2013 MLB Postseason

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
The Red Sox and Dodgers have already punched their ticket. The Braves, Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Tigers and A's are on the cusp......who will join them? :)

Looking at the schedule, there will be four games on Fri., Oct. 4. Three of the games will be on TBS, and the fourth will be on MLBN.

I think Cleveland will take one of the covered Wild Card spots. We shall see. Regardless, there will be plenty of lively discussion about the Tigers quest to take the World Series Championship, along with the Indians surge into the playoffs, in the AL Central thread. :)

I think Cleveland will take one of the covered Wild Card spots. We shall see. Regardless, there will be plenty of lively discussion about the Tigers quest to take the World Series Championship, along with the Indians surge into the playoffs, in the AL Central thread. :)

I also think the Indians will take one of the WC spots. They have a VERY easy schedule the rest of the way.

The Red Sox have two weeks to get ready for the ALDS, and one of the biggest questions will be the rotation. I think a lot of it will come down to who the opponent is. Everything being equal, I think their rotation will line up like this:

Jon Lester- Games 1 and 5
Clay Buchholz- Game 2
John Lackey- Game 3
Jake Peavy= Game 4

Most teams go with a 3 man rotation in the first round

If you do that, your game 1 starter would only get 3 days rest. However, your game 2 starter would get the full 4 days rest. I could actually see the Dodgers doing this, because their first two starters are vastly superior to their #3 and #4.
Example:

Game 1 (Thur)- Kershaw
Game 2 (Fri)- Greinke
Game 3 (Sun)- Ryu or Nolasco
Game 4 (Mon)- Kershaw (3 days rest)
Game 5 (Wed)- Greinke

Reds and Pirates are pretty much in. One of them would have to lose all 6 of their remaining games and the Nationals would have to win out.

Indians should be one of the WC teams. Really easy week. If they don't they only have themselves to blame. Rays should be the other WC team in the AL. The Rangers have fallen apart in September.

Reds and Pirates are pretty much in. One of them would have to lose all 6 of their remaining games and the Nationals would have to win out.
Now it is just a matter of which of the 3 will be the division winner and which of the other 2 will be the WC.

I usually disagree with this guy, but here in regards to his Sox postseason assessment, he's spot on...

Finishing ahead of Oakland matters, and not simply because of home field. It matters because the team with the best overall record is going to play a frazzled, tired, pitching-depleted opponent in a best-of-five series starting at home a week from Friday. For the Sox, it means staying home and playing a best-of-five against the Rays, Indians, or Rangers. More important, it means not playing a first-round series against the Detroit Tigers.

The difference is enormous. There are no sure things in playoff competition, but your goal is to put yourself in the best position to advance. If the Sox play the Rays, Indians, or Rangers, they should advance; they will be playing a team that struggles through the final weekend to get into a wild-card game, uses one of its best pitchers to win a wild-card game on Wednesday, then travels to Boston to open a best-of-five at Fenway. The Sox went 6-1 against the Indians this year. They went 12-7 against Tampa Bay. They went 2-4 against Texas, but in September of 2013 the Rangers have looked a little like the Red Sox of September 2011.

It’s important for Red Sox to finish first

THIS!!!! A thousand times this!! The difference between the #1 seed and the #2 seed in the AL this year is ginormous!! HFA is only half the story.
The fact is, which they all tend to ignore, in baseball HFA does not give a team an advantage at all. This is a simple fact that ever sports writer can choose to ignore by believing what they want to believe, but believing it to be true does not make it true.

Of course certain match-ups are more favorable for certain teams, but that is independent of being the #1 or #2 seed. Sometimes being #2 or #3 may get you a more favorable match-up than being #1.

No Yankees
that you lord!!!

I'm hoping for a Red Sox/Cards WS but an A's/ Braves WS would be good too

Meh. I'm actually gonna miss the Yankees, and I'm a Red Sox fan. I know this will piss a lot of people off, but the playoffs without them doesn't feel right to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)