2013 NFL Owners Meetings

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Owners meetings start today, below are the recommendations from the competition committee. Will be interesting to see what other business comes from them. This consolidated list is from PFT.

Proposed rule changes

1. A play that would have been automatically reviewed by instant replay will still be reviewed even if a coach throws his challenge flag. Any coach who challenges a play that he’s not permitted to challenge would be charged a timeout, and wouldn’t get his timeout back even if he wins the challenge, or would lose 15 yards if his team is out of timeouts. But the play itself will still be reviewed. Call this the Jim Schwartz Rule. The league will also consider reviewing incomplete passes that are ruled a fumble all the way through the fumble — if a play is ruled on the field to be incomplete and overturned on replay as a fumble, the replay can consider everything that happens after that fumble.

2. Player safety: On field goals and extra points, restrictions are added to what rush teams can do. No more than six defensive players would be permitted to align on either side of the snapper, defensive players can’t push their teammates across the line, and the long snapper is considered a defenseless player.

3. Eliminate the tuck rule.

4. Allow tight ends and H-backs to wear 40-49.

5. Player safety: Offensive players will not be allowed to block low when going toward their own end lines in the tackle box. Can’t go low when peeling back anywhere on the field.

6. Player safety: Initiating contact with the crown of the helmet is a foul if the runner or tackler delivers a forceable blow against his opponent when both players are outside the tackle box.

Proposed bylaw changes

1. The waiver period will be such that a team that claims a player only needs to keep him for one day, not two days.

2. Adjust the physically unable to perform status to allow players on PUP to practice for any three-week period from Week Six through Week 11.

3. Move the final roster cutdown date one day earlier.

New points of emphasis

1. Mandatory thigh and knee pads. This isn’t a new rule but the officials will start actively enforcing the rule, rather than just urging players to wear the pads as they did last year. A player who refuses to comply with the rule won’t be allowed on the field.

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense.

All seem pretty reasonable to me, hoping the crown of the helmet stuff passes to eliminate spearing runners, has always been strange that they weren't reasonably protected. Also removes some of the defenseless receiver designations since using the crown of your helmet in any way supersedes all of that judgement call stuff. I know the tuck rule change was brought up in another thread, but figured it'd be worth starting one for the above changes.

Owners meetings start today.

2. Fields must be maintained up to NFL standards, and the league can require clubs to maintain their fields up to the league’s high standards, at the club’s expense.

This one must be primarily directed at the Redskins, since Adrian Peterson and RGIII went down in consecutive years on their late season crappy field...

FedEx Field is a horrible field come end of the season.

ugh! running back rule passed. oh and the tuck rule too :p

so now the running back has to run up straight,chest out while the D hunts for the guy? a helmet or face mask to the rib cage must feel sweet. i find this ridiculous. am i overreacting here? i'm all for safety in the game but this is going to be weird.

It is ridiculous. That is going to be really hard to do for a running back. Might as well just go to either 2 hand touch or flag football.

ugh! running back rule passed. oh and the tuck rule too :p

so now the running back has to run up straight,chest out while the D hunts for the guy? a helmet or face mask to the rib cage must feel sweet. i find this ridiculous. am i overreacting here? i'm all for safety in the game but this is going to be weird.

Overreacting, you can lower your head/shoulders, just can't hit people with the crown of your helmet. Most runners don't go through people, they take an angle to try and break a tackle.

Calling it the running back rule ignores the defensive impact too, this affects both sides of the ball.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Overreacting, you can lower your head/shoulders, just can't hit people with the crown of your helmet. Most runners don't go through people, they take an angle to try and break a tackle.

Calling it the running back rule ignores the defensive impact too, this affects both sides of the ball.

I wonder just how many times this sort of play will get flagged?I mean think about it,RB sees defender charging forward,he reacts by ducking down,in return the defender lowers his angle,then boom helmet to helmet contact.If they flag them all there will be a lot of penalties this season.My guess is they'll be called just like the Calvin Johnson rule,some refs will call it some won't,once again opening up the rules for a lot of debate.I'm all for safety,but when you completely change the way the players play the game,that's going too far.Players know the risks,they get payed big money to play the game,if ya don't wanna get hit go play basketball.If Roger Goodell has his way,they will soon be playing without helmets,something more akin to flag football.

Helmet to helmet contact is not the same as Delivering a hit with the crown of your helmet.

Via Twitter, 2 weeks last season were sampled and it would have been called 11 times.

i agree it's going to be an issue on both sides of the ball. after reading a few more details i'm a little more reasonable but still think it will be an issue. i get the NFL has to do something to avoid lawsuits but the end result may be a negative one.

Helmet to helmet contact is not the same as Delivering a hit with the crown of your helmet.

Via Twitter, 2 weeks last season were sampled and it would have been called 11 times.

Well,I hope the vast majority of refs don't blow the calls.I'm just afraid too much will be open to interpretation.The call isn't challengeable,so no replay.The speed of the game will make it hard for the naked eye to see if player was intentionally leading with his helmet,or if it was unavoidable contact.Wait and see if there isn't several botched calls on this new rule.

What calm me down a bit is when I realized this rule doesn't apply inside the box. Big difference.not understanding that at first did cause an overreaction on my part.

Of course I do.

IF Baltimore IS Field turf, why is is crap by playoff time every year ?

Edit:
Apparently, I'm thinking of a different place, Baltimore uses Sportexe Momentum 51

Considering 11 of the Ravens last 13 playoff games have been on the road and they've had artificial turf for the last few seasons, you must have been thinking somewhere else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering 11 of the Ravens last 13 playoff games have been on the road and they've had artificial turf for the last few seasons, you must have been thinking somewhere else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, but I can't remember where ...

I know Heinz field is terrible, they had grass, then actually went to Field Turf, players found it too slippery ( that variety) and were forced to go back to grass and it gets worse from there as the Steelers share the field with the Panthers and when the High School playoffs are happening they are played there asa well, the3y potentially could have 4 HS games, the Panthers the next day and the Steelers the next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)