2014-15 NFL Play-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady and Manning are great QB's in the "can't touch the QB" era of the NFL. I agree that Peyton Manning is great, but his brother has a better post-season record. Unitas, Montana, Elway, Aikman, Bradshaw, and Favre to an extent are all great for any era. I can't include Marino in that group for the same reason I don't include Dan Fouts - no Championship wins.

Reactions: dfergie
Brady and Manning are great QB's in the "can't touch the QB" era of the NFL. I agree that Peyton Manning is great, but his brother has a better post-season record..

Eli is the antithesis of his big brother. Very pedestrian in the regular season and then steps it up in the postseason.

Reactions: Rey
B8z0rsfCIAArWpU.jpg:large

Reactions: Rey and BillD1984
I don't credit Brady for the win as much as I credit the defensive backs coach who must have seen something in the films, and alerted the DB to be ready for an inside pass play in that situation. It's pretty clear to me that the DB was sitting on that play.

I can remember John Madden being carried off by his players at the end of Super Bowl XI, and the sun was clearly still out. That game was in Pasadena , so I'm guessing the game started at 4:00pm ET (1PM local time).

I remember the start times in the early years at or around 3PM CST, my location. Long time ago though, so I may be wrong.

I think the QBs get too much credit and blame, especially in SBs. Take Joe Montana - the Niners won SB 16 because of a great goal line stand and in SB 23, the play before Joe hit John Taylor with the winning TD he hit a Bengal DB in the chest, but he dropped it and the rest was history. One of Pittsburg's SBs was won because Jackie Smith dropped a ball in the end zone when he was wide open. Eli Manning would be 0-2 if it weren't for 2 incredibly lucky catches, etc, etc, etc.

Reactions: Jimbo and BillD1984
I don't credit Brady for the win as much as I credit the defensive backs coach who must have seen something in the films, and alerted the DB to be ready for an inside pass play in that situation. It's pretty clear to me that the DB was sitting on that play.
They ran a similar play in practice, except in practice the WR wasn't jammed, thwarting the pick play attempt and leading to a TD.

I think the QBs get too much credit and blame, especially in SBs. Take Joe Montana - the Niners won SB 16 because of a great goal line stand and in SB 23, the play before Joe hit John Taylor with the winning TD he hit a Bengal DB in the chest, but he dropped it and the rest was history. One of Pittsburg's SBs was won because Jackie Smith dropped a ball in the end zone when he was wide open. Eli Manning would be 0-2 if it weren't for 2 incredibly lucky catches, etc, etc, etc.
All great points!! More than any of the North American "Big Four", football is so dependent on everyone doing their job. In baseball a pitcher can dominate, in hockey a hot goalie can shutdown the opposition, and to a lesser extent a hot shooter can dominate a basketball game. I do think that the QB is the most important cog on a football team, but he does depend on a lot of other variables relative to other sports.

19e9dpw4jsj7ypng.png

Here's a chart that shows the start times of previous Superbowls.

Since 1991 they've all started after 6 pm est.
I saw that posted earlier ....
I really think the 4:30, 5 pm time slot would be great, this way it's over at a reasonable time any you could still party afterwards a bit if your working the next day.

Reactions: hallrk
Or if moved to Saturday then I wouldn't mind a late schedule. For most of us with early starts on a Monday, it would help not feel like your ass was kicked the night before on your way to work. I'm sure nothing will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts