2013 Plasmas

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Yes Jason has is eye on a display this year ;). With the performance of the VT50 last year, my eye is on ZT vs VT. They are both very similar and both use the new red phosphour, but the ZT is a brand new panel separate from the panel used in the VT and ST. The ZT also has the best filter, and one pc of glass this year because they are actually bonding the filter to the panel as opposed to having a second pc of glass. The direct bonded filter has been know to help clarity and halo issues, so we shall see. The MLL of the VT50 was around 0.0025fL, so id expect both the VT to be under two and maybe that ZT will get near that magic 0.001fl mark. I know the VT60 would be more than enough for me, so it all depends on actualy price different between the two.

I hope to buy in late May/June time frame. ST60 should be tremendous bang for the buck. The new Samsung F8500 is also supposed to be bringing this year with black level, and their colors are always great. My dad bought an LG recently and it calibrated very accurately, looks great, but the blacks are just not there with Panasonic and Samsung. Their top tier model below will have a great price though.

ZT60(Gorgeous)
2a139a93-c4ab-4360-b916-9137be415ad1.jpg

VT60
d6ed7708-b831-45cb-8686-8280b5874389.jpg

ST60
v3_ST60_01_700.jpg

Samsung 8500 (nice looking set)
samsung_F8500_610x407.jpg

LG PH6700 (only 60")
lot60ph6700_1.jpg

Feature--ST--VT--ZT

Filter--Infinite Black Pro--Infinite Black Ultra--Ultimate Black

Panel-- Neo Plasma--Neo Plasma Black--Neo Plasma Black

Focused Field Drive--2500--3000--3000

Shades of Gradiation--12,288--30,720--30,720

1080p Pure Direct--No--Yes--Yes

DCI 98% Color Space--No--Yes--Yes

Clear Resolution/Dot NR--No--Yes--Yes

THX Mode--No--Yes--Yes

ISF--No--Yes--Yes

Hexa VP engine--No--Yes--Yes

Last edited:
Panasonic EPP has the "S" and "ST" models up for pre-order, with an April timeframe to ship. They arent taking orders yet for the "ZT". Im VERY interested in a TC-P60ZT60 this year.

ZT is gonna be a fine pc of equipment. If Im buying early, Im sticking with the VT since it's basically a refresh of last years model with better video processing and the new red phosphor. It already had tremendous black level and reference color, so hopefully the VT60 wont much that up. ZT will be one nice machine I bet.

Hey! 1.5 years if broken in! Im not selling the GT30 though, its calibrated and I like it to much, its staying in the home!

Hopefully the VT6065" is only about 2 months out, with the ZT being 3.

LOL. I've been keeping up with Panasonic for a long time, some of it is marketing hype for sure. The VT50 was a reference display, so the VT60 is just about a sure bet. Once the actual pricing comes out, I imagine the preorders will drop some, and then we will see.

Guess's on the ZT60 65" are anywhere from $3400 to $4200. $3400, OK, $4200, no way.

I've been telling you for years. Get a front projector and you'll stop looking at the new plasmas that come out each year:)

Well, my plans got changed. A good friend was over last night, and he is the guy that buys a lot of my stuff when I upgrade (Denon, subwoofer, old Panny plasma). He looked at the GT30 and said "Im about ready to finish the man cave and want to move the 58" in there, when you gonna sell me this one?". I said "I've been looking at upgrading, I'll sell it for $1300". He took the deal right away. I think Im gonna take his $1300, and grab a VT50 65" ASAP. It's a huge upgrade from my GT30 in black level (0.005fl to 0.002) and it's one of the most accurate displays of 2012.

SOLD! :)

I've seen a few of those this AM. I'm still sticking with they plan a 3-4 year out, it would not surprise me because they are teaming with Sony for OLED. The new Samsung F8500 this year is by early accounts pretty darn nice, so even if Panasonic leaves Samsung could hang out a little longer. I personally do not see plasma leaving until OLED is ready and has dropped in price. LED LCD had crapped the bed pretty much, with everything damn near being sidelit, and still pricey on the decent models. Hopefully they can get down to 2-3 models every year and sustain it until we have something decent. That being said, the model I have, and most likely the models this year are nearing the Kuro in black level, and just about surpassed it in a lot of areas.

Grab one in the next year or two and that will get you to OLED. Im still not convinced OLED is our savior anyways.

Hands on with VT60 and HD Guru. Not much here, but it seems like with the black level measurements Ive been seeing on the VT60 and ST60, they are just refreshes from last and not a lot of improvement. Not a bad thing though because the ST50 and VT50 were nice displays.

ZT60 I would think will be lower though.

Link

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)