2010 NHL Draft- It's Coming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I know it's not as big a deal as the NBA or NFL Draft, but the NHL Draft is going to be interesting this year.

One of this board member's teams is in good position to get a great draft pick, even though they made the playoffs- something that usually doesn't guarantee a high draft pick.

As a result of the Phil Kessel trade with the Maple Leafs (BTW, how do you feel about that transaction?), Bill's Bruins will get the second pick in the draft- which was originally Toronto's, but now belongs to Boston as a result.

Plus, a lot of us hockey fans on here know about drafting players to reload a team (see Detroit's mastery of low picks over the years).

I know it's not as big a deal as the NBA or NFL Draft, but the NHL Draft is going to be interesting this year.

One of this board member's teams is in good position to get a great draft pick, even though they made the playoffs- something that usually doesn't guarantee a high draft pick.

As a result of the Phil Kessel trade with the Maple Leafs (BTW, how do you feel about that transaction?), Bill's Bruins will get the second pick in the draft- which was originally Toronto's, but now belongs to Boston as a result.

Plus, a lot of us hockey fans on here know about drafting players to reload a team (see Detroit's mastery of low picks over the years).
I grew-up just a few miles from the border and have plenty of family in Canada...and I can tell you the NHL Draft dwarfs all others based on square miles. While the draft is certainly important, I think most teams place too much hope on their top prospects. Unlike college football and basketball players, many of these draft eligible kids are much younger and it's extremely difficult to estimate their potential. Personally, I think Detroit has demonstrated they are experts at identifying talented (and coachable) players, and then placing them into a farm systems where they are mentored and developed. As much as I like the draft, I think the farm systems are even more important.

I grew-up just a few miles from the border and have plenty of family in Canada...and I can tell you the NHL Draft dwarfs all others based on square miles. While the draft is certainly important, I think most teams place too much hope on their top prospects. Unlike college football and basketball players, many of these draft eligible kids are much younger and it's extremely difficult to estimate their potential. Personally, I think Detroit has demonstrated they are experts at identifying talented (and coachable) players, and then placing them into a farm systems where they are mentored and developed. As much as I like the draft, I think the farm systems are even more important.

Totally agree with this!

Hockey is more like baseball in that the drafted players are developed through the organizations farm systems, and the Red Wings have proven to be masters at player development the last dozen or so years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts