2012 New HD Local Launches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Per Directv.com, here is the markets planned for HD Locals to launch in 2012:

Bakersfield CA
Bend OR
Columbus-Tupelo-West Point MS
Corpus Christi TX
Duluth MN-Superior WI
Eugene OR
Fargo-Valley City ND
Lafayette LA
Lansing MI
Laredo TX
Medford-Klamath Falls OR
Monterey-Salinas CA
Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN
Topeka KS
Twin Falls ID
Wilmington NC

We'll update this thread as dates are announced (or speculated) throughtout the year.

www.directv.com/hdlocals

BOLD=available
Italics=uplinked...not available yet

These are the markets left with no Directv HD locals that aren't slated for 2012:
Lima, OH
Bowling Green, KY
Charlottesville, VA
Grand Junction, CO
Cheyenne, WY/Scottsbluff, NE
Casper/Riverton, WY
San Angelo, TX
Ottumwa IA/Kirksville, MO
Zanesville, OH (currently SD only)
Alpena, MI
Glendive, MT
Helena, MT
North Platte, NE
Presque Isle, ME
Victoria, TX

Last edited by a moderator:
per website

DIRECTV currently offers local broadcast channels in 195 markets, representing more than 99.4% of U.S. TV households, with 179 markets in HD

so 31 markets left...most of the above markets currently have SD locals

So with this year's additions, they'll be up to 196 and if they add the rest in 2013, then more than likely they'll be the first to have all the locals in HD.

Directv got smart and launched new markets in MPEG4 only.

I think what Dish is lacking is the thought of going to these small markets and getting the locals added in HD. Most small markets have imported stations that are in HD yet Dish can't carry them in that market

Example is the small market down the road (Mankato, MN). CBS & Fox subchannel are the only stations in the market. The fill-ins are from Minneapolis. When Directv added KEYC (CBS Mankato) they got it in HD too so folks in Mankato get the nets in HD (except Fox which is only 480i widescreen). When Dish added all those small markets back 2 years ago they could have really added to their numbers by carrying them in HD. Most spotbeams could fit another 1 or 2 stations on them in HD. But because they dont carry the locals in HD, any imported station has to be in SD too.

I think the Directv site has City listed wrong. It has Wilmington ND, think it should be Wilmington North Carolina. If you do a google search for wilmington ND it brings up zip codes that are for Wilmington NC.

yeah its Wilmington NC....not North Dakota. There are only 2 markets in North Dakota
Fargo/Grand Forks (which is on the list)
Minot/Bismarck/Mandan/Dickinson which I think is already up there in MPEG4

I know back home in MT we got our locals from Minot and I was talking to a few friends from back home and they say that there is still no FOX on D* and no CW-HD feed although they apparently got PBS in HD a short while ago.

Sometime over the weekend D* lit up Columbus, West Point, Starkville, Tupelo market in HD. About time... FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS. Pretty excited because I was using my Media Center laptop networked to my XBOX with a terrestrial tuner to get my locals in HD, but NBC is never a good enough signal where I am. Big plus.

Still no locals in Charlottesville or Harrisonburg, VA. We're in the no man's land in between Richmond VA, DC and Roanoke VA.

Pretty annoying.

When????????

Medford-Klamath Falls OR

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Lafayette, La! Pumped! Been waiting quite a while for this, since all of the other markets in the state are already in HD. Even the much smaller cities. Enough of the ranting and raving. Is there any update on the launch dates of any of the above mentioned markets? DTV mentioned to me earlier in the year May-June time frame and that she got it from the website. But when I went to the website, I saw what was posted here. Just that sometime in the year 2012 we would get them. Which if read the Mayan calendar we could possibly reach the apocalypse before Lafayette gets locals. FML!

There are two markets in Oregon still uplinked in testing, which indicates they should launch soon. Sometimes testing is only a few weeks, sometimes a few months.

Eugene, OR
Medford-Klamath Falls, OR

On a seperate note, there were several stations uplinked for testing adding an HD local to existing markets. Pretty wide variety, some CW's, some Telemundo, etc.

25 536 *WNEU 60 A3 Boston 60 WNEU TMO
39 550 *WSNS 44 Chicago, IL
51 562 *KXTX 39 Dallas, TX
54 565 *KDEN 25 A3 Denver 25 KDEN TMO (D10)
54 565 *KDEN 25 A3 Denver 25 KDEN TMO (D11)
67 578 *WBSF 14 Flint, MI
83 594 *KNVO 48 Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, TX
83 594 *KTLM 40 Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, TX
90 601 *KTMD 47 A3 Houston 47 KTMD TMO
108 619 *KBLR 39 Las Vegas, NV
108 619 *KINC 15 Las Vegas, NV
113 624 *KVEA 52 Los Angeles, CA
123 634 *WSCV 51 Miami, FL
128 639 *WFGX 35 Mobile, AL – Pensacola, FL
134 645 *WLNY 55 New York, NY
134 645 *WNJU 47 New York, NY

DIRECTV Domestic & LatinAm Transponder Maps: New Data 6/13/2012 - Page 3 - DBSTalk.Com

There are two markets in Oregon still uplinked in testing, which indicates they should launch soon. Sometimes testing is only a few weeks, sometimes a few months.

Eugene, OR

On a seperate note, there were several stations uplinked for testing adding an HD local to existing markets. Pretty wide variety, some CW's, some Telemundo, etc.

25 536 *WNEU 60 A3 Boston 60 WNEU TMO
39 550 *WSNS 44 Chicago, IL
51 562 *KXTX 39 Dallas, TX
54 565 *KDEN 25 A3 Denver 25 KDEN TMO (D10)
54 565 *KDEN 25 A3 Denver 25 KDEN TMO (D11)
67 578 *WBSF 14 Flint, MI
83 594 *KNVO 48 Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, TX
83 594 *KTLM 40 Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, TX
90 601 *KTMD 47 A3 Houston 47 KTMD TMO
108 619 *KBLR 39 Las Vegas, NV
108 619 *KINC 15 Las Vegas, NV
113 624 *KVEA 52 Los Angeles, CA
123 634 *WSCV 51 Miami, FL
128 639 *WFGX 35 Mobile, AL – Pensacola, FL
134 645 *WLNY 55 New York, NY
134 645 *WNJU 47 New York, NY

DIRECTV Domestic & LatinAm Transponder Maps: New Data 6/13/2012 - Page 3 - DBSTalk.Com

YES!! Come on

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts