2008 NHL Draft

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
The NHL Draft is coming up on Friday the 20th.

If anyone has Versus, it's on at 7:00 Eastern, 6:00 Central.

Anyway, this is for the hockey fans:

What type of a player does your favorite team need to get to improve the team?

Personally, I think Buffalo needs a defenseman to replace Campbell (They still have some scoreres and a goalie, but someone needs to replace Brian Campbell)

I am a Bruins fan as all right thinking people are. I would say that we need forwards but all i am hearing is that they are looking at defensemen. I guess the logic is that there are supposedly so many talented defensemen out there this year that they will geta bwetter athlete that way.

I am a Bruins fan as all right thinking people are. I would say that we need forwards but all i am hearing is that they are looking at defensemen. I guess the logic is that there are supposedly so many talented defensemen out there this year that they will geta bwetter athlete that way.

Since you're a Bruins fan, let me ask you this:

caseybb90.jpg

WHY did the Bruins give up on Jon Casey?

I will never understand why the Bruins gave up on him.

He had fine numbers all year, and won a playoff series- hell, he beat the defending Cup champ Canadiens TWICE in the Forum and in a Game 7.

Given what happened with Lacher and Ranford, I can't help but wonder why they let Casey get away.

Yes, Dafoe was very good, but I wonder:

If Casey had been with Boston, I think they get revenge on the Devils and maybe look better against Florida the next year.

I think Casey would have fared nicely had he stayed with Boston a few more years.

Casey would have worked out well, IMO, to bridge the gap for Lord Byron.

Red Wings will draft a Defencemen or two, usually late in the rounds they find a gem or two.

Possibly a goalie also, I haven't heard much about the Wings pursuing Martin Biron from Buffalo lately.

Jimbo

I think the wings will go goalie 1st or 2nd round. Like Jimbo said, they always seem to find a gem or 2 in the late rounds with defensemen or forwards.

Pick a team ...
You got Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit all in the general area, using general loooosley !!!
Toronto too....

Jimbo

Everything I stand for tells me to root against everything Pittspuke and Meatchicken. If anything I would latch onto the Blue Jackets, but they lack the ever important nostalgia and history. I guess I will continue to support my local AHL team, Cleveland's own: Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado Avs' affiliate)

Possibly a goalie also, I haven't heard much about the Wings pursuing Martin Biron from Buffalo lately.

Biron doesn't play in Buffalo anymore.

He was, for reasons I won't understand, trading to the Flyers last year.

Why they did, I'll never know.

how bout the cleveland barons/minnesota north stars now dallas stars?

True. Cleveland did dabble in the NHL for a few seasons. However for whatever reason, it just didn't last.

A little history....

The Cleveland Barons (NHL) (1976-1978)

The Barons played in the suburban Richfield Coliseum in Richfield, Ohio, an arena originally built for the WHA's Cleveland Crusaders, with the then largest seating capacity in the NHL of 18,544. The team would never come close to filling the arena in their two years in Cleveland. In 1977, with the team struggling on and off the ice, owner, Mel Swig sold his interest in the team to George and Gordon Gund.

The Gunds invested in the team, and it seemed to make a difference. The Barons stunned the defending Stanley Cup champion Montreal Canadiens on November 23 before a boisterous crowd of 12,859. After a brief slump, general manager Harry Howell pulled off several trades in an attempt to make the team tougher. It initially paid off, and the Barons knocked off three NHL powerhouses--the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabres--three nights in a row in January 1978. A few weeks later, a record crowd of 13,110 saw the Barons tie the Philadelphia Flyers 2-2. The bottom fell out in February, however, as a 15-game losing skid knocked the Barons out of playoff contention.

After the season, the Gunds tried to buy the Coliseum, but failed. On June 14th, 1978, the Barons were merged with another financially troubled team, the Minnesota North Stars (now the Dallas Stars), under the Gunds' ownership. The North Stars assumed the Barons' old place in the Adams Division and Cleveland would be without hockey from 1978-1992. Eventually in 1981, the Gunds were successful in their bid to purchase the Richfield Coliseum, and in 1983, they also purchased the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers.

True. Cleveland did dabble in the NHL for a few seasons. However for whatever reason, it just didn't last.

The primary reason was that they were a bad team. Thy finished fourth in their division both years and just did not draw enough fans to come close to breaking even.

Had the fans had a better team and perhps ownership that seemed to want to keep the team there it might have succeeded bt it was pretty much a disaster.

I think that Cleveland fans were spoiled by the pre expansion AHL Barons they were probably the elite team in the AHl for decades and before expansion that was not such a shabby league. They were probably better than the NHL Barons ever were.

But now with teams in Pittsburgh and Columbus i just don't see the NHl putting a team in Cleveland.

Last edited:
Everything I stand for tells me to root against everything Pittspuke and Meatchicken. If anything I would latch onto the Blue Jackets, but they lack the ever important nostalgia and history. I guess I will continue to support my local AHL team, Cleveland's own: Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado Avs' affiliate)

And everything I stand for tells me to root against everything "Leaveland".

Since you're a Bruins fan, let me ask you this:

caseybb90.jpg

WHY did the Bruins give up on Jon Casey?

I will never understand why the Bruins gave up on him.

He had fine numbers all year, and won a playoff series- hell, he beat the defending Cup champ Canadiens TWICE in the Forum and in a Game 7.

Given what happened with Lacher and Ranford, I can't help but wonder why they let Casey get away.

Yes, Dafoe was very good, but I wonder:

If Casey had been with Boston, I think they get revenge on the Devils and maybe look better against Florida the next year.

I think Casey would have fared nicely had he stayed with Boston a few more years.

Casey would have worked out well, IMO, to bridge the gap for Lord Byron.

I don't recall his overall numbers but they weren't thatt great. He became a free agent and i don't think that anyone offered him much. The bruisn went through golaies pretty quickly in the 90s. Moog, Casey, Ranford, and several others I am balnking out on right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts