburger!

:ROLLEYES:

wow i will never go back to cable they are really behind the game for hd maybe right now they can cram a couple channels on bacuse cables getting scared they focused on the triple play cable- phone- internet- and not hd not near as much as D* and E* did. this is from an investor newspaper

High-Def Programming Challenges Cable Firms (Investor’s Business Daily)
You want high-definition television programming. Can your local cable company deliver it?
That's a question some experts are asking as bandwidth-hungry services such as high-speed Web access, Internet telephone and high-definition programming strain an aging cable TV infrastructure.
"The quick rise in demand for HD services certainly caught the cable companies by surprise," said Alan Breznick, an analyst for market research firm Heavy Reading. As a result, cable customers in some areas will have fewer high-definition channels than their neighbors using satellite or TV services from their local phone company

Burger King put cheese on my double cheese burger, and then they charged me $1.29 instead of $0.99. I don't even like cheese. I just want a MacDonalds Hamburger, WITHOUT CHEESE. I bet a lot of other people would get it without cheese too!

Hey Burger King! Stop putting cheese on the double cheese burger and give us a MacDonalds Hamburger!

:rolleyes:
NAILED IT ON THE HEAD hahaha i read that and couldnt quit laughing:clap

Perhaps you need to go back to analogy school. Let's try this.

Burger King offers me cheese on my burger but only double cheese and they charge me $2.00 for it. I really only want one slice of cheese but they only offer me the double slice or nothing. I and other customers might buy the cheese burger with the one slice for $1.00, but since they don't offer it I just buy a regular burger. The[SIZE=-1] McDonald's down the street will sell me what I want a burger with one slice of cheese, and it's cheaper than the plain burger at Burger King.

Turn off your Dish and go read a book, looks like it would do you a world of good.

[/SIZE]

There will be a $2.00 cheese removal fee :)

Cable cannot charge extra for HD channels that you already receive in SD. It's a regulation of some sort.

What they can do is charge more for the HD receiver than the SD one. In my case, it's $1.20 more each month.

COMCAST (formerly Adelphia) cable in Sykesville MD charges about $8 for about a dozen HD channels. They said nothing about it being for the box. Moot point, what they charge it for- you're gonna pay or do without. They say they don't have cable cards, but I don't think they can really do that, either.

Expensive per HD channel, compared to all we get from Dish for $20.

BTW, gasoline was originally considered a by product in the production of kerosene, which is very similar to diesel. Pretty much interchangeable, in fact.

There will be a $2.00 cheese removal fee :)
:haha:haha:haha

Perhaps you need to go back to analogy school. Let's try this.

Burger King offers me cheese on my burger but only double cheese and they charge me $2.00 for it. I really only want one slice of cheese but they only offer me the double slice or nothing. I and other customers might buy the cheese burger with the one slice for $1.00, but since they don't offer it I just buy a regular burger. The[SIZE=-1] McDonald's down the street will sell me what I want a burger with one slice of cheese, and it's cheaper than the plain burger at Burger King.

Turn off your Dish and go read a book, looks like it would do you a world of good.

[/SIZE]

So, I see you guys like whine with your cheese.:river

No whine, just a knock at Dish's business model. Which I will be leaving behind. I did not realize you all were so enamored with Charlie. It's a service, plain and simple. If I can get what I want from somewhere else then that is where I will go. I just need to wait for the fiber run. Until then I will continue to enjoy my dish service.

Later
JimC