2010 U.S. Open (PGA)

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

According to the main U.S. Open site, TV coverage for the Open will begin at 10 a.m. PST (1 p.m. EST) on Thursday, June 17. ESPN will get a lot of opening round coverage, taking the ball from 10 a.m. to noon and then 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. PST on Thursday. That schedule will be repeated on Friday for round two, with NBC covering the noon to 2 p.m. PST segment of the coverage. This will allow 2010 U.S. Open coverage from about 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST on both Thursday and Friday, giving quite a bit of time for live coverage of the later tee times. NBC takes over the coverage for themselves during round three and four, coverage that is set to take place on Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately, they might still miss some of the early tee times over the weekend, but at least it looks like the 2010 U.S. Open coverage will be quite extensive for the PGA Tour in the end.

OK, now on to the series discussion of who is going to win this major event...offhand, you got to like Michelson and/or Westwood going into tomorrow's pairings. Westwood won last week at the St. Jude Classic and Michelson finished 5th and is striking the ball well. Additionally, there have been ten (10) PGA tour winners who were in their twenties. With so much up and coming talent predicting a winner cannot be easy.

Another question is how will Tiger Woods fare in this years U.S. Open? So far he is winless this season and his game (swing and personal distractions) has certainly not been up to championship level. Regardless, can Woods pull himself together to defeat the focused veterans, like Michelson, and all the outstanding young golfers like Rory McIlroy, Camilo Villegas, Ricky Barnes, Anthony Kim, and others?

My vote is for Phil Mickelson, but I am hoping that Lee Westwood comes through for his 1st major.

Is Tiger Woods Just a Mortal Player Now?

Source

A decade later, Tiger's open to doubts

Much will be said in reverence in the coming week about the stirring deeds of Tiger Woods at the 2000 US Open.

Ten years later, many rank it as the greatest-ever performance at a major, which it is statistically, and probably spiritually, too, given that Woods ceased to be seen by his contemporaries as a mortal after beating the Lilliputians by a preposterous 15 shots.

“(Fifteen) shots was a big spread,” said Padraig Harrington, “I don't think anybody at that time felt they could have done that even on their very best week. So he did look like he wasn't just one step, he looked like he was probably three steps ahead of everybody else."

But, strangely enough, Woods doesn’t even rank his coronation at Pebble Beach at the top of his personal list of 14 major triumphs.

Full story

Tiger hasn't shown me anything this year that would lead me to believe he will compete in this Tourney.

With that said, gooooo LEFTY!!!
I'm torn between Mickelson and Westwood...but all the young talent may make this a moot decision anyway. I also agree that Woods hasn't show me anything this year to make me think he has anything more than a remote chance of winning this years tournament...but who knows. Perhaps he will stike the ball well and his distance will help him prevail in the windy conditions at Pebble Beach. However, his swing has been so erratic that I see him losing a lot of balls out-of-bounds. We shall see...

Just a couple points:

1) ESPN coverage is the absolute pits; Chris Berman should never be permitted to provide golf commentary.

2) ESPN and milking their coverage of the US Open and taking advantage of the summer rerun season and the fact there is absolutely nothing else worth watching this evening. I must give ESPN credit for this...but Berman and crew are driving people to watch reruns of CSI.

3) Woods is playing reasonably well and Mickelson and Westwood (my favorites) both struggled.

Supposedly the keepers of Pebble Beach cut the brush down along the coastal line pretty low this year. Players are saying this will undoubtedly lead to stronger winds off the coast and pretty tough conditions, especially if that brush isn't there to prevent a ball from going out to the beach. BTW, I heard the beach isn't out of bounds. What are the chances we'll see a player hit from there?

Supposedly the keepers of Pebble Beach cut the brush down along the coastal line pretty low this year. Players are saying this will undoubtedly lead to stronger winds off the coast and pretty tough conditions, especially if that brush isn't there to prevent a ball from going out to the beach.
Additionally, the greens and fairways are cut low, are very hard, and extremely fast. I don't think many, if any, will finish the tounament under par.
BTW, I heard the beach isn't out of bounds. What are the chances we'll see a player hit from there?
This is (or at least was) true as I remember seeing at least a couple golfers playing their ball from the beach back in '72 and '82. Of course, getting down from a cliff and back up again is not always practical.

Additionally, did anyone see how bumpy the greens were yesterday? Yikes!

Tiger is off to a poor start having already bogied holes 2 and 3. You gotta like Phil who is getting ready to tee off within the hour. You also have to like Dustin Johnson's odd of winning it all. Gotta love play at Pebble Beach with primetime coverage of the leaders well into the evening hours.

Tiger is off to a poor start having already bogied holes 2 and 3. You gotta like Phil who is getting ready to tee off within the hour. You also have to like Dustin Johnson's odd of winning it all. Gotta love play at Pebble Beach with primetime coverage of the leaders well into the evening hours.

Off to a poor start but then managed to pull out a pretty good round. He moved up to third for the final round today.

Wow! Did anyone see Dustin Johnson meltdown? He lost 5-strokes on the first five homes and is getting read to drop another. Yikes! Mickelson is 1-under for the day after 5-holes, but the Els is tied for the lead and playing great. Davis Love has is also playing well but perhaps started too far out today to be in contention.

Ernie Els -3 6
Graeme McDowell -3 3
Gregory Havret -1 5
Dustin Johnson -1 3
Phil Mickelson E 6
Davis Love III +1 8
Tiger Woods +1 5

Well, an old favorite Ernie Els is self destructing on the 10th hole. McDowell is playing well and is beginning to look like the winner...just as long as the course doesn't reach out and bit him.

Graeme McDowell -4 7
Ernie Els -2 9
Gregory Havret -1 8
Phil Mickelson E 9
Davis Love III +1 11
Dustin Johnson +1 7
Tiger Woods +2 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)