2015 Dish Price Increase

New York City gets (20) local channels. Obviously a whole bunch of them are independents. I suspect most markets are very similar to yours or mine, 5-6 local channels.

I get 42 locals in the Mobile/Pensacola DMA. Many are religious channels and a few shopping, but a lot have good programming. We get Country music videos, Me/tv, bounce, 6 PBS feeds, Weather Nation, plus 4 major nets and CW and 2 other independants. Our local black owned station even runs old Amos and Andy reruns.

If people would stop paying other people millions of dollars for the ability to throw, catch, kick, or hit round (or roundish) things our Dish bill would be a lot more reasonable. But they do, so they sell the rights to watch these teams of people exhibit their skills while the rest of us can sit in front of our widescreen and bask in the knowledge that most of us will never make as much in a lifetime as one of those people on TV make in a year.

But what do I know? I keep paying more and more money to Dish because the alternative is Comcrap or U-verse.

Reactions: Jim S. and TheKrell
People don't mind a small price increase, but they oppose paying for the hundreds of channels that they don't watch. That will eventually be the demise of Dish and the others unless they start letting us customize our packages.

Truer words have never been spoken

I get 42 locals in the Mobile/Pensacola DMA. Many are religious channels and a few shopping, but a lot have good programming. We get Country music videos, Me/tv, bounce, 6 PBS feeds, Weather Nation, plus 4 major nets and CW and 2 other independants. Our local black owned station even runs old Amos and Andy reruns.

So, I'm paying for Amos and Andy and not getting it? That pisses me off.

Reactions: navychop
Nope, just venting. It bothers me that I pay for a regional sports network (I pay the same rate as other cities that get them) and don't get one. I've been a subscriber since 2000, but Verizon Fios is looking better and better every day. A large cache of content on an EHD is the only thing keeping me form making the switch at this point.

But, you are a wanderer. Find a place that has many locals and put down some roots. Plus, Dish only carries 12 of our locals and the guide of a few more. I get 42 OTA.

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic in reference to BobMurdoch's post above. Obviously, we all get different channels around the country even though we pay the same for various packages from Dish.

Now to be fair, can we get DTV or Comcast price increases?

I just looked at my Comcast bill and starting on Jan 1st, 2015, some minor increases for things like modems, service calls and protection plans, but no increases at all in packages. But their non-promo pricing looks to be in line with everyone else.

Digital Economy (like Dish America): $39.95
Digital Starter (like AT120+): $67.75
Digital Preferred (like AT250): $85.70

Although I do think that Comcast offers a few more channels than Dish for the equivalent packages.

I've observed that Comcast staggers and stages their price increases throughout the year. It is likely a slight-of-hand maneuver to shrug off global price increase scrutiny. While this round involves some hardware and the "Broadcast TV Fee" doubling for some, the next round will cover some other class of fees. It takes a while to shift from one revenue extraction model to another. ;)

I had the same cost insert as I have Comcast for Internet, where it gets crazy Is the equipment fees for a similar set up of my two Hopper/one joey

Reactions: Tampa8
I had the same cost insert as I have Comcast for Internet, where it gets crazy Is the equipment fees for a similar set up of my two Hopper/one joey

This is why I love my Tivo's. Equipment fees are just too steep with most pay-tv providers.

One thing about Comcast is that you can watch a lot of content (VOD plus 50 live channels) on a pc connected to a tv. Saves $9.95 for a stb.

If you don't need too elaborate of a set up then Dish still offers the best solution for customers. A 722k receiver is tough to beat for a customer that has multiple TVs in the house but only one or two people watching TV in the house. You can hook every TV up in the house to a 722 very easy and there is no extra cost to do so. The only extra fee is $7 for the DVR. I know it has it's limitations but it's still one of the best solutions I've seen from any provider.

The last time I looked at what Mediacom had for rates I was blown away and all of their miscellaneous charges for equipment and other fees.

Time Warner used to, and still may, charge for remote-control rental and program guide. To break them out like that is silly (just include them as part of the set-top charge).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)